Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NEW Hanger-9 30cc Beaver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NEW Hanger-9 30cc Beaver

Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Jeepindog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
LOL

I'm after a DX-18 Stealth
Well, shoot- a DX9 is only half as cool as an -18!!! I'm putting instrument panel LEDs in this new Beaver. I need more channels on my transmitter to have the option of servo-controlled cabin doors and beverage service.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:07 PM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (243)

Guys, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and get a Hanger 9 Beaver. I want to put a 1.80 Saito four stroke in it. Can anyone tell me if it will be a problem installing this engine the way it's configured? Hanger 9 doesn't address a glow engine installation. Many thanks, Patrick
Old 11-08-2015, 07:27 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by P. Winters
Guys, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and get a Hanger 9 Beaver. I want to put a 1.80 Saito four stroke in it. Can anyone tell me if it will be a problem installing this engine the way it's configured? Hanger 9 doesn't address a glow engine installation. Many thanks, Patrick
problem will be with muffler installation. get pitts type......cut out opening in fuse. put muffler through hole and then
install motor
Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't understand the last reply on this forum,, if you put a Saito 180 you have a problem with the exhaust? Really? I would rather put the Valleyview 40 twin in it like I did mine, but the Saito 180 will fly this airplane beautiful. I have a 180 in another plane and I just replaced it with another Valleyview 40 in another airplane the only reason I did that was because of fuel cost.. But the 180 will fly this Beaver beautiful!! I would mount it so as the exhaust goes out directly at the bottom..

Last edited by cublover; 11-08-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:22 AM
P. Winters

Thanks to you both!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM
allenpad

I've put a Saito 180 in mine, and yes, it will fly the plane beautifully. Couple of problems, though. I mounted the engine inverted and found that the stock tank is way higher than the carb. This causes flooding and hard starting. So, I mounted a 16 oz tank behind the front seat, which puts it about level with the carb, where it should be. That required a very long fuel line run, so I mounted a 1 oz header tank up next to the firewall, and that solved that problem.

But, I used a 90 degree adapter between the head and the exhaust pipe to point the muffler down, and found that the aluminum adapter won't hold the steel exhaust pipe tight when everything gets hot. I think that adapter expands more than the steel pipe, allowing it to loosen. I'm still struggling with that one. If you do this, please let me know how yours works out.

Oh, the Saito is pretty light, and you will need to use over a pound of lead in the nose to balance it.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:41 PM
P. Winters

Originally Posted by allenpad
I've put a Saito 180 in mine, and yes, it will fly the plane beautifully. Couple of problems, though. I mounted the engine inverted and found that the stock tank is way higher than the carb. This causes flooding and hard starting. So, I mounted a 16 oz tank behind the front seat, which puts it about level with the carb, where it should be. That required a very long fuel line run, so I mounted a 1 oz header tank up next to the firewall, and that solved that problem.

But, I used a 90 degree adapter between the head and the exhaust pipe to point the muffler down, and found that the aluminum adapter won't hold the steel exhaust pipe tight when everything gets hot. I think that adapter expands more than the steel pipe, allowing it to loosen. I'm still struggling with that one. If you do this, please let me know how yours works out.

Oh, the Saito is pretty light, and you will need to use over a pound of lead in the nose to balance it.
Rick, Thanks so much for this input. I, too, have had a few issues using a 90 Degree adapter. I've tried Teflon tape, but I need to try some Locktite I guess. The fuel tank issue is of a bigger concern to me. What did you mean by a "header tank?" Can you tell me how you configured it?

Many thanks!

Patrick
Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
allenpad

The reason I did this is that it's about 14 inches from the main tank to the carb, so if all that line starts out empty, it takes a lot of cranking to fill it. You wouldn't want to plug the muffler and crank the engine over to prime it, because a little too much and you've flooded it again, so the header tank is very close to the carb, with only a short line between the tank and the carb. If you use an electric starter, it will start pretty quickly without flooding (remember that carb is upside down, and excess fuel won't just run out). The main idea here is to have both tanks pretty level with the needle valve. If the tank(s) are higher, as in the case of the stock tank location, fuel will siphon downhill and that's trouble.
Mount header with clunk pickup outlet level with carb intake.

Plumb from clunk pickup on the main tank (that used to go to carb) > to the input of the header (on top).
Plumb from the clunk pickup in the header > to the carb. Put at T in this line for fueling, and a clamp between the T and the carb.
That's it. Leave the pressure for the main hooked up however it was.
Now, when you fill the tanks, you'll be filling the header tank first, then the line to the main tank, then the main tank. You have fuel readily available to start the engine.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 AM
P. Winters

Thanks Rick! This is great information. I really prefer a large four stroke engine over gas. I know it's not as economical, but I like the four stroke sound much better. Also, I need to store my airplanes in the basement, and I don't want the gasoline smell in the house.

Thanks again!!!

Patrick
Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM
d4000

Hey everyone, I'm "NEW" to RC Universe & also new to the Hanger 9 Beaver. I have one on order & also waiting for the VVRC 40cc twin to arrive. I've been reading this entire thread to learn all I can & I have a question. has anyone ever installed "wheels" on their floats? If not does anyone know where I can possibly go to find them to install on mine? I know its going to be a lot of work to do this but I'm gonna try. LOVE all the Beavers you guys have produced. Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2016, 11:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

That would be awesome. Though we often have sea planes around these parts floating on their nose when pilots forget to retract the wheels before water landings.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM
d4000

Got in touch with Robart today & "walla". They have exactly what I want.

Just waiting for the floats to arrive.

Last edited by d4000; 01-25-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In spite of bringing up an older thread.....has anyone found a replacement part for the struts - the part in question is the weak link between the strut (top) and where it attaches to the wing? I broke one and if Murphy is around, the other one is about to break the next time I put on the wing

Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strit

Funny you should say that… I just broke mine as well… I took a piece of flat stock steel, put it in a vice and some heat to it and put a twist on it put a twist in it and bolted it back up… You can buy a new set of scrubs but I couldn't see spending around $50 when I could just fix it
Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any chance of a pic? I too don't like the idea of spending MORE money on this bird!