Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 AM
TPerk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinks. Did you ever get the problem work out with your plane.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:17 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I dealt with ARF pros and had a vey good experience with them but it was a couple of years ago
Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Vq warbirds is going to the new ESM importer. Do yourself a favor and contact them. Stay clear of TBM.

AMEN to that statement, TPerk if you can help it go to Vq if they have what your looking for. I did get it worked out but never ever got a call from Gene. The customer service sucks in
less you talk to the right person there,
Old 10-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Guys,
I've had the best customer service one would ever dream of from Tomas at VQ Warbirds. He is to me, the man that has set the standard for after market support. Tomas is amazing and once you do business with him...you will understand what I'm saying.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-11-2015, 07:23 PM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Aloha Guys,
I've had the best customer service one would ever dream of from Tomas at VQ Warbirds. He is to me, the man that has set the standard for after market support. Tomas is amazing and once you do business with him...you will understand what I'm saying.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
That is what I always heard. sure beats TBM
Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aloha Guys,
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Tomas is the best-he helped me resolve a issue with getting parts for a airplane he did not sale-he has earned my business!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 AM
TPerk

Well I just order the F7F from TBM and the sales person was James, He pulled the plane from the ware house and checked the wings and engine nacelles before he had it shipped out to make sure there where no large gaps in the wings and engine nacelle. I should have it on Mon or Tues, I will let you guys know how it really is when I receive it. I spoke with a ArfPros, Magnum models and VQ Warbirds about opening the box and checking the plane before shipping one out and they all said that they could not do that, I sure hope that James at TBM did what he said he did.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 AM
TPerk

May I ask what you guys used for there CG, The mauls said 117 mm on the out board side of the engine nacelle, yet TBM said to use the 25% of the wing for a good starting point.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Bob Paris

Hay TPerk,
I would suggest you go over the Multi Engine section of RCU and look it up. There is a long write up on the airframe. The Kemp and ESM F7F are the same airframe.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin...-tigercat.html

This should give you all the information you need on the assembly and build of the model.

My ESM F6F and Skyraider both needed a CG adjustment from the ESM manual. Both of these models I needed to move forward the C.G. and both fly well. I would start out at 25% and go from there, but call TBM they will give you the correct CG, I did on both my models and I was informed to move the C.G. forward a bit.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-17-2015, 02:29 AM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Glad I read this thread, I was just about to purchase from TBM.....I'll stay clear away from those guys
Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 AM
TPerk

Hi I just ordered The F7F from TBM and the sales person that I used was James, he seemed to be a good guy, even Magnum models said he was a good person to work with. I have not receive it yet. James said the he was going to check the plane over before he sent it out. He said that They don't usually do this but he would check it over any way, be for shipping it out, he called and said that where no l larger gaps in the wing and engine nacelles, as was my concern, after reading this post. I guess I will see what it looks like on Monday and post what I find when I receive it.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Bob Paris

Aloha Gentlemen,
In all honesty I too have had a good experience with Troy Built Models. I now purchase all my ESM Warbird models and supplies from Tomas at VQ Warbirds, but I do purchase my servo's from T.B.M. I've never had a problem with T.B.M., but my customer service from Tomas at VQ Warbirds is so outstanding, I look on his web site first and if he does not have what I need, I buy from T.B.M.

Several of you gentlemen have ripped a good hole in T.B.M., but they never did me wrong.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-21-2015, 02:02 AM
TPerk

Well I just received my F7F Tiger Cat, I am sorry to say that EMS need to better quality control, There where no landing gear in the kit and the rudder has finger prints in the paint, and some thing that is stuck to the rudder, see pic. I am not sure how to remove this from the top of the rudder, with out messing up the paint. I can't get the fuel tanks in the engine nacelle, they want fit unless I cut the frame work out and then reinstall the frame work. WOW no forethought going on at EMS. I would not buy a EMS plane again. The wing tubes are not long enough to they are 23 1/2" long and they should have been 27" long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151020_052611[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	2126691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151020_052447.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	2126695  

Last edited by TPerk; 10-21-2015 at 06:48 AM. Reason: need to ad pix
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Bcolici

Wow,sorry to hear.
As for the fingerprints you could try some polishing compound to see if they come out and then some hand glaze.
These can be found at your local auto parts store if you dont have them.
Can the frame work be taken apart carefully using ca debonder to soften up the adhesive?? Or a different size or shape tank used to fit, and secured some way.

