Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dubro Cushioned Motor Mounts?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dubro Cushioned Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dubro Cushioned Motor Mounts?

I am getting ready to assemble a Pulse 125 and am swapping out the motor mount. I have seen pictures on RCU where the standard mount fractured. I have a Hangar 9 metal one that I can use, but am also thinking that reducing airframe vibration by using the Dubro cushioned mounts. I am using a DLE 20 and am wondering if I am being overly concerned. The Dubro mount is over $46 and don't know if I will get that much return from the investment. Any thoughts out there or has anyone used them?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:58 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ive used them on my 120 4strokes.. they are nice... that said the dle20 is pretty smooth.. ive run mine on normal plastic mounts without issues
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm flying mine w/ DLE 20 and those mounts....so far so good - and that's about a full summer of flying!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Buddy,
I've flown a RCG 20cc gas engine on a Big Stick .60~.90 size, with the DuBro Anti-Vibration mount. I would not recommend using the DuBro anti-vibration mounts on any gas engine. Gas engines vibrate a whole lot more then 2 or 4 stroke nitro engines. I've been advised by several experienced gas flyers here on RCU not to fly with anti-vibration mount, on two stroke gas engines. I went anyway and mounted my 20cc gas engine on a 1.20 size DuBro Vibration mount...and the mount ended up cracking one support lug after 50+ flights. DuBro did replace the broken mount for me...but after this I use the engine mounts that came with the engine.

The vibration was so bad with the DuBro anti-vibration mount, I had to support my Stabilizer to my Rudder. The tail section fuselage balsa near the tail feathers ended up cracking and I ended up doing a lot of repair work to the model. I managed to get over 160+ flights on the model, until I was 10' to low on a loop...the mounts cracked and broke free in the crash.

I would not recommend using any anti-vibration mounts on a gas two stroke engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
hookedonrc

Well I have a pair of metal mounts already that are not anti-vibration from Hangar 9. I must admit though, I haven't heard the "do not use" anti-vibration mounts. In fact, I read an article in the December 2013 MAN about why you need them. Maybe not Dubro exactly, but you need to keep the vibration from the airframe as much as possible. I haven't started putting the 125 together yet, so I have time to do more research.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooked:

In the instructions that come with the DLE20 it advised to use a Dubro DUBG1307 anti-vibration mount. They also include a mounting template for the Dubro. Sounds to me like the mfg says it's fine - doesn't it??

Have you checked out the new runway overlay yet????

Dan
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks Dan sounds like I am going the right way. I also went back and reread the article in MAN and the writer makes a good case for using them. He even refers to DLE 20 sized mounts while the article is focused on giant scale. On the new overlay?....no, I haven't been out to the field yet. I was out there flying about a week before the new pavement was put down. I was flying my Escapade and lost it while inverted...almost recovered it though. The plane was a loss, but all electronics and engine were fine. I finished my new Escapade this week and am ready to go again. If we don't get too much rain this weekend I might go out Sunday.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 AM
hookedonrc

Default Our Club and I lost a Great Friend this week.

I am going to hijack my own thread to honor a very good friend and a great guy. Dant-RCU, who posted here has been a very good friend and a member of our flying club. He was always ready to help others, cook at ours and any other club's event. His great sense of humor will be sorely missed by our club members. We lost him this past week and I just want him to know we really appreciated his friendship. My guess is that he will still be reading RCU from wherever he is. Thanks DAN
Old 08-11-2018, 02:49 PM
smr2ley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong

[QUOTE=I would not recommend using any anti-vibration mounts on a gas two stroke engine.[/QUOTE]

I have a Great Planes Big Stick, and my engine is the O.S. GGT-15 which is a gas engine only it doesn't use an ignition system - it comes with their special G5 glowplug.
My airplane was vibrating and resonating like mad on the plastic mounts, and no my prop was not unbalanced.
The difference with the Dubro Quiet Mount is amazing. The sound is really softer.
And I have 3 other gas engines, an RCGF .15, an Evolution .10 and an AGM-30, all been modified with adapter in the head to take the same OS G5 glowplug (Evolution didn't need the adapter as used a smaller sparkplug in first place), and so dispensing with the ignition systems that came with the engines originally. ALL of these engines run fine at same rpm as expected with their respective ignition systems, and all sound altogether quieter and smoother on their Dubro Quiet mounts.