Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

No more Hanger 9 products for this hobbyist !

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

No more Hanger 9 products for this hobbyist !

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyPilot101
I think Horizon put out a good ARF, shure there are comprises, but that comes with the price point, never got an ARF from them that wasn't easily correctable, and if you do, there customer support will take care of it.
The quality of the ARF that Horizon specified is probably different from what Horizon's OEM partner in China actually supplied. All of the major ARF suppliers have this problem periodically.

Maintaining quality can be unexpectedly punishing sometimes. Sig refused a shipment of ARFs a few years ago because of substandard quality. The Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) decided to recoup their losses by dumping the planes on the cheap and selling them to the Nitro Planes/Raidentech group. Not only did Sig not have product to sell to its customers, but RC pilots were going to NitroPlanes.com and buying Kadet ARFs that looked like the genuine article, including Sig's owner's manual, which simply had Sig's name crossed out on the cover.

I talked to a local pilot who bought some of the Nitro Planes Kadets, and he decided that Sig ARFs must be a rip-off since Nitro Planes was able to sell them so much cheaper. His logic made sense to him, and I never could get him to look at it from the other direction.

All Horizon can do when they get a shipment of bad ARFs from an OEM is yell at them, try to get a partial refund for the order, then use the refunded money to provide extra replacement parts and customer service support to folks who bought the bad planes.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi, my 95" Hangar 9 cessna 182, my Hangar 9 Funtana S90 and my Hangar 9 Tribute 36!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:31 PM
jbarnes

Buy a $1400 H9 Decathlon and have the wing tube not fit and be told there is currently no fix for this problem. Now that will get your blood boiling rather quickly! Jerry.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Originally Posted by jbarnes
Buy a $1400 H9 Decathlon and have the wing tube not fit and be told there is currently no fix for this problem. Now that will get your blood boiling rather quickly! Jerry.
Too big or too small?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant_Scale_Gasser
Too big or too small?
What is the difference ?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like your flying style.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have purchased and flown many different ARFs sold by different companies. In my opinion only H9 provides the best in quality and finish. With that said there is always an exception to the rule and like yourself I have gotten lemons.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
kwblake

Propworn......You covered it in the "livery" of your choice. Ya just gotta love that. The Brit's were involved......but we are Canadian!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
CafeenMan

I'm a life-long builder as is the OP. I think it's funny when people say the quality of ARF is getting worse when I saw very few ARFs that I thought were even decent.

I've said many times that back in the day a lot of people hated building and would have bought ARFs if they were available. The only two that I know of back then were MRC and Lanier. The MRC looked pretty good, but Lanier was basically bricks with wings.

The people like me who actually like building are never going to be satisfied with an ARF and I think it's a mistake in the first place for us to buy one. There is very little chance we're going to like it if we're actually skilled builders. For us it's almost always a labor of love - something that no manufacturer is going to share. They aren't hiring model airplane artists to lovingly and painstakingly fit each piece and fasten it in place.

Instead of being angry about it just accept that an ARF will never meet your quality standards and continue to build your own. I wouldn't stop doing business with Hanger 9 because of an ARF. Everyone selling ARF's has the same problem even if you didn't buy one. If your reason is because they sell a poor quality ARF that won't leave you many places to do business with.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Originally Posted by Granpooba
What is the difference ?
Was just curious...
Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Originally Posted by flycatch
I have purchased and flown many different ARFs sold by different companies. In my opinion only H9 provides the best in quality and finish. With that said there is always an exception to the rule and like yourself I have gotten lemons.
When I get lemons... I use them in my Long Island Iced Teas...
Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

I've had a lot of experience working with Chinese manufacturers at my previous company. You have to keep up the relationship. If you do, they will do almost anything for you ... if you mess up the relationship, they will screw you over in the blink of an eye. Where things usually fall apart is when there is a major quality issue. The standard response from a western customer would be to reject the whole lot and dump it back on their door step. You need to handle it with much more diplomacy and tact, and maybe consider eating some of the cost yourself while helping them overcome the quality problems. Part of the cost of doing business ...

Originally Posted by bigedmustafa
The quality of the ARF that Horizon specified is probably different from what Horizon's OEM partner in China actually supplied. All of the major ARF suppliers have this problem periodically.

Maintaining quality can be unexpectedly punishing sometimes. Sig refused a shipment of ARFs a few years ago because of substandard quality. The Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) decided to recoup their losses by dumping the planes on the cheap and selling them to the Nitro Planes/Raidentech group. Not only did Sig not have product to sell to its customers, but RC pilots were going to NitroPlanes.com and buying Kadet ARFs that looked like the genuine article, including Sig's owner's manual, which simply had Sig's name crossed out on the cover.

I talked to a local pilot who bought some of the Nitro Planes Kadets, and he decided that Sig ARFs must be a rip-off since Nitro Planes was able to sell them so much cheaper. His logic made sense to him, and I never could get him to look at it from the other direction.

