Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

The Sig T-Clips 70 thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

The Sig T-Clips 70 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hobbychina2010
You can use ASP 120AR Two Stroke Nitro / Glow Engines
I think the ASP 120 would be way too much for this little, lightly built, airframe.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

WAY overkill, unless you want to see the wing or tail rip off.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:26 PM
dan v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did u do with the 70 tclips? I reinforced my firewall and I'm installing a rcgf 10cc with a 13x6 prop.
The 2 angle supports at the top inside firewall are hardwood. Did u resupport your firewall? What engine did u use?
Thanks
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TClips engine mounting 002 (640x480).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	2139281  
Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 PM
dan v

I would appriciate any input from anyone with a 70 tclips
than you very much
Old 01-02-2016, 04:25 PM
acdii

Other than slapping some dope inside, i didn't do anything to reinforce it. I run an FG-11 4 stroke Saito Gas engine in mine. It turns a 13x6 APC. The FG-11 comes with its own mount so I had to knock out the factory installed T-nuts, and re position them for the Saito mount, and thats about it.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
dan v

Thanks acdii. For anyone interested here is the 10cc gas engine I'm trying. RCGF 10cc BM. this engine is $199.99 and features a walbro carb. Comes with nice mounting bolts,
and I' using the sig mounts the arf came with. https://www.rcgfusa.com/rcgf-10cc-bm-2

Name:	TClips with engine 002.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	2139613  

Last edited by dan v; 01-03-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:00 PM
vicrider

This thread been dead for a little while so I thought I would add this to get it started again.
Just received this today. Will get started on it this weekend. Will be powering it with an O.S FS-62V fourstroke. Should work well.

Name:	IMG_0142 (640x480).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	2158292  

Last edited by vicrider; 04-20-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:46 PM
vicrider

Have the motor mounted, used an 80 degree elbow to keep the stock muffler in the cowling, not the best job but it will do.

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	2159122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	2159123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	2159124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	2159125  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM
acdii

Just a suggestion, you may want to open the bottom rear on the cowl and baffle around the cylinder or you may have cooling issues. Having the muffler inside the cowl is going to add heat, especially where you dont want it, near the carb. I think somewhere back I posted a pic of how I opened mine up for the FG-11, and haven't had any cooling issues, yet.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM
vicrider

Thanks for the suggestion acdii, I will keep all that in mind. Are you still flying yours ? You still like it ? Im expecting to really enjoy this one. Have always liked flying planes like this when powered by a 4 stroke.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM
acdii

I was going to fly it last Sunday but the rudder servo was glitching. I got it home, tested it again and it worked fine, so dont know what was up with it. I had a 4-60 that had a glitching aileron servo too, and it is also working just fine now, so no idea what was up with them. They are on different radios too. Weather looks horrible for the next two weeks, so dont know when I will get a chance to fly it again. I bought a new Futaba 14FG and plan to move all my 8FGS planes to it, and use the 8FGS as a buddy box, then give it to my wife for her plane once she gets proficient enough to solo.

The T-Clips should fly better with the new radio, the gimbals are smoother and have more throw so I should be able to get finer rudder control. If anything the T-Clips is a **** o the ground when taking off, and it is not just me, I watched a few taking off at the SIG flyin last year that were just as squirrely.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:32 PM
vicrider

The weather here is not looking good also. I have a 14sg also and thats what is what I will be using in this plane. Really like the radio. I'm anticipating the plane to be a handful on the ground. I have put toe-in on the main gear and have put in 30 percent expo on the rudder hoping this wil be a good start. We will see. Years ago I had a great planes .40 piper cup with an O.S. .40 4 stroke, as long as T-Cips isn't as bad a gound looper as that one I will be happy.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an OS GT 15 in my grandsons T Clip. Way overpowered but fun. I also soft rubber Iso mounted the engine. I have a 14x8 on it. The soft mount and stock muffler make the model super quiet even close up.

The plane is short coupled and will ground loop in an instant if you let it. Take it easy on the take off and accelerate it smoothly and you won't have problems. It flies well and is a good trainer for my grandson.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 AM
acdii

Dial in a lot of Expo and short throw on the rudder for take off too, or you will be chasing tail all the way. One more thing to be watchful of, it will take off before it is ready, which usually results in a cartwheel as it will drop a wing once the AoA changes. Some times my takes offs are arrow straight, but most of the times its a zigzag chase before it lifts its wheels. Once off the ground though, it picks up speed quickly and becomes a blast to fly. I can do touch and goes for an hour, literately, since my FG-11 can run an hour on the 12 ounce tank. Its only when taking off from a dead stop that its a PITA. Until there is enough airspeed on the rudder, it doesn't take much for that nose to swing around.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM
vicrider

Good info, Thanks. Its nearly done, but might not get a first flight tell the weekend after next. Weather and work, it never ends.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM
vicrider

I took it out today for its first flight. It went well, the O.S. 62v ran great, more then enough power for this plane and it idled and transitioned real well. I did cheat and put a futaba gya430 gyro on the rudder so there was no ground looping problems. In the video at 6:05 I have the gyro turned off, it does want to swing around. anyways here is an onboard video with all the jello and vibes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59AoRGHf5BU
Old 05-07-2016, 07:11 AM
acdii

Congrats on taming the beast! I went to fly mine a couple weeks ago, but the rudder servo told me not to. Funny thing is, when I got it home to replace it, there was no longer an issue. Just wondering if I was getting some interference at the field, I had another plane have an aileron servo act up as well, but worked OK at home.

