Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Space Walker II by SEAGULL ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Space Walker II by SEAGULL ?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Space Walker II by SEAGULL ?

Hey Guys,

For one of my winter projects I am considering a Space Walker II by Seagull. Would probably power it with either a DLE-20 or an OS GT 22.

Just wondering if anybody out there has an experiences with this particular model ? Also what are your opinions on the quality of the manufacturer ?

Thanks for your time .............
Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Put one together earlier this summer. It's a good looking and good flying plane, and seems to like moderate speeds best. It's Kind of a floater when landing. The covering job is excellent, no wrinkles, and has stayed tight. Quality of construction seems to bee good, at least on par with some of the better ARF's I've put together. I powered mine with an OS .70 four stroke. I did use larger wheels and left the wheel pants off since I fly from a grass strip. The fuel tank tubing, some of the hardware, wheel pant attachment method and instructions are the only weak points, but if you have experience with other planes you won't have any problems. I'd get another one in a heartbeat.
bhady
Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by bhady
I Put one together earlier this summer. It's a good looking and good flying plane, and seems to like moderate speeds best. It's Kind of a floater when landing. The covering job is excellent, no wrinkles, and has stayed tight. Quality of construction seems to bee good, at least on par with some of the better ARF's I've put together. I powered mine with an OS .70 four stroke. I did use larger wheels and left the wheel pants off since I fly from a grass strip. The fuel tank tubing, some of the hardware, wheel pant attachment method and instructions are the only weak points, but if you have experience with other planes you won't have any problems. I'd get another one in a heartbeat.
bhady
Hi bhady,

Thank you for your input. Yours is the kind of reply that I was hoping for, as I feel that this would make a good gas flyiing model for myself. I also have given up on wheel pants even though our flying field has a combination grass and gravel runways. Also, do not know if it would fit in a Space Walker, but I have a couple of new Roto Flow fuel tanks that I would really like to try in a new model.

Again, thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built two of them and I have another new one in the box..I dumb thumbed my first one .They are a great looking great flying plane.. I am powering mine with a DLE20 .. It is the perfect amount of power but they are a little on the loud side.. You can quiet them down . The instructions are a bit hard to figure out but if you have any experience at all you will be okay . I think that they are a great plane for the price ..most of the hardware is usable..The wheel pants are quite flimsy but you can beef them up and use them or leave them off and fly without ..They float a bit on landing so they use a bit of runway but they are very easy to land . Also very easy to take off for a tail dragger .An all around great Sunday flyer..They are fairly quick and easy to set up at the field . Easy to transport . I don't think that the plane is available any more so if you can get any parts it might be a good idea . I have a spare cowl for mine and a lightly damaged set of wings . Plus the spare kit . Where did you fine yours ? Horizion has been out of stock for some time .
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I have built two of them and I have another new one in the box..I dumb thumbed my first one .They are a great looking great flying plane.. I am powering mine with a DLE20 .. It is the perfect amount of power but they are a little on the loud side.. You can quiet them down . The instructions are a bit hard to figure out but if you have any experience at all you will be okay . I think that they are a great plane for the price ..most of the hardware is usable..The wheel pants are quite flimsy but you can beef them up and use them or leave them off and fly without ..They float a bit on landing so they use a bit of runway but they are very easy to land . Also very easy to take off for a tail dragger .An all around great Sunday flyer..They are fairly quick and easy to set up at the field . Easy to transport . I don't think that the plane is available any more so if you can get any parts it might be a good idea . I have a spare cowl for mine and a lightly damaged set of wings . Plus the spare kit . Where did you fine yours ? Horizion has been out of stock for some time .
Hi bikerbc,

From your message, it sounds like I should hurry up and buy mine. I have found them on " Chief Aircrafts " site and they state that they have them in stock. Not sure about parts being available, but it does look like the plane is.

I'm not concerned about building instructions as I am 70 years old and have been in the model airplane hobby since I was 8 years old. But one thing that I have given up on are the wheel pants. Have never been able to keep a set on one of my models yet and I don't care how many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you have into a model, sooner or later they will crack / break / fill with crud, etc, etc, etc. So I am now just all together leaving them off of my models.

I have considered powering it with a DLE 20 that I have on the shelf. But that DLE is also sitting right next to a new OS GT 22. Thus, it may be a hard decision on what power plant to use.

Thank you for your input and you have convinced me to make the purchase.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Granpooba

Did the dirty deed today and ordered my Spacewalker. Will most likely power is with my new OS GT 22. Hopefully it will make a good combo.

