Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a .60 - .90 ARF to be fitted to 2 stroke gas

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Suggestions for a .60 - .90 ARF to be fitted to 2 stroke gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a .60 - .90 ARF to be fitted to 2 stroke gas

Hey all - making a grand return to RC and I see that inexpensive and small 2 stroke gas engines have finally come around. Looking for your suggestions on a good .60 - .90 maybe 1.25 sport plane. The ones I've considered so far are the Pulse series from Hangar 9 and maybe Great Plane's revolver.

I'm looking to fit either the EVO 10GX or OS's 2 stroke gas options.

Feedback on the engines would be great as well but I know this isn't the right forum.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 AM
ameyam

I can't tell you much about the Evo but the OS engines are quite heavy for their size. You must remember that a gas engine at half throttle offers lower rpm than glow. They are also heavier meaning the same power is not there. My observation- for a 60-90 size airplane glow is as yet still better. Once you get into 120 size, you can consider dle20. The OS 22 is almost asheavy as the dle30.

Regarding airplanes, if you want sports flying only, any of the Gp models are good

Ameyam
Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a DLE 20 in a Pulse 125 - it was a good match but a little light on power. An RCGF is going into the Pulse and the DLE 20 is going into a Hobbistar 60 trainer. Both projects are underway and are well documented in threads here on RCU.

Pulse 125 - Swapping out the DLE 20 for an RCGF 32
Stuffing a DLE 20 into a Hobbistar 60

With engines as small as 9cc there's absolutely no reason not to go for gas in a .60 plane. Yes, 20cc is a little much but I like a challenge. And I'm sick of glow.

Last edited by grosbeak; 12-18-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
kwblake

I have a .40 size Pulse, and love it. It's my everyday flyer.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have one really good choice in my PERSONAL opinion and that is the Great Planes Revolver 70.
I personally have 4 Revolvers. #1 is powered by a Saito .91 and is a fantastic flyer. # 2 is the smaller Revolver, which is also a fantastic flyer being powered by an OS .55 AX.
# 3, I hate to say was powered by a DLE-20, but Mother Earth ate that one. # 4 is still in the box and is a replacement for #3 and I will once again power it with a DLE-20.

I also have a Hanger 9 Pulse and while it is a good flyer, in no way does it compare to a Revolver.

You can not go wrong with the Great Planes line of Revolvers.

If you really wanted to jump into the Revolver line up, you could always go with a Revolver 50 CC.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
hitcttd

Originally Posted by Granpooba
You have one really good choice in my PERSONAL opinion and that is the Great Planes Revolver 70.
I personally have 4 Revolvers. #1 is powered by a Saito .91 and is a fantastic flyer. # 2 is the smaller Revolver, which is also a fantastic flyer being powered by an OS .55 AX.
# 3, I hate to say was powered by a DLE-20, but Mother Earth ate that one. # 4 is still in the box and is a replacement for #3 and I will once again power it with a DLE-20.

I also have a Hanger 9 Pulse and while it is a good flyer, in no way does it compare to a Revolver.

You can not go wrong with the Great Planes line of Revolvers.

If you really wanted to jump into the Revolver line up, you could always go with a Revolver 50 CC.
Hey, thanks for the response.

I've flown the Pulse .40 in the past and it was great. You're getting me real excited saying that the revolver is much better. Is the .55AX enough power? I'm really looking at fitting the EVO .60 GASSER due to glow fuel prices here in Hawaii.

I'm assuming you put the DLE20 in the bigger revolver? How are the DLE20s in general? Pretty good and reliable?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 PM
hitcttd

Originally Posted by kwblake
I have a .40 size Pulse, and love it. It's my everyday flyer.
Do you have a gasser or nitro in the pulse?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by hitcttd
Hey, thanks for the response.

I've flown the Pulse .40 in the past and it was great. You're getting me real excited saying that the revolver is much better. Is the .55AX enough power? I'm really looking at fitting the EVO .60 GASSER due to glow fuel prices here in Hawaii.

I'm assuming you put the DLE20 in the bigger revolver? How are the DLE20s in general? Pretty good and reliable?
I had the DLE-20 in the Revolver 70. I will be putting the same DLE-20 into the new Revolver 70 that is still in the box, waiting for assembly.

The OS .55AX has plenty of power for the smaller Revolver. Flew this model most of this past summer and everybody commented on what a nice flying plane and its performance.

Three projects for this winter are a presently being assembled Hanger 9 Christen Eagle, which will be powered by a Saito .91 Four Stroke.
Second is a Seagull Spacewalker II 1.20 , which I will power it with a new OS GT 22.
And finally, will be the Revolver 70 that I spoke of, which will get my DLE-20.

But if I were you, I would definitely go with a Revolver 70 and perhaps power it with a 4 stroke. But as I also said, the smaller Revolver is a great flyer with the OS .55AX.

I guess these days it all comes down to how much do you want to spend on the hobby.

