Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Piper Tri Pacer ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Piper Tri Pacer ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Stormrider51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
I'm the one who feels for you. You have put a lot of time into this plane. Something as basic and necessary as the placement of a motor mount should have been done correctly at the factory. So should have all the other problems you have dealt with. You have done me a great favor with this thread in that I won't be buying this model. I'll continue to follow along because I want to see the pics when you finally fly it.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was right in the assumption that the centering "cross hairs" laser etched on the
firewall were off, the horizontal one is correct but the vertical one was of by approx.
9/32". I laid tape on the firewall marking the horizontal line on it and then measured
from each side of the firewall to get my center, using a compass I preset the approx.
distance in and then kept adjusting to get dead center of the horizontal line and then
measured above and below the horizontal line 1 3/16" (half of the engine mount width)
to get my upper and lower line-up marks, clamped down engine mount making sure
the marks on the engine mount were on the centering lines. using my "dead center
hole locator", I marked the firewall for the new mounting holes. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK378&P=ML
BTW for all of you new guys, whether you are assembling ARF's, building kits or
scratch building, this is a must have in you shop tools. Had to do a little more surgery
on the cowl but now I fits correctly.

For all of you out there that purchased this ARF, I am sending my comments to Hobby People's
technical staff on this one so maybe the next batch of these ARF kits will be corrected. But all in
all this should turn out to be quite a nice airplane.

Also would like to thank my advisor and mentor for many years, Farley, for all of the advise and
support he has given when I have a problem and can't quite figure it out, he's my go to guy, just
a phone call away.

Will be posting pics this evening, have to pick up a new card for my 35mm digital camera.

Bill D.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

if the firewall is built offset for thrust, the vertical line will not be centered on firewall, but off the left (driver side) so that prop hub will be centered with cowl opening

EDIT
I did read that you are aware of this on page 4, so just omit the above.

Last edited by nitro wing; 11-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by nitro wing
if the firewall is built offset for thrust, the vertical line will not be centered on firewall, but off the left (driver side) so that prop hub will be centered with cowl opening.
Yes in normal circumstances that is true but not on this model.
The cowl is molded to compensate for the offset thrust built into the firewall,
hence the reason that the "cross hairs" for engine alignment being off. You
would have to be assembling this one and examine the cowl to see what I
am referring to.

I had also hoped to post a few more pics but a low battery in the camera
has made that impossible, will try again tomorrow......Stay tuned..........

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 11-14-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Bill Diedrich

Been trying to post photos of my progress for 2 days now something going on with
photo razor, RCU won't accept resized photos or regular ones from my card out of
the camera........so the bash and assembley is still ongoing, maybe I'll get this figured
out somehow this weekend.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM
nitro wing

send some files to my email and ill see if I can put them up for you
Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 PM
nitro wing

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6798.JPG
Views:	1103
Size:	754.4 KB
ID:	1939491  
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
nitro wing

I can put pics up but cant go back and edit and re post. maybe put pics up, no text or try not to edit anything and post it.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM
nitro wing

I like this picture

Name:	Piper_PA-22-150TD_Tri-Pacer_Kyabram_Vabre.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	1939496  
Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 AM
Bill Diedrich

OK this is where I'm at the moment, will be finishing the landing gear fairings,
finish trimming out the cowl for the muffler exit, then onto mounting the servos
and covering the top of fuselage to finishing out, then on to the wings next week.

Name:	DSC01283.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1939696   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01284.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1939697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01285.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1939698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01286.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1939699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01287.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1939700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01288.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1939701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01289.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1939702  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
nitro wing

glad you got the cam and uploader to work. good job on fixing the arf, its still a lot less work than scratch or kit for sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by nitro wing
glad you got the cam and uploader to work. good job on fixing the arf, its still a lot less work than scratch or kit for sure.
On the subject of scratch or kit built, I wished some of the ARF importers would offer the subjects that they import in complete kit form, I personally think it would be worth the effort to offer them as it may get some of the new blood in the hobby to at least attempt to build and cover a kit, myself I do a lot of scratch and kit building, I enjoy the challenge and rewards that go with it. Personally I think the Chinese will jack the ARF prices quite a bit once all of the kit manufactures are gone and modeling will come full circle again back to scratch and kit building, as I have in my 66 years of life seen the cost of this hobby skyrocket, mind you but the advancements made have been worth it in many aspects, but you still can't beat turning a stack of balsa and plywood into a flying creation, being it a kit or scratch built aircraft.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 11-17-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM
nitro wing

I agree
am 43 now, started building and flying in 1989 - built around 60-70 kits probably 40-50 arfs and doing 4 scratchbuilds from plans now. There are not many ARFs that interest me at the moment, and its fun scaling up the size you want from plans and modifying it to suit.
some ARF's exceeding 500-800$ at that point I start really considering doing my own build. I have lots of planes to fly, so am not in a rush to get something built fast.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Bill Diedrich

Hey guys, for those of you following Tri-Pacer make-over, I have had to temporarily
shelf this project as I am currently in hospital undergoing treatment for a rather severe
case of "Cellulitis" in my right leg. For those not informed about this condition, it is an
infection of the soft tissue just under the skin, very painful, and if left untreated I could
not only loose my leg but also my life if "Gangrene" were to set in. My doctor says it
is by far the worst case he has ever seen. Will more than likely be here for 2-3 weeks
getting a total of 8 hours of antibiotic's daily.

