Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Eflite Carbon Z Cub Wing Struts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Eflite Carbon Z Cub Wing Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:09 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite Carbon Z Cub Wing Struts

I was putting the finishing touches on my new 85" Carbon Z Cub and for some reason my wing struts would bind up and not allow me to push the wing all the way on. I have looked at pictures on line and everything else and everyone seems to have them in different locations on the strut mounts. I'm just curious what or where you guys have them mounted and what works for you since I know there are guys already flying these. Pictures would help greatly. Thanks in advance for the advice or suggestions. Also, this manual for a Horizon product seems to be not one of their best. Normally the manuals from Horizon leave no doubt or question as to the builds. This was sort of a pain when trying to figure out what screws are for what since every picture is small and they just refer to the screws as a letter and there are no references as to what screws are for that letter. Still like the plane though and can't wait to get it finished up.

Jason
Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 AM
bikerbc

Is it possible you could have put something together wrong like left side on the right side etc. ? I would go back over the directions and look carefully for something that I may have missed or done wrong .. It is so easy to miscommunicate with the different countries and languages we are dealing with ..It is important to have the struts right because it is possible to pull a warp into the wing if you put much force on the struts ..
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
blainer48

I don't think there is a right or left side as far as the struts go. The thicker or bigger strut goes towards the leading edge and the smaller to the back. I'll just have to keep messing with it until I get them to fit right. I have looked at the manual several times and there is really no clear instructions on placing them on the strut supports, etc...

Jason
Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blainer48
I don't think there is a right or left side as far as the struts go. The thicker or bigger strut goes towards the leading edge and the smaller to the back. I'll just have to keep messing with it until I get them to fit right. I have looked at the manual several times and there is really no clear instructions on placing them on the strut supports, etc...

Jason
I will agree that the manual is not very clear on this topic, but a quick google image search when I was assembling mine turned up the attached picture in about 30 seconds, which clearly shows the arrangement of the struts and the fasteners.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EFL10450-GAL11.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1942605  
Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM
bikerbc

I have replied a few times but nothing has shown up.. I will try again.. I leave my struts on my wings so that all I need to do is slide the wing on the tube , put the bolts in and then put the strut pins in at the bottom .. Are you leaving your struts attached to your wing? You are right.. Left and right are the same.. I did a search and found a pretty good assembly video on line.. I just Googled E Flite Carbon Cub Build
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM
blainer48

Yes, I leave them attached to the wing. But like in the photo above, that is just one of several photos of how they are attached. It seems every picture I have looked at shows everyone has their own way and place to attach the struts. My issue is and I guess maybe it is just me, but when I slide the wing on the tube and screw the 2 wing bolts in from the top, I have to apply a little pressure pushing up on the wingtip to get the struts lined up to attach to the fuse. Like I said, maybe it's just me. Do you guys have to lift up on the wingtips to get them lined up? If so, then I wouldn't feel so bad. Thanks for the info so far though guys. Appreciate it.

Jason
Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 PM
bikerbc

I don't have the Carbon Cub but I do have several other Cub all with the same type of struts.. It is common to need to push up on the wing tip to align the strut with the little holes.. All is well..
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the picture from the Eflite web site and paid no attention to other pictures.....

My Carbon Cub needs a slight wingtip lift as well for all to line up.

I can't think of a model with struts and a two peice wing that has not needed a light wingtip lift to line things up for the strut. My H9 Pawnee, H9 Twin Otter both need some lift.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM
blainer48

ok, that's good to know then. I noticed on another forum on rcgroups about this cub where guys are having issues with the tabs on the fusethat plug into the wing are breaking or showing stress cracks. Some are even going to putting thin aluminum strips across the top of the wing to sure things up. It over 270 pages on just the carbon z cub. Thanks again for the info and input guys.

Jason