All Horizon can do when they get a shipment of bad ARFs from an OEM is yell at them, try to get a partial refund for the order, then use the refunded money to provide extra replacement parts and customer service support to folks who bought the bad planes.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Best kits I've ever had... Airtronics... Jensen... Pilot .... many excellent ARFs... in the last few years, Kyosho warbirds, GP Dirty Birdy, H9 Spitfire and Ultra Stik, Aeroworks Yak 54, TF Corsair, TF Texan, Flyzone Hadron, H9 Scimitar, H9 Stryker, GP Ultimate 160, and others. All good, great fliers, good builds, not too heavy, good covering especially the UltraKote. Foamies are great fliers, good paint, arrow straight, dependable electronics. Jeez, I must be lucky. Sorry to hear of the problems others have had. Tower and Horizon have both been great in products, speed of delivery, and replacement parts, needed rarely.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15743.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1970347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49099.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1970348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52247.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1970349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75597.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1970350  
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
HOT COALS

I BOUGHT 3 ARF, ONE FROM HANGAR 9, 1FROM G.P., & 1 FROM T.B.M.. ALL HAD MINOR ISSUES. WENT BACK TO BUILDING MY OWN. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON 1 PERTICULAR PLANE NOWN FOR 3yrs. YUP 3yrs. AND HOPE TO SEE IT FINISHED & FLY BEFORE I GET MY OWN SET OF WINGS .
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM
TPL33

I've bought one Hangar 9 ARF, the RV8 -46, and had no issues what so ever! The covering out of the box was perfect, not a single sag or wrinkle, everything fit and went together perfectly, and it's an awesome flying airplane. Now, the company I've relied on for years for their quality, Great Planes, so far is another story for me. I bought the small revolver ARF and spent two weeks (part time) ironing out all the wrinkles in the covering. Haven't started putting the plane together yet, hopefully that'll go better than the covering looked! Point being I guess, just because you got one kit/plane that was bad doesn't necessarily mean they're all bad! Although I do believe they should apply some quality control before they're sent to the distributors.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 AM
CafeenMan

Airtronics, Bridi, Proctor, Royal and Pilot made the best of the best kits back in the day.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda makes you wonder about this factories quality control, doesn't it ?

Look closely at the pic.

Name:	Kv15743.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1970445  
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom... that's the way I check stab alignment with wing. Is it not a reasonable way to do it?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
Best kits I've ever had... Airtronics... Jensen... Pilot .... many excellent ARFs... in the last few years, Kyosho warbirds, GP Dirty Birdy, H9 Spitfire and Ultra Stik, Aeroworks Yak 54, TF Corsair, TF Texan, Flyzone Hadron, H9 Scimitar, H9 Stryker, GP Ultimate 160, and others. All good, great fliers, good builds, not too heavy, good covering especially the UltraKote. Foamies are great fliers, good paint, arrow straight, dependable electronics. Jeez, I must be lucky. Sorry to hear of the problems others have had. Tower and Horizon have both been great in products, speed of delivery, and replacement parts, needed rarely.

Just looking at the pictures and wondering. In the covering pictures, does the factory supply those irons ? Or do the workers have to bring theirs from home after they finish their laundry ?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AA5BY
Tom... that's the way I check stab alignment with wing. Is it not a reasonable way to do it?
It was a joke. He's holding the stab, with the trailing edge to the front. Canard elevators ?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Airtronics, Bridi, Proctor, Royal and Pilot made the best of the best kits back in the day.
Hands down, Pilot's designs where ahead of all the rest. And I mean way ahead... I remember the kits we got at the time (over 30 years+ ago) were only in Japanese. With no building instructions.

Royal were complicated designs, Proctor models were a beauty, but you had to be unemployed to have enough time to finish those things in a reasonable amount of time, Bridi never appealed to me, and Airtronics I do not remember, but I remember Midwest. They had excellent designs and quality... Always loved Balsa USA and still do:-)

Gerry
Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 AM
CafeenMan

Bridi and Airtronics both made kits that were all machine cut - no die-cutting. Just a bunch of already cut parts made from good wood that fit together properly.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 AM
thrawn150

I own 6 Hangar 9 arfs ranging from 40 size to 30cc and never had a issue with any of them as far as plane its self. I did have twice were the parts bag was missing, called up support they sent it out. I keep buying H9 because of the lack of issues.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kwblake
Propworn......You covered it in the "livery" of your choice. Ya just gotta love that. The Brit's were involved......but we are Canadian!!!!!!!!
Believe me I looked all over for a distinctive full size covering job in CDN markings the two I found there were no good shots of them useful for documentation. The owners never answered my inquiries. When I found the pictures of G-FLIK I loved the paint so I contacted the owner via email. Not only did he promptly reply he supplied various pictures that allowed me enough documentation to build it as a standoff scale model which was what I was looking for. He even asked for pictures and video when I was done. Hard to beat that kind of rapport when your attempting to duplicate the full size. If I cannot work it out in CDN livery usually Great Britain is my next choice. Most of the US ones have been done many times over so it makes it hard to have something unique.

Dennis
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I forgot Proctor kits as top quality examples of pre-ARF days. They took a long time to put together, but the results were exceptional.

Name:	pilot.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1970498   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot-gun.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1970499   Click image for larger version

Name:	pRear.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1970500   Click image for larger version

Name:	pPRear Frame.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1970501  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.