Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Small Great Planes Revolver Owners

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Small Great Planes Revolver Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Great Planes Revolver Owners

I'm building one, and have got to the step where you put the wings on for the first time, prior to installing the tail section. There are gaps in between the wing root and the fuselage, at the leading and trailing edges of the wing. The left wing is worse than the right, the gap at the leading edge is approximately 1/16". Looks like the right wing is liveable. I'm just curious if others have had this problem, what they did to rectify it, or, did you just live with it and no effects were noticed while flying. I ask the last part because I have a Hangar 9 RV8 ARF that has the same problem but is a beautiful flier. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To date I have assembled three Revolvers, two RV 70's and one RV 60. Personally, I have not run into the gaps that you have mentioned. My Revolver wings have pretty much butted right up against the fuselages. I am not saying that there were no gaps, but have not seen any that measured 1/16". The gaps could be due to bend in the fuselage and nothing wrong with wings.

Personally, as long as the wings are properly mounted on the wing tube, the fuselage pin fits snuggly and you can get the wing bolt tight then I would live with it. Wings are tight, then I do not believe the gaps will affect flight.

I have not seen a bad flying Revolver to date, except the one that I had with a DLE-20 mounted in it. Mother Earth bit it on its maiden flight and to date nobody has come up with a reason why she did so.

Revolver #1 is powered by a Saito 91. Revolver #2 is powered by an OS 55 AX. As I stated #3 got eaten by Mother Earth. But I am already ahead of the game as I have another Revolver #4 new in the box and will probably power that one again with a DLE-20.

I would just complete the assembly and fly it. Personally, I think you will really enjoy the model.

Good luck and have fun ...........

P.S. Decided to edit this posting.

Sitting here watching the OSCARS and thinking about your Revolver. One thing you might want to check is the wing tube itself. Thinking that it might be just a hair long or 1/16 of an inch long, thus preventing the wings from butting tightly against the fuselage. Just a late thought in regards to your Revolver. I would sand say about 1/32 off the end of the tube and see if it improves the fit. If the fit improves then your problem is solved and remove a little more material from the tube for a tight fit.

Last edited by Granpooba; 03-02-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM
TPL33

Originally Posted by Granpooba
To date I have assembled three Revolvers, two RV 70's and one RV 60. Personally, I have not run into the gaps that you have mentioned. My Revolver wings have pretty much butted right up against the fuselages. I am not saying that there were no gaps, but have not seen any that measured 1/16". The gaps could be due to bend in the fuselage and nothing wrong with wings.

Personally, as long as the wings are properly mounted on the wing tube, the fuselage pin fits snuggly and you can get the wing bolt tight then I would live with it. Wings are tight, then I do not believe the gaps will affect flight.

I have not seen a bad flying Revolver to date, except the one that I had with a DLE-20 mounted in it. Mother Earth bit it on its maiden flight and to date nobody has come up with a reason why she did so.

Revolver #1 is powered by a Saito 91. Revolver #2 is powered by an OS 55 AX. As I stated #3 got eaten by Mother Earth. But I am already ahead of the game as I have another Revolver #4 new in the box and will probably power that one again with a DLE-20.

I would just complete the assembly and fly it. Personally, I think you will really enjoy the model.

Good luck and have fun ...........

P.S. Decided to edit this posting.

Sitting here watching the OSCARS and thinking about your Revolver. One thing you might want to check is the wing tube itself. Thinking that it might be just a hair long or 1/16 of an inch long, thus preventing the wings from butting tightly against the fuselage. Just a late thought in regards to your Revolver. I would sand say about 1/32 off the end of the tube and see if it improves the fit. If the fit improves then your problem is solved and remove a little more material from the tube for a tight fit.
Thanks for the reply. The wing does go on nice and snug, both the tube and the alignment pins fit in nicely. I think you're correct, the fuselage must have slightly more curve in the area with the gap. Even though I'm sure it'll be fine, I may get some thin balsa sheeting and make a fillet on the fuse to get rid of the gap.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 AM
TPL33

Originally Posted by TPL33
Thanks for the reply. The wing does go on nice and snug, both the tube and the alignment pins fit in nicely. I think you're correct, the fuselage must have slightly more curve in the area with the gap. Even though I'm sure it'll be fine, I may get some thin balsa sheeting and make a fillet on the fuse to get rid of the gap.
I just saw your edit, didn't see it when I first replied. I could try removing some material off the end of the tube. Only problem is the wing sits flush against the fuse at the point where the wing tube/wing/fuse come together. The gap starts a bit forward of the wing tube area and continues to the wing LE. I don't know if taking some off the tube would help but as always, thanks for the thought!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TPL33
I just saw your edit, didn't see it when I first replied. I could try removing some material off the end of the tube. Only problem is the wing sits flush against the fuse at the point where the wing tube/wing/fuse come together. The gap starts a bit forward of the wing tube area and continues to the wing LE. I don't know if taking some off the tube would help but as always, thanks for the thought!
After reading your explanation on the fit and where the gap is, I agree that removing any material from the end of the wing tube will not help. Personally if it is not that bad I would live with it and just fly the heck out of the model.

But then again, if you have the time and the workmanship skills, then you could build up the rib that butts against the fuselage.

In any case, once again enjoy it and have fun !