ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Rascal 110

Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Rascal 110

I Just Received my Christmas Present .. A Sig Rascal 110 What a Beautiful ARF.. The Covering is quite loose and will require a fair amount of attention .. I haven't seen anything on RCU about the assembly of this plane .. I wonder if anyone else is assembling one or is anyone interested ? I am considering using an ASP 160 twin engine and Hi tec 545 servos .. Any tips or comments will be appreciated .
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bikerbc, I believe you are a Cub lover. If I have that right....you have just met your "new love"! The Rascal 110 is one beautiful airplane to look at and even more beautiful to fly for anyone who appreciates classic high wing type planes. While it is of course not a scale model of full scale airplane it has that "golden age" look and the gracefulness in flight. I think you will love it. My 110 is a first edition and as such has no flaps. It floats forever on landing and will eat up a lot of runway as you try to get slowed enough of stop flying and touch down. The flaps (if yours has them) will help as the plane is pretty clean with out a lot of natural drag. I also have a 72" Rascal 40 that is a lot of fun to toss around in the air and I am sure the 110 will also "cut up" pretty good but, out of respect for the size of the plane I fly my 110 in a scale fashion so as to not over stress the airframe and damage it. It has huge surfaces and would receive lots of g load stress if flown like a Extra 300. My most rewarding flying days are when I go to the field with my 1/4 scale J-3 Cub and my Rascal 110. Lots of different power plants will fly the 110, I fly mine with a Saito 120 four stroke. Plenty of power for my flying style, and the ASP 160 twin would be way more that you need (that's what the throttle stick is for) and would look awesome with a cylinder hanging out each side of the cowl. Go for it with the 160 twin!!!! Enjoy.....

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Larry , Yes I am definitely a Cub lover , I have eight flying right now and wanted something different and have been debating the Toledo Special , The Bravada or the Rascal 110 , The Toledo Special is a bit small , The Bravada has had a lot complaints of wing warps that Aero Works wont do anything to correct so that leaves the Rascal 110 and I am glad it did because I am very happy with it ..Thanks for the input on the power plants . That's exactly what I want to know . I have an OS 160 in a 1/4 Scale BUSA Cub that I built . I just love it . I haven't run this ASP yet . I hope it runs like the OS ..I will try it .. I think it will enhance the looks of the Rascal will the Jugs sticking out the sides of the cowl . What servos are you using ? I am trying to get everything I need together before I start to assemble this plane .. I am just finishing up an Elder that I am building .. I am covering it right now ..
Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bikerbc View Post
Thanks Larry , Yes I am definitely a Cub lover , I have eight flying right now and wanted something different and have been debating the Toledo Special , The Bravada or the Rascal 110 , The Toledo Special is a bit small , The Bravada has had a lot complaints of wing warps that Aero Works wont do anything to correct so that leaves the Rascal 110 and I am glad it did because I am very happy with it ..Thanks for the input on the power plants . That's exactly what I want to know . I have an OS 160 in a 1/4 Scale BUSA Cub that I built . I just love it . I haven't run this ASP yet . I hope it runs like the OS ..I will try it .. I think it will enhance the looks of the Rascal will the Jugs sticking out the sides of the cowl . What servos are you using ? I am trying to get everything I need together before I start to assemble this plane .. I am just finishing up an Elder that I am building .. I am covering it right now ..
Around my neck of the woods we run gasses on our Rascal 110's. Anything from a 20cc up to a 40cc. I'm running a Syssa 30cc in mine spinning a VESS 18X5.5 prop. We always put on an annual Rascal 110/ Big Bird event and it's a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1950986  

Last edited by Zippi; 12-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bikerbc, I use Futaba S3010 high torque servos on all but the throttle where a S3004 is all you need. These servos have been trouble free and I also have them in a couple of other of my large type planes. They are priced nicely for my budget @ about $23 ea. Other thoughts for your Rascal would be installing a Sullivan tail wire kit to beef up the horz. and vert. stabs. My gut told me to do this! I like to dress up my planes even if they are not actually a scale model. I painted the interior, added a full length pilot shelf with 2 smallish 1/4 scale pilots seated in tandem. I used the supplied instrument panel after laminating it for gloss and longevity. I also added scale like NC numbers on the wing and vert. stab. A 1/4" silver trim tape stripe separates the white and the blue sections and I have a fax door done on each side with thin black trim tape. Just little details that I enjoy doing. With my Saito being inverted I also added a remote glo igniter port. Is your's a new one with flaps and what color, red or blue? I too built an Elder a couple of years ago and covered it with cream colored Coverite Century 12 fabric covering. I am happy with how it went on, shrunk up, and still looks good although the plane isn't flown very often. It is pricey tho. What covering are you using?
Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Zippi, Good looking rascal! I know about your Rascal 110/ big bird event, sounds like great fun but just too far away for me. Have any of the guys in your area who do fly aerobatics with their 110's had any structure failures. As I said earlier, I fly my 110 conservatively, a big old roll now and then and only gently looped it once just to see it do it. Color me "chicken" as I really don't want to destroy it and can't afford to replace it.

