Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SIG T-Clips 70 Build Thread, IT's Here!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SIG T-Clips 70 Build Thread, IT's Here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sawdust
I am getting ready to build my T-Clips 70 and trying to decide on an engine. I have an O S 70 4 stroke and an HP 61 available. Which one should I use. Also I have never mounted an engine inverted. Is there anything I need to pay attention to to get the engine to run correctly. Thank you. Todd
I am working on two these right now. One for me and one for a friend of mine. I have a Laser 70 in mine and an OS-70 in his. Both of these engines fit just fine and you should not have a problem. Just be careful when cutting the cowl especially where the engine pushrod tubes are as you will have to cut into that black square piece on the bottom of the cowl and it is not real easy as it is not totally square inside the cowl. Just take your time and don't rush it and you will be fine. I spent a couple of hours of fitting and cutting and fitting and cutting until I got them to fit just right.

We have on board glow on both of them. We are using the ones from Switch-glo. I don't think there will be a fuel problem with the tank as it is on the bottom floor of the fuse. We did go with Dubro 12 oz square tanks instead of the stock ones as we did not like the nylon tubing used in the stopper. Using the Dubro tank you do not need to glue in that little former for it. The wing bolts are actually 1/4-20's and not the goofy metric size they say they are. Although according to Sig the 1/4-20 supposedly translates to that goofy metric size. We were going to use 4-40 hardware instead of what came with the kit but cannot on the elevator or rudder as the pushrod tubes inside the fuse is too small. We were able to use 2-56 rods on those two control surfaces but we able to use 4-40 on the ailerons. The control surfaces are pretty thin so you will need to use the ca hinges.

Good luck with your kit
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have a Dremel, it makes quick work of the cowl. Just wear a mask when you do so you dont breathe in the dust or you will regret it.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 AM
thebluemax

Originally Posted by acdii
If you have a Dremel, it makes quick work of the cowl. Just wear a mask when you do so you dont breathe in the dust or you will regret it.

I used a Dremel to cut both of them and it did do an easy job of cutting. However, it wasn't so much the actual cutting that took the time, it was fitting it on and taking it off so many times to see how much more needed to be cut to get it to fit right.

The area to be cut should have some tape on it to keep the gel coat from chipping. I used the blue painters tape. Also watch out for the edges of the cowl as they can chip pretty easily too. One of the ones I worked on the edge chipped off when removing the tape after drilling the holes to mount the cowl.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are Futaba 3004 standard servos okay for this plane or would the Futaba 3010 be a better choice. I am going to use a 6 cell 1100 mah nicad battery. Thank you. Todd
Old 05-16-2015, 11:51 AM
acdii

3004 are fine for this. The 10 has more torque and speed, but you wont need the torque and the 3004 speed is just right for this one. I use them for just about all my planes, the only plane I used something with more power is the 4*120 for the tail, and 3010 for the ailerons.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM
sawdust

The 3004s will save me some money as I have them on hand. Thank you. Todd

3004 are fine for this. The 10 has more torque and speed, but you wont need the torque and the 3004 speed is just right for this one. I use them for just about all my planes, the only plane I used something with more power is the 4*120 for the tail, and 3010 for the ailerons.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Jerry Hicks
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, you folks have all convinced me that I need to get started on mine. It's been on the shelf since I picked it up from the LHS two months ago. Going to use a Saito 72GK. Anyone mount a Saito 72, using the included engine mounts? If not, what mount did you use....?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 AM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Default T-Clips engine question

Originally Posted by Jerry Hicks
OK, you folks have all convinced me that I need to get started on mine. It's been on the shelf since I picked it up from the LHS two months ago. Going to use a Saito 72GK. Anyone mount a Saito 72, using the included engine mounts? If not, what mount did you use....?
Hello, Jerry! The Saito 72 should work fine. I used a Saito .65 on mine with no problem. The .72 crankcase may be slightly larger, but the mount will accommodate it just fine. The other plus is there is plenty of room to mount the throttle linkage out away from the firewall. I think you will like the fit and finish of the whole project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sig T-Clips 003.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	2096513  
Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Jerry Hicks
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks!!! You might remember the engine, it's from the Toledo 40 I got from you several years ago. Any other advice, suggestions, etc...?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

That was a GK .72 as I remember it. It should be perfect. You might be prepared to add tail weight with a 4-stroke sticking out the recommended 5 1/4". I had to add 2 ounces to the tail, but that's not too bad. My plane weighed an all-up 7 lbs., even with the added weight.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 AM
thebluemax

I am getting ready to build my T-Clips 70 and trying to decide on an engine. I have an O S 70 4 stroke and an HP 61 available. Which one should I use. Also I have never mounted an engine inverted. Is there anything I need to pay attention to to get the engine to run correctly. Thank you. Todd

Here is the OS-70 mounted in my friends T-clips and the Laser 70 mounted in mine. Have not balanced them yet but using a quick finger test they seem to be nose heavy. I will put them on the Vanessa to get an accurate reading.

