Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldwing Sukhoi SU-26 70" 'Assembly' thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldwing Sukhoi SU-26 70" 'Assembly' thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM
dksnyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You use Silicone to seal hinge gaps?
I have never heard of this approach. It doesn't restrict the aileron motion??

I've always just ironed in a strip of covering into the hinge gap.

I suppose the silicone approach is easier.... but "messy"???
Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM
kerwin50

I have the same motor box on my Goldwing MX. It needs to be fiberglassed. And where the motor box goes into the fuse I laminated it with lite ply and fiberglass. On my 1st fuse it broke in those places.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a strip of covering absolutely works as well.
but no, it does not restrict surface movement... basically you hit the hinges themselves with grease / petroleum jelly / lubricant, then use masking tape (on the TOP side) to keep the silicone / RTV from bleeding through.
then run a bead of silicone on the bottom side (rubber gloves help keep the mess to a minimum) and run your gloved finger over the silicone... it makes a nice thin layer.
I'm sort of (a LOT ) picky about covering seams and keeping them tight... using silicone means I don't need to think about the covering seams on the hinge gaps once they're done.

Originally Posted by dksnyder
You use Silicone to seal hinge gaps?
I have never heard of this approach. It doesn't restrict the aileron motion??

I've always just ironed in a strip of covering into the hinge gap.

I suppose the silicone approach is easier.... but "messy"???
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

I got the same plane from General Hobby but I got the 60" version. I'm not sure who manufactured the model since it came in a generic box with no markings. The instructions (no markings) are for a combination of planes (Extra, SU-26, MX). Anyone have this model?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 PM
jschoen
My Feedback: (2)

I bought the 26cc Sukhoi from GH It is not 70" but 67.5". I have no plans or instructions cannot contact GH by phone or e-mail. I flew it twice and it is very tail-heavy. Do you or anyone know the proper balance point?

John
Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 AM
spacefanmick

I know this post is a year old. But I'm finalizing my Gold wing Sukhoi. It's the yellow and black version I put a DLE 30. Had to recess it a bit to get the nose of engine to not stick out to far. During construction,it seemed it was going to be nose heavy. So I mounted dual life batteries near the rudder servo. However,now that it's complete. At the 4.5" mark it is slightly tail heavy. My question is how far back from 4.5" would you guys consider to far? I'm not really 3D just mild aerobatics. Should I move batts forward to get back to 4.5" or is a more rearward balance you think acceptable.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 02:54 AM
jschoen

Mine has a DLE 20cc and is very tail heavy. I have put 8oz lead, and LIFE Batt in the nose. The whole thing is a piece of crap. It does not fly well at all.

John
Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mick, if you aren't into 3D I'd start at the suggested CG. From there, once you get past the maiden and initial testing, then you can play with that a bit to see where YOU like it. Pretty personal call really. For instance, pretty sure you would not like the plane where I prefer to fly it (fairly tail heavy).

John, this is no trainer. Builders should know how to set a plane up to get correct CG (on the wing tube) without a lot of ballast. If you have any servos in the tail, or you have not put the fuel tank on, or just ahead of the plane's CG (so you can put heavier stuff up by the firewall), you might go back and have a second look at it, maybe post some specific questions. My bet is you threw the directions away. They come on a miniature CD, taped to packing material. Pretty much worthless anyway.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 AM
jschoen

The plane I received from GH was not a Goldwing and was not 70". (67.5"). I could move the elevator and rudder servos forward and solve most of the problem. I do not think the plane is worth the effort. I had to get a different LG for a 20cc 17' prop. Good luck with a 30cc.
GH has good prices. GH has zero service
I have been flying RC since galloping ghost and bonner escapments.

John
Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM
spacefanmick

Thanks,I moved my batteries into the motor box area. And it balances just in front of wing tube,looks and feels right to me. I've been building flying since the early 70's. So pretty good with where s balance point will be a good starting point. I see a lot of people aren't really happy with the plane. I suspect it's probably due to tail heavy issues or perhaps it isn't the greatest 3D bird. I got it in s trade,and only have about $140 invested. So not to worried about it ruining my day,if it isn't that great of a flyer. But honestly,the flying I do I can't really see why it would have to many issues. I did change out some of the hardware. And had a friend 3D print a very nice cooling shroud,and front cowling cover. Came out really nice,I am running a DLE 30. Had to get shorter stand offs,which put the carb back into the firewall. So I added a second back up firewall in behind the original. And beefed up the motor box structure. A lot of extra work,but the original stand offs had it sticking out about 1 3/4". It's now a little less than 1/2",came out very nice. I also added 2" servo arms,so I can have plenty of surface travel,but I'm sure will fly dual rate most of the time. I did notice after I got mine there are two different makers,of the exact schemed plane. One you can tell from pictures alone,is made much cheaper than the Goldwing version. SO again think that might be art of the bad reviews but I love the Sukhoi,and love the color scheme on this one. So I'm hoping I'll be satisfied enough,that it at least stays in my flying fleet. And not a wall hanger. Will be maiden soon,and first fly in will be Big Bird fly in,in Missouri June 11.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:57 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just be careful of the aileron and elevator control throws, especially "up" elevator. With the CG that far forward, it may seem kind of snappy at lower speeds with a lot of control input, so keep your speed up with a light touch on the controls until you get a chance to play with it (3 mistakes high).

I would expect the plane to be an awesome sport flier once set up right. Just ease into it....
Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM
HondaJet10

Anyone thought about hanging a DLE-35RA on one of these? I have the Extra 330 w/ the 35RA from GH and it's been a plane all season...
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 PM
JLink125

Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but could someone please tell me what the inner diameter of the cowl is?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I just got the 60" Sukhoi. Is a dl20 too much or OS15 or Evolution 15?

R/C Foolish