Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toni Clark has them. http://www.toni-clark.com/
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of the first RCGuys Sheber Pitts ARFs. $399 back then. It took 1/8 shims on the TE of the top wing struts, and I had to file the dowel holes lower to make the wing come up into the wing saddle properly to get the proper incidence. After that I removed all the down trim it took to stop the climb on throttle. Flew great with a TMM 53cc engine. Still needed 8oz. of lead to balance. The covering came apart after a few years. My biggest complaint is the paint on the cowl. It chipped off every time I handled the cowl. Big flakes. As soon as it flexed you could hear the paint cracking. I think the paint is too hard and parts of the cowl had residual release agent on it before painting. I even sent the first cowl back because of the chipping, and the second one was just as bad. (BTW It went together with Gorilla Glue on all joints and hinges.) Maybe these newer ones are better. Really fun to fly. Besides at 50ft. and 50mph I couldn't see all the chipped paint and bad covering. Put it together and use it up.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 PM
WI53072

I got my Charlie Hilliard Red Devil 1 vinyl transfers from Cajun RC yesterday. The look great! Once I get them on, i will take some pics once I get on.

Any one ever put these type of transfers on before? Let me know if you have any tricks to get these on right.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 04-06-2014, 02:33 PM
WI53072

Hi guys,

Here is a picture of my Pitts with the Red Devils 1 detail added. Enjoy. Now onto the removable flying wires between the wings.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1504
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1984673  
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Dam has it been that long? NEW YEARS RESOLUTION, finish the pitts and fly it!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:39 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Hi Ron,
Yeah, I know just what you mean. Unfortunately, the past year has been devoted primarily to getting the house ready to sell, moving to Washington state (Tacoma area), and getting myself situated here. We first moved into this rental house, which is barely big enough to move around in, and we're shopping for houses. Looks like we may have found one that would be perfect, but it's never a sure thing until the papers are signed and the money changes hands.

I'm also going to have think about changing my name in here, since I'm far from Texas now. I guess that can wait until I finish my thread.

They have an awesome field here south of town, so I'm really looking forward to flying here. Interestingly enough, I realized that the twin 40CC gas engine on my Pitts comes from Valley View RC, and they're just a few miles away from me. I'll have to pay them a visit!

I also took a job to offset some of the (considerable) expense of moving up here and getting set up again. I'm still selling books, but this has been one major expense after the other. Anyway, my play time is reduced again. All this work sure does get in the way of my having fun!

~ Jim ~
Old 01-02-2015, 11:43 AM
RonMcCormick

Good luck with getting settled in, It's amazing how this boat we call life has such tiny rudders. I got about 90% complete and was burned out on the project so I walked away from it for a rest. I flew my 35% Extra most of the summer along with other stuff.
It will be interesting to see how the CG comes out on our planes being on opposite ends of the engine scale, (DLE 55 VS VV 40cc twin) I'm using a custom soft mount and custom header muffler setup.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:17 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

It's been long enough that I can't remember the weight of the two engines, to know how far apart they are weight-wise now. I remember that I was figuring that the slight increase in friction due to the VV's second cylinder would leave me with the approximate power of a 35CC, but that's just a personal assessment from past experiences, and ultimately just a guess. The good news is that the boxes with the planes are beginning to beckon to me (see, this way I can pretend the little voices aren't really in my head), so I think I'll be ready to dig in again when I have the capability and room. My GSS (Giant Super Sportster) is really all ready for flight, but without looking, I'm inclined to think that the batteries are by now over two years old, so if I'm prudent, they'll probably need replacing first. Otherwise, all systems are go for that bird. Last year she was rebuilt and test-flown after being bisected by a power line, so she's back in good flying shape.

We chose a beautiful house, but one that will require months of work before we move in, so exactly when I can get time to start playing with planes is in question. The area that will ultimately be my plane room will probably first act as the staging area for all the reconstruction the house requires. Fair is fair. It'll be worth the effort and the expense, but situations like this do tend to take the time we hope to have with our planes and push it to the back burner.

Whatever happens, I want to do the Pitts up right. I'm really glad that Valley View is just down the road here, because I may just ask them for advice on this 40CC twin engine. You never know what sort of tips they can provide that might be of help.