I could say good luck with your choice, but if you pick a Revolver with a good power plant, you won't need the luck. Just somebody to wipe the smile off of your face at the flying field.

If you check the RCU Forums, you will find quite a few threads in regards to the Revolvers. Read them, then judge for yourself.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM
kwblake

Nitro. .46 FX out of my (late) Nexstar.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

First, welcome back!
I'm just wondering where you are at as far as your ability? Have you had time to shake off the cob webs, or is that what you hope to accomplish with this new plane? Also, I'm lost regarding what size plane you're looking for? Will this be a 10cc Evo powered plane, or are you looking at the 20cc class engines/planes? -Al
Old 12-19-2013, 04:47 PM
hitcttd

Originally Posted by ahicks
First, welcome back!
I'm just wondering where you are at as far as your ability? Have you had time to shake off the cob webs, or is that what you hope to accomplish with this new plane? Also, I'm lost regarding what size plane you're looking for? Will this be a 10cc Evo powered plane, or are you looking at the 20cc class engines/planes? -Al

When I left the hobby 5 years ago I could hang a Funtana on its prop till the fuel ran out. Also did combat flying so IN MY PRIME I was pretty good. Now? No idea. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish with these sport type ARFs.

I was considering the 10CC Gas option from EVO because glow prices are ridiculous here. 15% cool power is 30 bucks! I looks like people are saying step up one size to a DLE20. The issue I have with that is my car doesn't have folding back seats so whatever plane I get, the airframe will have to fit in the front seat - albeit reclined. I don't have an issue with spending a couple of extra bucks for a bigger plane and engine if it would fit.

I also have a practically new SAITO 150 that I could use but again, glow prices would kill me. I guess I could do a gas conversion on it, but that's a different thread.

One thing about the DLE20 I like is that I could later on move it to the Aero Works 90 YAK - beautiful plane.

Decisions decisions
Old 12-19-2013, 06:47 PM
ahicks

The AW 90/120 is a tank, heavier than a Funtanna? Pretty, but way over rated. You'd have more fun with another Funtana easily. If you're into that low and slow stuff, why not go with a DLE 20 in one of those? Kept a little nose heavy, that's a pretty civilized plane? Then move the CG back a little for more entertainment later? Way more fun to fly on 20cc vs. 30cc.

The Revolver is on the hot side? You can tame it, but you'd have to be awful careful with it doing that on the first few flights. If you could build a couple hours of stick time on something like a Pulse, or maybe a Stick first, you could step right into the Revolver. That's an easy to handle compact plane that does it all fairly well in the hands of a capable flyer?

What about a 10cc EVO in something like this:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...k-540-arf.html

Haven't flown anything like it yet, but it looks about right on paper? Have something similar on my bench now. Not sure what to expect out of it, but the price is right? Another compact airframe with plug in wings.... Mine is set up with a side mounted engine and a Macs 6720 pipe

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXXYM3&P=8

and inexpensive metal gear servos (less than 10.00) from Hobbyking. Almost ready to go...

Best of luck!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Indiomike

To my knowledge, the Hangar 9 Pulse 125 is out of production and has been so for quite a while. You would be very lucky to find one NIB anywhere.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Granpooba

I was just looking at and reading about the new OS GT 15 " GAS " engine. Also thinking that this new engine in a Revolver 70 could be another PERFECT combo. But then again, what would I put my DLE-20 in Awwwwwwwwwwwwww heck, could be a 5th Revolver.

Look at them both and you may agree with me.

P.S. The one thing that I want to mention about the Revolver 70 is the landing gear attachment area. I would reinforce this area. I have had mine come loose and have read where others have stated the same. Just some extra triangle stock, etc. and epoxy does the job perfectly.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 PM
ahicks

You can read all about the LG mod in the Revolver forum. Takes a little more than triangle stock. One guy just crashed his, pretty much destroying it. But the landing gear mod held. Pics available on the last page of the forum...

Regarding the Revolver/O.S. 15 combo, if you're going to buy a new engine, have you checked out the rear exhaust version of the DLE 20? Without having it's cowl all hacked up to fit around the side exhaust engine's muffler, I'll bet the plane would look really nice?

Regarding Pulse availability, there are a few similar planes available from China?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by ahicks
You can read all about the LG mod in the Revolver forum. Takes a little more than triangle stock. One guy just crashed his, pretty much destroying it. But the landing gear mod held. Pics available on the last page of the forum...

Regarding the Revolver/O.S. 15 combo, if you're going to buy a new engine, have you checked out the rear exhaust version of the DLE 20? Without having it's cowl all hacked up to fit around the side exhaust engine's muffler, I'll bet the plane would look really nice?

Regarding Pulse availability, there are a few similar planes available from China?
Well the funny thing is that some triangle stock and some square stock on the INSIDE of the Revolver 70 fuselage, has fixed the weakness in my Revolvers. Not a problem one now. I am quite sure that everybody has their own way of fixing things !