Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM
aminklein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy customer service

Originally Posted by acerc
I had a similar issue with TBM over* some spinners and props. They, for whatever reason, just don't care. And therefore I don't care for them. There is nothing on their site that can not be bought else where. As with the OP and many, many , many of others in our dealing's with TBM can say with experience TBM SUCKS! PERIOD!!
I, like so many others have had similar issues. Recently I bought a new set of retracts. I had a problem with one of them, and I sent it back for repairs. The following email to them describes the problem:
"Several weeks ago I had a problem with a new retract that Ipurchased from you for a ME-109 Messerschmitt 73”. In accordance with your instructions I sentin the retract for repairs. The block thatholds the strut on the retract tightens with a socket head screw to hold thestrut in place. After tightening thescrew two or three times it became frozen and would not move. Also I damaged the head of the socket screw,so that the allen wrench could not get a grip. I sent the retract to you for repairs about three weeks ago. Today I received another retract. It is a replacement, and most likely a usedone. This is obvious because the samesocket head screw is frozen, and the head of the screw is damaged. Now I have the same problem that I had threeweeks ago – a useless retract, and an airplane that I’ll not be able to fly inthe foreseeable future.

The least you could have done (besides sending me areplacement retract) was to check to see that it was in operatingcondition. I can’t send it back to youbecause I’m leaving for an extended vacation in 12 days.

Obviously, I’m very upset with the quality of your customerservice, and I’ll address this in various forums on the web. This is part of the reason that your companyis developing such a poor reputation on these forums. There really is no excuse for this kind ofnegligence and sloppy customer service. Now I have to find a local machine shop to remove the socket head screwand make some sort of repair. This iswhat I should have done three weeks ago, if I had known what to expect fromyou.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with yourcompany. Needless to say, I will not bedealing with your company in the future."

The emailed me and told me that my comments about their customer service were "offensive". In all honestly they told me that they'd reimburse me for any costs of local repairs, but I'm not interested in dealing with them again.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM
gizmospal

So far I have mixed thoughts about TBM. I bought the ESM Ju87b and when I sent back some photos and comments about the pumpkin orange colored cowl and tail which is supposed to be bright yellow, they appologised and sent me(free) a set of swastikas that I can apply to the vertical fin and complete the scale look. When I finally got to the elevator and stab part of the assembly I found one of the stabs had broken parts. I could glue it together, but not do anything about the cracked and chipped off paint. I sent pix and comments and spoke about the horrible Chinese plans and useless pre-drilled holes in various parts. The reply was quite ho-hum, 'we all know about Chinese plans' , and how I could go to Lowes and match the color and buy sable bottles and do it myself. Now offer of repair or compensation . Fine. Lowes is 300 miles away, and I too wonder if I will ever buy from Troy or ESM again.....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
HOT COALS

WAR HOG I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR GOING THROUGH. I ORDERED A SET OF WINGS .BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY PLANE. THE WING I RECIEVED THE HOLES DID NOT MATCH THE FUSAGE. ALSO I CAN UNDERSTAND FLYING A PLANE WITH NO PILOT, IF THIS PLANE WAS BUILT RIGHT TO PUT A COCKPIT IN IT, ALSO NO INSTRUMENT PANEL. I DON't BLAME TBM THEY DID NOT BUILD THIS PEASE OF CRAP. NO MORE FROM ESM MODELS.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi guys,
A few of you gentlemen seem to enjoy trashing TBM. Personally, I've had good support from them and the only problem I see from them, is having enough stock on hand. Try building your own...then you can look yourself in the mirror and do all the complaining you want.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 AM
oldbassard

Bob, I personally, I think building your own is a great idea. That way they don't look "Cookie Cutter". I have noting against ARF's except for the fact, I don't want my airplanes looking like hundreds or maybe even thousands of others in the nation.

I think having a way to let other people know what kind of quality and service they get by buying from internet dealers here might help to make the dealer care a little more about what they stick into a box and send out after all, enough complaints about enough problems will have to cost them sales, after enough sales go down the tubes, either they go broke or walk the chalk..

TBM has a few planes I was interested in but after seeing a lot of the posts here, as you said, I think I will build my own.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM
HOT COALS

WELL SAID. YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH TBM. PEOPLE I TALKED TO WHERE POLITE & PRODUCT WAS SENT OUT ON TIME. MY PROBLEM IS ORDERING SPARE PARTS THAT DON'T FIT LIKE THE ORIGNAL. PLUS NOT HAVING THE SPARE PARTS ON HAND, THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT 6mons FOR . BUT IN THE FUTURE ILL BUILD MY OWN KNOWING IT WILL BE GLUED RIGHT. AND AT LEAST TO LOOK SCALE INSIDE & OUT.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
motor12

I for one hate these trash a vendor threads. I have dealt with this vendor many times and have been satisfied with the service each time. Because of this I felt I needed to say so.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a TBM product-after reading the thread.........
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
bikerbc

Thank you for the heads up . Like some other have said I vote with my money .. ( I like that saying ) I would far sooner deal with somebody that stands behind their stuff like Hanger 9 does .
Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have always had trust issues with online vendors. I usually do not purchase something from them unless I get positive feedback from others who have used them. Companies like SIG, Tower, Century Jet, and a few others have a good rep.