~ Jim ~
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM
RonMcCormick

You underestimate the 40cc twin! It's stronger than any 35cc for sure. If I didn't own a DLE 35RA I would buy the 40cc twin. If you keep the weight down yours will fly great.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Like I said, it's just a guess so far. It may lose very little to friction, which would be great. The biggest challenge I have right now is getting to where I can take it out of the shipping crate and get back on the project.
~ Jim ~
Old 06-12-2015, 10:42 AM
acerc

Man, that must be one big ass crate Jim!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:07 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

It was, Robert! Two, actually. It's now uncrated and hung from my new garage ceiling. I'm presently building shelves to organize the garage, and once that's done, I'll have enough work area to play with my planes. All I'll need is some free time to play!
One interesting side note is that I live one town over from Valley View RC, so any questions that may arise about the 40CC Twin can be easily answered.
I'll be glad when things get back to normal, so I can spend some quality time with my RC stuff.

~ Jim ~
Old 06-14-2015, 09:16 AM
acerc

Cool!!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
E G G

Default It's done

I've only got to fly it one time. I wasn't happy with the engine so it was a short flight. Take off and landing was smooth as silk. I did notice after my flight that I had added a lot of right rudder trim and some left aileron, I can't wait to fly it with a happy engine. Here are a few pictures
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by E G G; 08-09-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 AM
RonMcCormick

EGG, what engine setup did you use?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
E G G

Ron, this Pitts has the vvrc 40 on it. Hope to get to fly it again Saturday.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by E G G; 08-10-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM
RonMcCormick

Are you sure that engine is a VVRC 40cc Twin? what was wrong with how it ran?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ECG,

You might want to add right-shims to increase the engine a little to the right, and reduce the down-shims, if you have any. That should minimize those trim adjustments.

I have the same engine in mine (the Valley View RC 40CC Twin). I ran it, but I haven't had it in the air yet. What was the issue when you flew yours the first time?

Mine is also the yellow and black scheme. Can't wait to fly it.

Jim
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
E G G

Hey Ron, yes it is a VVRC 40. It really labored through mid range and had no throttle response. Somehow the timing got off, I adjusted it and it runs great now.

Jim, I think your right about the right thrust but I want to fly it a couple of times before I adjust on it. That takes my new airplane nerves out of the equation .
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 PM
RonMcCormick

EGG in the photo your engine appears to have straight plugs, all the VV RC 40cc twins I have seen have angled plugs?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 PM
E G G

The first ones had straight plugs Ron

Last edited by E G G; 08-14-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:53 PM
E G G

Got two nice flights on the Pitts yesterday and for the most part I'm happy with it. I think I need to move the cg forward some because inverted it wants to climb quite a bit .The only thing it does that I don't understand is if I roll right into a knife edge it tracks straight and if I roll left into a knife edge it tucks towards the landing gear bad. It ended up with quit a bit of right rudder and down elevator trim......

Oh, the VVRC 40 fly's it nicely and the airplane handles great on the ground.

Last edited by E G G; 08-20-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM
E G G

Made some changes to the pitts tonight. Added some right thrust and took some down thrust out. I'm still one the fence about the CG, I hate to change it sense it lands so good. Batteries are charging now, I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:21 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

If it's climbing inverted even after you took out that down-thrust (and I'll venture a guess that it is), then the elevator in upright "neutral" flight is trying to push the nose down, meaning the tail is heavy. Probably just slightly. Once inverted, the extra weight not only drops the tail, but the elevator trim pushes it down (when inverted, down is up, and up is expensive!) and exaggerates it. Move the CG forward. If you wish to test this theory first, trim your elevator so it climbs some in normal flight, and then invert it. You'll find it doesn't want to climb inverted, or at least, it doesn't want to climb as much as it did. If reducing the down-thrust leaves it flying level inverted, then don't change the CG!
Knife edge weirdness - remember, you have a big engine, a big prop, and a short-winged plane that, when on its knife edge, no longer has the wings holding the plane up, so the prop that's cranking away and torquing it right along through that knife-edge can go right ahead and turn the plane without those pesky wings interfering. The prop is swinging to the right, and torquing to the left. Wings that are creating lift and holding a plane up are at the same time neutralizing the prop torque. Wings aren't really being used during knife-edge. Hope this helps.
The one thing to remember is that the Pitts is designed to be a powerhouse flyer, and the VV40CC gives it what it likes, but it's a high-performance bipe, and even on a full-scale with a big engine, the prop will do its best to turn the plane, if given the chance to slip off its leash for a few seconds. The pilot knows that's the price you pay for the joy-joy flying.

Jim

P.S. You folks may have heard I've decided to retire from the hobby. My Pitts (identical to yours, EGG) is up for sale, same setup - Valley View 40CC.
The following users liked this post:
pacoflyer (01-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:06 PM
E G G

The pitts is much better, I few it quite a bit yesterday. I think a small cg adjustment and some fine tuning to the elevators and I'll be all done. Your right Jim, I have to remind myself that it's a Pitts and not a Extra. I hate to hear you are giving up the hobby,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.