Or return it. Really depends on what you decide though.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
rccomb

I bought a yak54 on clearance from TBM last year , box was in pretty bad shape when I got it and I think some hardware was lost, and aileron control rods where the wrong size . No paperwork at all ,

I think they just cleaned up some pieces , they had left over and put um in a box , I did get a complete airframe though
Old 02-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Bob Paris

Aloha Guys,
I had an issue with my PTE 36R I purchased from Troy Built Models. The engine was out of warrantee by a few months and they fixed it for free and gave me a two week turn around. They were prompt when I sent them my first e-mail and I needed to pay for shipping.

TBM is not the importer of ESM models and have no control on what condition the models do come in. So to blame them for a poor quality kit is kind of sad to hear. I've been in the model hobby for over 50 years and the quality of the China made kits vary widely, from to notch to poor. Every ARF and "you build kits" I buy, I always check them out as soon as I receive the kit. I have had even kits you build, missing parts and in one case...the plans and hardware. Its not that unusual and I do believe that a phone call or e-mail requesting the missing or parts needed to be replace...if spoken with respect and in a request will get you much better results then calling them and reading the company the riot act.

TBM is to me is not the villain a few have stated here.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM
KiwiKid

Originally Posted by TPerk
WOW no forethought going on at ESM. I would not buy an ESM plane again. The wing tubes are not long enough to they are 23 1/2" long and they should have been 27" long.
Yep, if you are thinking of buying an ESM airplane it pays to do some research. Check out this post regarding their Kite glider (also sold by TBM) : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=139
Old 02-02-2016, 03:17 PM
rccomb

I wasn't saying I woulden't do business with TBM anymore , they did include some goodies with my engine and I got my servos , batteries, regulator , and switch from them at the same time . just kinda raised my eyebrow at
wrong size aileron rods and condition of box, which could have been U P S , but have never had one that looked like that before. Bye the way ordered over the phone and seemed like a nice fellow
Old 02-02-2016, 05:38 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Aloha Guys,
I had an issue with my PTE 36R I purchased from Troy Built Models. The engine was out of warrantee by a few months and they fixed it for free and gave me a two week turn around. They were prompt when I sent them my first e-mail and I needed to pay for shipping.

TBM is not the importer of ESM models and have no control on what condition the models do come in. So to blame them for a poor quality kit is kind of sad to hear. I've been in the model hobby for over 50 years and the quality of the China made kits vary widely, from to notch to poor. Every ARF and "you build kits" I buy, I always check them out as soon as I receive the kit. I have had even kits you build, missing parts and in one case...the plans and hardware. Its not that unusual and I do believe that a phone call or e-mail requesting the missing or parts needed to be replace...if spoken with respect and in a request will get you much better results then calling them and reading the company the riot act.

TBM is to me is not the villain a few have stated here.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

I had a SIG Cub kit and it was missing some pieces, and like you said, a nicely worded email and 2 days later had the missing parts. I also found the decals were bent in both kits, so I brought that to their attention and they changed the packing process so the decals were on the bottom and not the top so they wouldnt get bent during shipping.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

DO AS DICK T. SAID...HOWEVER, I HAVE HAD A LOT MORE LUCK WITH THIS:

"REASONABLE TIME" HAS COME AND GONE...I NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THE MONEY. I AM GOING TO PROSECUTE YOU AND YOUR COMPANY OWNERS FOR "MAIL FRAUD". THE FTC (FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION) HAS THE POWER TO STOP ALL IMPORTS COMING INTO MY COUNTRY FROM YOUR SUPPLIERS..

YOU HAVE ALL THE RECORDS. I SUGGEST YOU HOLD AN EMERGENCY MEETING WITH YOUR LEGAL DEPARTMENT AND SEE WHAT IS COMING.

YOU HAVE MY CONTACT INFORMATION: CONTACT ME BY xxxxxxxxxxxx. OR LOOK FORWARD TO BEING HANDCUFFED.. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST RODEO..
Old 04-05-2017, 05:27 AM
eagleone622
My Feedback: (36)

If they are so great...WHY IS THERE NO MORE TBM????? Not even a website!!!!!!!!!!! THEY SUCKED !!