Sig has an Outstanding rep, and I highly recommend them if they have something you need. I am constantly amazed at how quickly I receive something from them once it ships. I ordered some stuff from them over the holidays and taking those days into consideration, I did not expect the stuff to ship until after the first. It shipped on the second and was at my door the next day. They have always been responsive to my emails, especially when I had an issue. When I had bought a 4star120 ARF and the wing snapped off in flight, I sent them some photos showing the lack of glue at a key point in the wing, along with the box with the price tag where I bought it, and they sent me a replacement Kit and covering. They did not have any more ARF, or they would have sent that, but I preferred the kit since I could modify it as I wished, and that is one sweet flying plane.

Century Jet seems to be an OK company, they responded to my emails, though shipping was a bit longer than expected, but it was over the holidays, so taking that into consideration. Once I have the retracts in hand, I will have a better view on them.

Tower Hobbies, all I can say is, I need to change my shipping address to my house, seems like every time I order something, it arrives on a Saturday. Oher than that, the order processes quickly, and there was one instance where my card didn't go through, they called me and got it straightened out right away.

VVRC is another one that seems to have a good rep. I ordered an XYZ 20 from them when they had a sale and it arrived within a few days, all setup and ready to go, they even do a run in to make sure it works before they ship it.

There were a couple Chinese places I ordered from too, Hobbypartz and Hobbyking, both shipped everything, and all arrived promptly, though I heard their support sucks. Because of that I only order things that I either wont need support on, or are cheap enough in that if they fail I am not losing a lot of money on, case in point the battery for my DX8, $18 for it, one cell died, oh well, thankfully not while it was in use with a plane in the air. I now have an $18 one S 1800 mah battery that I can use on something else.

When a company is serious about selling things, no matter what the market is, if they also have to supply support, they better know what they are doing, and do it well, or they will not last long. In days past, it took a long time to get a rep, good or bad, today, you can get a rep in days, especially bad ones.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been very happy with TBM. One item was a problem that I purchased through them. They jumped on it and included the mfg,

I will continue to order products from them.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

have bought alot of stuff from Troy Built will buy again these threads need to stop . I went to K-mart bought something now I want a new one
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Well i guess i will add to the Drama of TBM, I ordered a stinson and they shipped it about 2 weeks later and finally got it and the fuse had several holes in it, they told me to box just the fuse and UPS will come get it on Monday. I sent pictures and everything and then Bill told me they will pick up, well Monday came around Tues/wend./thurs/fri. so i called and of course they tell me there was a mis communication with UPS and they will pickup Fri well Fri came around and nothing and then Monday/tues/wend. that is when the bomb went off, I called them and they said the problem is with UPS ya right, they will pick up for sure on Thurs well guess what they came fri. I called them and gave them a tracking number and please send my new fuse ASAP well that was 2 weeks ago and I just got off the fricken phone with them and I said where is my fricken tracking number, they said you know this all takes time with UPS I said look good customer service would of had a new fuse in the mail as soon as I sent the pictures and YOU IDIOTS need to deal with UPS, then he said that is the
best i can do for you either like it or not and then hung up, SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THERE MODELS LOOK ELSE WHERE even if you have to pay a few bucks more because there customer services SUCK. I would not buy another fricken thing from them a>>h
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Bcolici

Wow this bites big time. They have an airframe that I really want and now I'm hesistant to order from them.
Can someone shoot me a pm if they know of an alternate vendor with similar airframes.
I was going to give them a shot but the last post topped it off.
Whats up TBM??

Last edited by Bcolici; 08-13-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM
2.4ghs

Well so far they suck, I have still not gotten a tracking number of a plane in stock
3 weeks + there cust. service is bad. I would get an airframe from China faster
Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 AM
2.4ghs

just got a call new plane will be in mail tomorrow, we will see
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
HOT COALS

All what i ordered tbm, never did get a tract #. But did recieve it in a timly maner. No problem their.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM
HOT COALS

2.4gh ,, WHAT MOTOR ARE YOU GOING TO USE ???. I HAVE THE OS 33gt IN MINE. AND IT FLIES GREAT. JUST WATCH YOUR THROTLE SETTINGS ON LANDING. .
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM
2.4ghs

Originally Posted by HOT COALS
2.4gh ,, WHAT MOTOR ARE YOU GOING TO USE ???. I HAVE THE OS 33gt IN MINE. AND IT FLIES GREAT. JUST WATCH YOUR THROTLE SETTINGS ON LANDING. .
im going to run the DLE 30, should be perfect.

I am thinking it should fly just like a big cub
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Bcolici

2.4, did you get your plane??
Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM
2.4ghs

Originally Posted by Bcolici
2.4, did you get your plane??

order yours but Max you need to talk to Bobbi and no one else if you can help it
I got the tracking number and its on its way should get it next wends. you can also tell
him that a guy in Albq. said to call. He will know who i am im very sure of that sense
I was about ready to go down to Florida and whip someones a>>.

very nice guy and understands what customer service really is, DO NOT TALK TO BILL if you can help it
it will take forever for you to get anything.

Last edited by 2.4ghs; 08-15-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Bcolici

Thanks.
Maybe someone needs to drop Gene a call.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM
2.4ghs

Already did that. waiting for reply
Old 10-11-2015, 03:30 AM
TPerk
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, did you ever get the problem worked out with TBM or ESM? I am looking at the ESM B25 but I have not ordered it yet. Have you ever order any thing from ARF Pros
Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TPerk
Hi, did you ever get the problem worked out with TBM or ESM? I am looking at the ESM B25 but I have not ordered it yet. Have you ever order any thing from ARF Pros
Vq warbirds is going to the new ESM importer. Do yourself a favor and contact them. Stay clear of TBM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.