Will probably put my DLE-20 into a new Revolver 70, that I have sitting in a box on my shelf.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 AM
bikerbc

I think you have made the right choice of engines and it looks easier to install than the DLE 20 . although the second time around I did a much nicer job . You are going to love this plane , with that motor it going to be quite sporty and aerobatic . You are going to have tons of power . I like how easy it is to see in the sky.. My eyes are getting tired with the years .
Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I think you have made the right choice of engines and it looks easier to install than the DLE 20 . although the second time around I did a much nicer job . You are going to love this plane , with that motor it going to be quite sporty and aerobatic . You are going to have tons of power . I like how easy it is to see in the sky.. My eyes are getting tired with the years .
Well, I made the right choice alright. Only problem is that the model is no longer in stock. Be nice if these online sites would update once in awhile.

Can not find another one anywhere. Thus, I guess I will begin searching for another model for my OS GT 22.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM
bikerbc

Oh I am sorry to hear that , I knew Horizion was out and say this item is no longer available but when I looked at Chief Aircraft I thought they must have some old stock.. I guess I am very lucky to have a spare one new in the box..I kinda wish you were close to me and I would let you have it but shipping would be a killer . You must be quite dissapointed .
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM
bikerbc

You know another really nice flying airplane is Hanger 9's PA18 It is a little more expensive but it is very nice and easy to fly , if you want something a bit more sporty the Taylor Craft is a super plane . It is easy to fly easy to see but up there is price too .
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 PM
drube

I learned to fly with a Seagull Spacewalker ll with a OS 46AX. Plenty of power! A DLE 20 is overkill! Great flying plane!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
bikerbc

You are talking about a lot smaller SpaceWalker , These SpaceWalkers are 120 Size . A 46 would never get one of these ones off the ground .. Seagull made two sizes .. a 40 size and a 120 size . Both great flyers ..
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 AM
drube

lol yes, I was thinking the 40 size.. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

granpooba,

Try mounting your wheelpants with nylon bolts of the same size as the kit supplies. They will shear if stressed and your wheelpants will last a lot longer. As far as keeping them clean, all of mine vacuum up grass clippings and hold them until they can unload in my minivan. Haven't figured out a cure for that, yet.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheel pants are very thin and require adding f/g cloth inside.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 AM
golfandfly
My Feedback: (99)

I have a G26 in mine and it fly's great,lands like a trainer. I am going to sell it if anyone is interested?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 AM
bikerbc

A G26 is quite a load for the front of that plane .. How much lead did you have to add to the tail ? My DLE 20 has as much if not more power but much less weight and it balances with the battery pacs..
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with BikerbBC. I removed the G-26 from mine and went with an Evolution 20GX and lost 23oz of weight... 4.5 oz of tail weight were removed. Landings are better with the lighter loading while vertical performance is about the same. No doubt the G-26 is more powerful, but is only an advantage if the nose of the aircraft needs the extra weight and the Seagull Spacewalker doesn't.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Granpooba

Well, needless to say, I've gotten tired of trying to locate a Spacewalker II. Thus, the altenative. LOL

Just ordered a Hanger 9 Christen Eagle and will be powering it with my new OS GT 22.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horizon Hobbies shows the spacewalker 40 ARAF in stock now. No price increase.
bhady
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by bhady
Horizon Hobbies shows the spacewalker 40 ARAF in stock now. No price increase.
bhady
Yes, but that is the smaller sized one.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Granpooba

After searching all over the world I found them in Ireland, England, Australia and South Africa, only to find out that none of the stores will ship internationally. Finally found one at a store in USA of which I purchased it today. So back to my original plan of putting my OS GT 22 into the Space Walker.

But now I also have the Christen Eagle which I will most likely power with my DLE-20. These are all winter project, thus I better get started before winter is over with.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM
dykykdtyjian

Old 11-23-2013, 06:58 AM
xtnjsjnjian
Banned

Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Granpooba
After searching all over the world I found them in Ireland, England, Australia and South Africa, only to find out that none of the stores will ship internationally. Finally found one at a store in USA of which I purchased it today. So back to my original plan of putting my OS GT 22 into the Space Walker.

But now I also have the Christen Eagle which I will most likely power with my DLE-20. These are all winter project, thus I better get started before winter is over with.
Total change of plans.

New Great Planes Revolver 70 will be getting the DLE-20 with Pitts Style muffler.

Seagull Space Walker II 1.20 will be getting the OS GT 22.

And once I purchase it new, the Hanger 9 Christen Eagle will be getting a Saito 125 four stroke.

I am sure that this will keep me busy, for most of the winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.