I have questions about using expo. I do not have an issue with expo as I like using it. However, my friend does not like using expo at all. Is it necessary to use expo on the T-clips? How good is the amounts recommended in the manual? Did you find you needed more, less, or is it good enough? I realize this depends on the pilots preference but looking for a good starting point.
thanks...

Name:	t-clips os70.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2098447   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-clips laser 70.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	2098448  

Last edited by thebluemax; 05-25-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added to expo question
Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
acdii

I only have expo on the rudder for take off, though doesn't help any, still too squirrely on takeoff. I have to practice taking off in this plane as it tend to veer left, then snap right. Someone said to bump the rudder and time it just as the tail wheel comes up, so will give that a try, otherwise I have no need for any expo.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
thebluemax

I only have expo on the rudder for take off, though doesn't help any, still too squirrely on takeoff. I have to practice taking off in this plane as it tend to veer left, then snap right. Someone said to bump the rudder and time it just as the tail wheel comes up, so will give that a try, otherwise I have no need for any expo.
Thanks for the reply. We will have to remember the squirrely issue on takeoff.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM
sawdust

I still have reservations about mounting my O-70 inverted. Can you let me know how it performs inverted. I do no like dead sticks. Other than the cosmetics could you mount the engine upright? Thank you. Todd

Originally Posted by thebluemax
Here is the OS-70 mounted in my friends T-clips and the Laser 70 mounted in mine. Have not balanced them yet but using a quick finger test they seem to be nose heavy. I will put them on the Vanessa to get an accurate reading.

I have questions about using expo. I do not have an issue with expo as I like using it. However, my friend does not like using expo at all. Is it necessary to use expo on the T-clips? How good is the amounts recommended in the manual? Did you find you needed more, less, or is it good enough? I realize this depends on the pilots preference but looking for a good starting point.
thanks...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 AM
thebluemax

I still have reservations about mounting my O-70 inverted. Can you let me know how it performs inverted. I do no like dead sticks. Other than the cosmetics could you mount the engine upright? Thank you. Todd

It should run ok as we have remote glow on it. It is tied into the transmitter to light the glow plug any time at middle to low throttle if needed. But due to work schedules and family medical issues I am not sure when the maiden will be but I can let you know when we do.

You can side mount the engine if you are concerned about mounting it inverted. According to the manual, the engine mount should not be a problem. However you may have to raise the fuel tank to be even with the centerline of the carb as the fuel tank as well as the hole in the firewall for the fuel lines is low in the bottom of the fuse.

Good luck.....

This below is from the manual.

The T-CLIPS is designed for INVERTED glow engine mounting.
We found that to be the most trouble free installation in most
cases. However with some glow engines you may want to explore
the option of side mounting. Note that the pre-mounted blind nuts
for the engine mounts are symmetrically spaced - i.e. the same
spacing left-to-right as up-to-down.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM
sawdust

Well I have decided to use the OS-70 and put an on board glow driver on it. That will make it easier to start and hopefully keep it running. Thank you for the replies. bob
Old 06-22-2015, 06:35 PM
acdii

Just a heads up to all T-Clips owners. If you happen to ground loop it, which is really easy on take off, check for cracks above the side windows by the former the wing pins go into. It is only about 1/4" wide and lite 3 ply so it can break very easily. I nearly lost mine due to this, but thankfully was able to land it without any more damage, and repaired it by cutting 5 ply plywood to fit inside the frame and maple sticks against the former so its nice and secure now. Plane flies great.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM
thebluemax

Just a heads up to all T-Clips owners. If you happen to ground loop it, which is really easy on take off, check for cracks above the side windows by the former the wing pins go into. It is only about 1/4" wide and lite 3 ply so it can break very easily. I nearly lost mine due to this, but thankfully was able to land it without any more damage, and repaired it by cutting 5 ply plywood to fit inside the frame and maple sticks against the former so its nice and secure now. Plane flies great.

