Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Recovering an ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Recovering an ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering an ARF

Hi,

I was recently given a good deal on a Phoenix Accipiter 60. The airplane had been in storage and the covering was delaminating but otherwise NIB. I need to re cover this 68" span 65" long model. Predominantly white, the underside of the wing is light purple and there are some patches of trimkote. How much white and light purple covering will I require?

Ameyam
Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ameyam
Hi,

I was recently given a good deal on a Phoenix Accipiter 60. The airplane had been in storage and the covering was delaminating but otherwise NIB. I need to re cover this 68" span 65" long model. Predominantly white, the underside of the wing is light purple and there are some patches of trimkote. How much white and light purple covering will I require?

Ameyam
If as you state it has only been in storage and NIB, could you possibly just go over the present covering with a heat gun and iron, thus preventing the need to completely recover it ? Most coverings will wrinkle if they are left unattended to while in storage.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM
ameyam

If you run your finger over the covering, the white separates & clear plastic comes off

Ameyam
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM
ameyam

If you run your finger over the covering, the white separates & clear plastic comes off

Ameyam
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the measurements of each are covered in white. Multiply Length and width to figure out how many square inches are needed. Do the same with the purple.

Compare the figures to that of the covering you plan to purchase. Buy accordingly.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are using Monokote two rolls will cover a .60 size model. But when you start to get fancy and mix colors it becomes trickier. If you do it right you can probably still get by with two rolls - but most of us get lazy and overlap a lot.

Cover the largest areas first and, wherever possible work from the bottom up and the back forward. Bottom wing, top wing, bottom fuselage, top fuselage, bottom empennage, vert stab, top empennage, ailerons, rudder, then any fiddly bits. That puts the seam overlap where it will shed exhaust (matters with fueled models) and slipstream tugging at the seams is minimized. You can get really fancy and make "v" channel strips to cover the empennage seams before you do the rest of the fuselage. Same with the wing's aileron cut-out edges if they are not strip ailerons. That prevents any gaps and makes sealing the larger pieces much easier.