Will get back to Tri-Pacer once I get back home, so stay tuned.............

Bill D.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Stormrider51

Bill,
Best wishes to you for a quick and complete recovery. The plane will wait and so will we.

John
Old 11-23-2013, 02:08 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had that and my wife used to get it on a regular basis ..... and yes, it is not something to just 'let go'......Hope your recovery is quick!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Bill Diedrich

Hope you both have had enough treatment to obliterate the disease, I am currently under the care of an
"Infection & Disease Physician" and will be under going home infusion for he next 6 to 8 weeks of 3 different
antibiotics to rid my system of this infection, went yesterday and had a dual port "Pic Line" installed in my left
arm, looks like all of my spare time in the evenings will be "hooked up" to an IV. But docs have cleared me to
return to work on Monday............So might get maybe an hour each evening and sometime on the weekends
to get this bird finished...............Stay tuned I'll get there eventually, really looking forward to the maiden in 2014.

Bill D.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 AM
Bill Diedrich

Well guys I have been cleared by the doctor to resume my normal
activities, so I'll be getting back out to the shop and getting a little done
on the Tri-Pacer each evening, looks like "Spring" is right round the
corner want to have it ready for it's maiden soon as this up and down
temps and rainy stuff comes to an end.

On another note I would like to thank all of those that sent me "Get Well
Wishes" during my battle with this Cellulitis, it was a long process with
several daily infusions over a course of the last 13-14 weeks, but we have
won the battle and the disease is gone...........again many thanks to all who
kept checking in on me through PM's

Bill D.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 AM
Stormrider51

Good news!

John
Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread kind of slowed down just wondering if there has been some guys working on there Pacers prepping for a kit build love to see all the great ideas for this plane
Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 AM
MADISONMaster

Bill Diedrich Very nice work !
I ordered this model - it sure is cheap for this scale - bad the layout point is not to go !!

I think also change throughout the coating and make a deco Oracover + Custom stickers as you did, take the opportunity to reinforce the fuselage + TP support, change the shape of the fuselage and the wing servos built .... I makes a variety of colors of the time (1951), ......... my addiction for the last will of ivory and turquoise blue ......The wheels will be 3 1/25 inch - Problem is to make a correct landing gear for the front wheel .....night lights and landing light

MADISONMaster

Name:	PIPER TRIPACER 2 MADISON.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2093685   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIPER TRIPACER 3 MADISON.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2093686   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIPER TRIPACER 4 MADISON.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2093687   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIPER TRIPACER MADISON.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2093688  

Last edited by MADISONMaster; 05-03-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Bill Diedrich

Madison, I sure hope that you don't encounter the same problems that I had with this model.
Had to put way too much work into it to get to the stage where I felt that it would be air worthy.
For those that have been following this thread I finally gave up on the plane and put it away for
a while but have pulled everything back out again and will make an effort to finish covering it and
getting it airborne this summer. Had problems wit the elevator hinging and will have to re-do one
half as when flexing the elevator to stab hinges I cracked something inside the elevator, had to keep.
my temper in check of it would have been on the burn pile out back, but I gathered everything up
put it in a box and shelved it for a several months, will be getting back to it in a week or two. I'll post
the final pictured before the maiden and hopefully a successful maiden "still in one piece" pic or
a "bits and pieces" which ever it might be. Evidently Hobby People sold a bunch of them as they
were gone quiet quickly and the second batch also went very quick also, but have not seen anything
posted here or on RCG about this plane being "good or bad". Maybe everyone is waiting on me,
ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Madison in regards to the nose gear, if you look back you will see what I did to make it look like the
full size gear, but I don't think that a 3 1/2" wheel will fit the Robart nose gear part I used, memory
tells me that I think it was somewhere around a 2 /12" or 2 3/4" wheel was the largest that will fit
the mod I did to the nose gear, you could possibly make a custom piece to fit the 3 1/2"
wheel if that is the way you choose to go. However I would be very interested in seeing what the
Chinese manufacturer has done if anything to improve the assembly of the model, so if you would.
please keep in touch and let us all know through this thread what the Tri-Pacer is like when you.
receive it.

BTW my love for the Tri-Pacer goes way back to when I was somewhere around 13-14 years of age
and got my first airplane ride ever in a work friend of my Dad's Tri-Pacer, we even went back up and
he let me have the controls for a little bit, something that has made this little Piper gem dear and near to
my heart ever since that day. Plans are to build the Hostetler 33% one in the next couple of years, well
as soon as I finish a few other projects first.

Bill D.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 AM
[email protected]

what tri pacer kit is this one thanks allen
Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Bill Diedrich

This is the ARF that is produced by VQ and sold by Hobby People.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...uts-flaps.html

Shows they are currently out of stock...........

BTW "oneaew", I see that you are from Hemet, CA....next time you see my good friend Pat Smith say hi for me
haven't chatted with him a quiet some time.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 05-03-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 AM
MADISONMaster

Cool

Hello

I bought here (France)
http://www.flashrc.com/vq_model/1470..._vq_model.html
i think that the wheels will be 3 1/25 inch for the main landing gear and 3 inch for the nose to take off on a bad grass field

MADISONMaster

Name:	TRIPACER MADI.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2096272  

Last edited by MADISONMaster; 05-15-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.