What did that gyro cost, have a link to it? I tried a 3 axis, didn't do a thing but make it unstable in flight.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM
vicrider

[QUOTE=acdii;12210821 What did that gyro cost, have a link to it? I tried a 3 axis, didn't do a thing but make it unstable in flight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks acdii, Here is the link to the gyro I used http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCNFR&P=0 It worked great, There was absolutely no problems with ground loops with the gyro, take offs were a non event with it.

With the help of malcom holts book on the 14sg I was able set it up on a 3 postion switch with out to much problem.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:28 AM
acdii

That looks like a decent device, and since I run Futaba, 8FGS and now the 14 FG, the Sbus is an option too. I added it to my wish list.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM
vicrider

I was really surprised how tame the plane was on take off using this gyro, it really was a non issue, there was little to no input used, just line it up and go. Over all the plane flew really good, landing was a piece of cake, it bounced a couple of times but I think after I get used to it there will be less of that.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:22 PM
acdii

Yeah she bounces easy if you come down too quick. getting the speed right with the right flare takes lots of practice. The only real reason I dont fly it more often is due to its squirrly ground manners. Going to give the gyro a try and see what happens. .I think the one I have was giving me issues due to how I set it up, too many things to setup, so only doing the rudder will probably be best. I went to the field today, got three flights in, but spent the entire afternoon there. I flew my LT-40 for a tank, and after flying I noticed quite a bit of play in the elevator, found out the outer tube was loose for the pushrod, so glued that up, then pulled out my P-51 which last time I flew I put it in the ground due to a high speed snap roll ( high speed stall?). I spent a couple hours going over everything, replaced a servo a mouse had chewed the cround wire on, then fired up the new to me Saito 125, it's used, and first time I started it. Much to my surprise it started right up and ran great. I had got up the nerve and took off, nearly lost it on take off, but was able to recover it. It wanted to roll left and yaw left, which made take off hair raising. I got it up high and trimmed rudder and aileron, and got it to fly level, and it flew great. No more high speed snap rolls now, I reduced elevator to 7/16" throw and it is all it needs. Landing was pretty good, though tall grass and this plane makes for an easy nose over. Then I flew my Something Extra. I was considering the T-Clips but I didn't have enough time, it will stay up an hour on 12 ounces. I have everything loaded in my trailer, so next time up, just hook up and go.

Have you tried inverted with it? It is a fun plane.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM
vicrider

No I don't think I have had it inverted, The 4 times I had it in the air so far was just flying around aimlessly just getting used to it, I did do alot of touch and goes getting used to the way it behaved on landings. I spend most of my flying between my Big stik .60 and my 30cc escapade, they both are easy and alot of fun to fly with no bad habits, but I really like the way the T-Clip 70 flys so Im going to have to fit it in between those 2. I think im going to need a trailer, lol.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 AM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can tell you a DLE 20 would be Way over powered. I had (yes had) a OS fs 70 on mine and it was just Way more power than needed. If you want gas I would suggest 1 10 or 15 cc probably 15 would be a LOT of fun

Mine is lost because I had a flight battery go dead...
I have just ordered another and I have to say, I will probably never be without one again... I LOVE this plane as did everyone at my club
Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We put ours in a tree recently. No damage while in the tree but got heavily damaged upon retrieval when it hit the ground. Repairs were completed and its flying again.

while on the bench, I cut and lengthened the tail 4 1/2". I did this for a couple reasons....first to remove 7 ounces of dead tail weight. Balance is only slightly nose heavy now and much more manageable. Second, to eliminate the ground looping tendency and make ground handling a breeze. Both goals were accomplished. The flight envelope improved as well by becoming smoother and more in line with what I was looking for. Aerobatic consistency improved which means maneuver exits became much more predictable.

It's become an excellent trainer type but with aerobatic teeth......proof of the pudding, my son finally got a full solo under his belt. That came on his third flight. We both were tickled.....
Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 AM
acdii

I finally got the hang of the ground handling. Step one, LOTS of expo and very small throw, but only on take off. Keep the stick straight as it rolls, and just as the tail comes up, tap the rudder, just a tiny tap is all it takes to keep the nose straight, and off it goes.

If you fly on a windy day, head right into the wind and she goes straight as an arrow. Once off the ground I flip to full throw, no expo.

Now if I can only figure out why the engine quits when I come to a full stop on landing. Doesn't matter how long I flew, could be a 5 minute flight, or a 35 minute flight, every single time I land and the plane stops rolling, the engine quits. Its an FG-11, and it runs great, idles perfectly too, and I can go up to the plane, and one flip its running again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.