that's great to know. thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:43 PM
thebluemax

I finally got mine airborne today. I got 4 good flights on it. Nothing bad to report. I am running a Laser 70 on 15% nitro and the engine was perfect. 9800 on the high end with 1900 on the idle. I needed a click of left aileron and a click of up trim. Ground handling was no problem on take off or landing but I do have a gyro only on the rudder. Which I definitely used it since I heard some of the bad ground handling stories here. On the take off of the third flight as the tail lifted up she flew right off the ground with no up elevator. It was a nice and smooth the roll out and not a jump up surprise. In the air she did rolls and loops like it was on rails. Overall I am happy with today's events. No video of today's flights but maybe the next time out our club camera guy will have his camera with him.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:20 AM
acdii

My one recommendation, from experience, don't let it get too slow, doesn't recover well once that wing drops. Had that happen no mistakes high so now have to rebuild the forward section of the fuse from the firewall back to mid cabin. I ordered some replacement parts, like the windscreen hatch and wing tube, but they are on back order until December, so I shelved it until then.

I got so used to the easy recovery of the Something Extra that I forgot what I was flying and screwed up. The SSE when you get it too slow will drop its nose, but the Clips drops a wing. OOPS. Making up for 2 years of no crashes this year with 3 so far. Two of them were last weekend. My SSE had the elevator servo go out doing a loop, so it was stuck at the full up, but thankfully at low rate. Because it can stall without dropping a wing, I was able to get it down with minor damage, ripped the gear off and broke a wheel pant. It was interesting, all the time I am trying to get it down gracefully I am thinking, hope I dont bust the motor, and not have to walk into the corn to find it, but was able to get it to come down almost in front of me on the runway. My other wreck was due to depth perception. I was flying my big P-47 on its second flight and bringing it in for a landing, and misjudged its distance, it was further out than I thought and closer to the building than it looked and I bounced the right wing off the edge of the roof and it went down quickly. Just damaged the forward fuse a little and ripped the left gear out, but the wing tube got bent and the cowl munched, so it will take a while to repair. Thats one of the drawbacks of the field I fly at, west wind landings have a few obstacles to avoid.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:27 AM
thebluemax

My one recommendation, from experience, don't let it get too slow, doesn't recover well once that wing drops. Had that happen no mistakes high so now have to rebuild the forward section of the fuse from the firewall back to mid cabin. I ordered some replacement parts, like the windscreen hatch and wing tube, but they are on back order until December, so I shelved it until then.

I got so used to the easy recovery of the Something Extra that I forgot what I was flying and screwed up. The SSE when you get it too slow will drop its nose, but the Clips drops a wing. OOPS. Making up for 2 years of no crashes this year with 3 so far. Two of them were last weekend. My SSE had the elevator servo go out doing a loop, so it was stuck at the full up, but thankfully at low rate. Because it can stall without dropping a wing, I was able to get it down with minor damage, ripped the gear off and broke a wheel pant. It was interesting, all the time I am trying to get it down gracefully I am thinking, hope I dont bust the motor, and not have to walk into the corn to find it, but was able to get it to come down almost in front of me on the runway. My other wreck was due to depth perception. I was flying my big P-47 on its second flight and bringing it in for a landing, and misjudged its distance, it was further out than I thought and closer to the building than it looked and I bounced the right wing off the edge of the roof and it went down quickly. Just damaged the forward fuse a little and ripped the left gear out, but the wing tube got bent and the cowl munched, so it will take a while to repair. Thats one of the drawbacks of the field I fly at, west wind landings have a few obstacles to avoid.

thanks for the stall tip. I did do a stall test way up high and saw that it dropped the wing. So I was playing around with that to see how slow it would go.

Bummer on all the crashes this year. I understand about the corn field as my F-117 spent a month in it or so we thought. It was actually in the trees upside down under a junk chassis in the trees, even though we saw it going down in front of the trees the whole time it was going down. The black line in the picture represents the flight path. What is really amazing is it ran out of fuel and was dead stick the entire time on that line. it was fiberglassed and painted. Outside is not too bad. A couple of warped hatches and some sheeting ripped up at the leading edge. Inside is pretty wet, dirty, some black in there plus it smells really musty. A bunch of critters keep coming out everything I shake it. I have sprayed it with bleach just in case the black was mold. The engine and RX are fine. The servos are maybe ok but they will have to go in to be checked out. Of course the battery is dead.

Name:	corn field - found..JPG
Views:	744
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2182660  
Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Bummer!