Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

String in hinge??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

String in hinge??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default String in hinge??

I have assembled any number of ARFs, but the last two from WM have had string in the CA hinges. I removed the string in the the first one, but should it have stayed? Thought it might let the glue penetrate better. I'm just starting the second so it isn't to late to leave it there. Plan B is to use plastic hinges and round toothpicks. It doesn't look all that great, but is low friction and removable if you don't glue the toothpicks. Just drill a press fit hole.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never used this kind of hinge but your thoughts about the string acting as a wick make sounds right to me . Another thought would be that the string is sort of like carbon fiber and real strong . I don't think the mfg. would spend the money for something like this if it wasn't for a reason. I'd use the string . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the string either. These aren't my favorite type of hinges but the ones I have installed, I drilled a hole in the center of each slot into the control surface/wing/stab. Then I attached one of the very long/flexible applicator tips to the CA bottle. Insert the hinges and control surfaces in place then insert the flex tip down into the drilled hole and apply the CA liberally . The "hinge" will wick it in and down and attach it to the wood.
I'd rather use nylon hinges and use small straight pins to "pin" the hinges in. Once they are cut/trimmed they are hardly visible.
The hinges I like to use most often,when/where I can are the hinge points
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Not sure about the string either. These aren't my favorite type of hinges but the ones I have installed, I drilled a hole in the center of each slot into the control surface/wing/stab. Then I attached one of the very long/flexible applicator tips to the CA bottle. Insert the hinges and control surfaces in place then insert the flex tip down into the drilled hole and apply the CA liberally . The "hinge" will wick it in and down and attach it to the wood.
I'd rather use nylon hinges and use small straight pins to "pin" the hinges in. Once they are cut/trimmed they are hardly visible.
The hinges I like to use most often,when/where I can are the hinge points
Ditto ! For years I used nylon hinges, both glued and pinned it. Would not even think about a cloth hinge, but then I observed more and more folks using them, thus I decided to give them try. I used the same method of drilling a hole into the middle of the surface, where the hinge will be placed. While I do not use a flex tip, I know that I am getting very good wicking thru the drilled hole.

Have never seen a cloth hinge with a string attached, but right now it would only make sense that it would be for wicking. Could just be a new idea, but this is the first I have heard of the string. Personally, I think you would get better wicking with a drilled hole. Seems like the balsa and hinge really soaks up the CA with the hole method.

Since I first tried the cloth hinges I have not had a problem, with not one failure.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM
drube

Can you post a pic of the hinge with the string?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM
5skyhawk172

Take the string out
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 AM
oil_can_harry
My Feedback: (2)

The string is there to simply center the hinge. Take it out. It is not stuck in the wood, it is there to let you push the parts together while keeping the hinge centered. Once you have everything like you want it, pull them out and glut the hinge.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Granpooba

Hmmmmmmmmm, see that this thread got moderated ! Good going and thanks !
Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
drube

There was no reason for this thread to get moderated! People need to learn how to have a sense of humor!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM
flyinwalenda

Well ,not surprised. So many in the world today have their hearts located in the wrong spot. It was meant as visual humor played off your post. As usual my sense of humor flies hundreds of feet above most heads ....always has!
Hey, at least they have active moderation here as opposed to that other place where a lot of users consider it a pastime being OHfended by posts and hitting the report button for some of the most trivial things
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by drube
There was no reason for this thread to get moderated! People need to learn how to have a sense of humor!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thinks myself has always had a good, dry sense of humor. But DUH !! Isn't this a HOBBY SITE and not a pharmacy ?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 AM
flyinwalenda

Well the joke has sailed over the heads of most and is long gone.
If the joke has to be explained then chances are it still won't be understood after the fact
I'm thinking the moderator had a bit of a chuckle as he was doing his thing !
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 AM
drube

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thinks myself has always had a good, dry sense of humor. But DUH !! Isn't this a HOBBY SITE and not a pharmacy ?
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! This is a HOBBY SITE but obviously YOU can't take a joke! But DUH!! It's not like it was used!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by drube
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! This is a HOBBY SITE but obviously YOU can't take a joke! But DUH!! It's not like it was used!
No drube, I can take a joke and did think that it was humorous. But in respect for any women or young ladies that may be checking out this site and thread, I do think that it was in poor taste.

Now I can say that it is evident that you not have any respect for anybody, and the only taste is in your mouth !

With that said, I will now block this thread out as I do not wish to deal with such low lives.

Perhaps a moderator should just completely remove this thread.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
flyinwalenda

Why the personal attacks now ? No one attacked you ! You reported it and got what you wanted and that's fine . Yet now you are coming back in looking to stir things up ? Is this your pastime like some of the folks on that other site?
Perhaps you should have heeded your own advice and left the thread early on .
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
drube

Originally Posted by Granpooba
No drube, I can take a joke and did think that it was humorous. But in respect for any women or young ladies that may be checking out this site and thread, I do think that it was in poor taste.

Now I can say that it is evident that you not have any respect for anybody, and the only taste is in your mouth !

With that said, I will now block this thread out as I do not wish to deal with such low lives.

Perhaps a moderator should just completely remove this thread.
What, you don't think a woman or girl has ever seen one? You gotta be kidding me! Run and hide... You're such a baby! Perhaps a moderator should just completely remove you!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM
drube

Originally Posted by ec121
I have assembled any number of ARFs, but the last two from WM have had string in the CA hinges. I removed the string in the the first one, but should it have stayed? Thought it might let the glue penetrate better. I'm just starting the second so it isn't to late to leave it there. Plan B is to use plastic hinges and round toothpicks. It doesn't look all that great, but is low friction and removable if you don't glue the toothpicks. Just drill a press fit hole.
Back on topic. Is there any way you can post a pic of the hinges?