Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Need help please...Taylorcraft crash

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Need help please...Taylorcraft crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please...Taylorcraft crash

Hi, I crashed my Hangar 9 Taylorcraft due to aileron servo stripping... Should of put 645's in it.. Guys check your servo mounts in the wing. Very poorly done..
Can someone please measure the width and height of the motor firewall for me? I am rebuilding entire forward fuse.
Thanks a lot.... Mike
Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 AM
flartz

Sorry to hear that Mike. Just measured my H9 Taylorcraft 20cc. Maximum width of firewall is 215mm. Maximum height of firewall is 180mm. Difficult to measure really accurately without removing everything - to much in the way - so these values are very close, but not absolutely exact. Hope that helps. Good luck. Sean
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Spiritwind

Thanks a lot Sean. Should be close enough.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
bikerbc

I am with flartz on this one.. It is difficult to get bang on accurate with out pulling a bunch of stuff off and I am sorry but I am to lazy .. His measurements are very close... Did you not keep the broken pieces ? You should always keep the broken pieces for measuring purposes...It would sure be nice if we got a set of plans with these higher end ARFs so that we could rebuild them in the unfortunate event of a crash...Or even if there was a set available..I am interested to know how the 20cc pulls the TC around...I have the G26 in mine but have not flown it yet... The servos the come with the Taylor Craft are crap.. I had two let the smoke out before getting off the work bench...My throttle wasent even hooked up to the carb.. Just screwed down into the plane.. When I plugged it in I thought I was on fire.. One Elevator servo cooked itself too.. I had it all hooked up and working and the next thing you know it is smoking...Those servos are no longer available.. I think they are The Spektrum A6000 .. Horizion was great about it the replaced the throttle servo and gave me two new ones for the elevators because the are supposto match.... The gave me Spektrum A 6020 servos which are much better servos...I would replace all the A6000 servos if thats what you have...I am thinking that if they have discontinued them they must be junk.. You have had trouble with them I have had trouble with them and I have read about others having trouble with them.. It could be there was a bad batch or maybe if they work they work and if they cook they cook...But I would far sooner run 645's in fact I might switch my 6020's out and put them into something I don't care so much about untill they prove themselves..
Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Spiritwind

Yes I have the pieces but they are pretty mangled. They used very cheap plywood in this plane. The fuse folded like a deck of cards because it is all slotted construction. Plus they have removed so much of the wood to make it lighter it is not stucturally sound. As is out of the box it is a crash waiting to happen. All the glue looks like the kind used in heated glue guns, very weak and crappy.
Rebuilding with stronger wood and cross bracing. Putting 645s thru out. Will post pics of crash and rebuild soon.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 AM
flartz

Mike and Ken. I have Spektrum A6020's in my Taylorcraft. Hope they are OK. Mine seemed to be pretty well put together, but I suppose the proof is in the flying over a period of time. It is powered with an OS GT22. Had to deviate from the manual a bit because, unlike the Zenoahs, OS petrol engines have a rear carb. It's been ready to maiden for 2 months, but the winter weather has been so awful here lately (windy) that I haven't flown it yet. Hopefully I will get it up in the next few weeks as the weather improves. Spring soon. Ken, there are plenty of reports on RCU that teh H9 Taylorcraft flies well with both 20cc or 26cc engine. More power with the 26, of course. I'll report back in due course. Cheers. Sean
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 AM
bikerbc

Sean I think the A6020 servos are going to be a super servo.. They are digital metal geared and have 146 oz of torque ..I was just a bit nervous because the A6000 servos seemed like such duds ..