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-24-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:45 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Larry Mine is the new one with flaps , Blue and white . I really like the clear blue . I am trying to find some silver pin striping. Its getting hard to find for some reason .. The paint shops up here aren't dealing with pin striping anymore .. At least not the ones I have been dealing with . I just ordered some HITec 645MG servos I don't really need MG but I have some already and they are for sure powerful enough . I am going to install my windows with little turn buckles so that I can remove them and make cabin access easier also I really like your Idea of painting the interior.. I think I will do that and put in a cabin floor . I put in a cabin floor in my Sig Cub and it makes installing a pilot easier and really dresses up the interior .. Thanks for your input and ideas .. My Elder is covered in cream ultra cote with a silver nose .. I have the Vickers Gun and all the wires etc .. Its looking pretty cool so far .. Its been a lot more work than I thought it would be though .. It has been a lot of fun but I am getting tired of it . I want to get going on my Rascal
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you strike out finding automotive pin striping in the color and size (1/4" silver) you want, the Great Planes brand "kwik Stripe model striping tape" is still available from Tower Hobbies but it is very hard to find on their website. I found the part # on the G.P. manufactures' page then went back to T.H. punched in the # and it is in stock. Try part # GPMQ1570 on the Tower website. It's $3.99 a roll and you will need two or three rolls to do your 110. I couldn't find Sorrento, B.C. on my road map (you do have roads don't you?) so I don't know if your in good snow country but I bet the big Rascal would be cool on skis! Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Larry You becha we got roads and snow too .. We are in the interior of BC up by Kamloops . Shuswap Lake Country .. Thanks for the info on the tape .. I will give that a try .. Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Found you on the map; looks like your town is right on Shuswap lake......float fly? I bet that's beautiful country up there, in the summer that is! You must be in the mountains at some altitude and the extra power of the 160 will be useful. I grew up in the "snow capital" of the United States, Buffalo,N.Y. so I know snow too. I didn't fly RC when I was up there so I have only flown off snow once. About 3 yrs ago we had a couple inches of snow here in Georgia and I put some floats on little 3 ch 50" foamy electric Super Cub I have, and flew off the snow in a local soccer field. I know the Rascal 110 get flown as a float plane, 1/4 scale floats should work. I ride a Honda VTX 1300 Custom, what about you?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an 85 Harley FXR that I bought new .. I put a 124 in. SnS motor in it 2 yrs ago .. 150 hp to the back wheel .. First thing I did was rip the tranny to bits .. Its a wild ride ..I am tamed down quite a bit these days though .. Getting old . Our elevation is only about 1200 ft .. I used to fly full size and had my own plane . I love the mountains .
Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have an Annual New Years day fly off the snow at our club field . We usually use Floats or use planes like the Icon or NorthStar ..In recent years I have been getting into electrics because they are so much more user friendly in the winter .. No cold goo on your hand and no hard to start engins to mess with .
Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Zippi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by 52larry52 View Post
Zippi, Good looking rascal! I know about your Rascal 110/ big bird event, sounds like great fun but just too far away for me. Have any of the guys in your area who do fly aerobatics with their 110's had any structure failures. As I said earlier, I fly my 110 conservatively, a big old roll now and then and only gently looped it once just to see it do it. Color me "chicken" as I really don't want to destroy it and can't afford to replace it.
The firewall area needs to be beefed up and the strut attachment area needs some attention as well. The struts are very functional and we check them before each flight. Some of the guys around here really put the Rascal 110 through its paces. Loads of fun. I thing the Zenoah G26 is the most popular gasser but the DLE 30 is gaining popularity. We get our 1/8" pin stripping from Advanced auto parts. We are already planning our Rascal 110/Big Bird event for 2014.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:34 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Merry Christmas to all, and BikerBC, what a great Xmas gift you've received. Big fan of the Rascal series - that classic look!! Hoping you'll do a build thread on yours as I'm already suscribed and have enjoyed a few hints and tidbits already.
Have a great day & a Happy New Year with your new Rascal

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Spitfire Bro 19
Old 12-25-2013, 11:42 AM
2walla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The rascal is a wonderful plane. We have 5-6 of at the field and will all fly together having loads of fun. Everything from electrIc to gas has been tried. The ones with the os 120 and 160 twins are problematic always loosing a cylinder and limping in, the electric one is always having to land and change batteries just when it is getting fun the g26, evolution26, and dle powerd ones are churning on shooting one wheel touch and go after another in formation. If you want to fly it a bunch go gas... The evolution 26 with a pitts muffler will fit well with minor mods, the dle fits well too. The g26 needs a bit more work to cowl in but is bulletproof.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many use suplemental glow heat to avoid cylinder outs on twins, but for a few $$ more cdi could be installed - with a whole lot of fuel options available. Adrian @ CH Ignitions is a great source.

T-man49 in Al
Saito 723
Spitfire Bro 19
Old 12-25-2013, 12:42 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a couple planes that are floaters and as such tend to be difficult to land if you don't have a lot of space to bleed off airspeed and altitude.

What I've done that is very effective is set up dual servo ailerons to reflex (go up) which makes the airfoil less efficient and bring the plane down faster but still at a slow speed. It also lowers the angle of attack and makes stalls much less likely.

The other plane has quad flaps and I set it up with butterfly. The flaps go down and the ailerons go up. That's like putting the brakes on while also lowering the angle of attack at the tips - again, significantly lessens the chance of a devastating stall.

Just some things you might want to keep in mind if you have difficulty bringing the plane down.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2Wala Do you know if the twins that are losing the cylinders and limping in are running on board glow ? I have been planning on using my ASP 160 but after seeing your post I am having second thoughts . I also have a new G26 but felt it might be a bit heavy for the airframe .. How much tail weight are the G26 guys needing to add ? I would do a build thread but I can't figure out how to upload pics...My new camera is too complicated .
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Zippi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bikerbc View Post
2Wala Do you know if the twins that are losing the cylinders and limping in are running on board glow ? I have been planning on using my ASP 160 but after seeing your post I am having second thoughts . I also have a new G26 but felt it might be a bit heavy for the airframe .. How much tail weight are the G26 guys needing to add ? I would do a build thread but I can't figure out how to upload pics...My new camera is too complicated .
I have had three Rascal 110's. One with a G26 and two with the SYSSA 30cc. No weight needed. The rudder servo needs to be up front and the ignition battery next to the firewall and it's still a little tail heavy. I fly mine that way as the Rascal 110 is very forgiving.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you tell me which engine you prefer Zippi ? The Syssa 30 or the G26 ? and why ..
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Zippi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I have had three Rascal 110's. One with a G26 and two with the SYSSA 30cc. No weight needed. The rudder servo needs to be up front and the ignition battery next to the firewall and it's still a little tail heavy. I fly mine that way as the Rascal 110 is very forgiving.
The G26 is a long time favorite of mine and it has proven itself over the years. Very reliable engine. With a 17X6 or 18X6 it flys the Rascal 110 very well. The SYSSA 30cc fits inside the cowl and gives the Rascal a clean look. I'm running a VESS 18X5.5 prop and it will hover the Rascal. I prefer the SYSSA but I guess it all depends on how you want to fly your Rascal.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Ken, I have a buddy that has an older 110. He really puts that thing through its paces. It does things that it looks like it shouldn't be able to do. Hovering, inverted flight, outside maneuvers, etc. In fact he even landed it upside down once! Too much noise in the pit area and he didn't realize his engine quit when making a low inverted pass. Oops! He got it flying again in no time though. I think it is probably his favorite plane in the hanger. Wish I had one...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I am not much of one to hover .. I have no Idea how .. I think I would just would lose my Rascal if I tried so I guess since I already have the G26 that would be the way to go . The G26 is roughly 1 lb. heavier than the Syssa 30 but if that saves adding tail weight it can't hurt can it ?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have no experience with multi-cylinder R.C. airplane engines, so this is in the form of a question, not given as a solution to the claimed glow twin dropped cylinder problum. If the O.S. twins are truly "prone" to lose a cylinder in flight, and I don't know that to be correct, why wouldn't an on board glow igniter system such as the Sullivan system relight the flamed out cylinder by reducing the throttle down to the lower range where the system would be set to turn on the igniter. This of course would assume that both the glow plugs are good. If you have a bad glow plug in one cylinder of a glow twin, that would be no different than a bad spark plug in a twin gas engine. You need to have good "plugs" in any engine, gas, glow, twin, or single cylinder. With one cylinder still running and turning the engine over on a twin, I would think relighting the out cylinder would be possible. Or dosen't it work this way?????

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea I thought that's what they were all about . I am glad you made that point Larry ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service