Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SIG T-Clips 70 Build Thread, IT's Here!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SIG T-Clips 70 Build Thread, IT's Here!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I ran up the Saito tonight, what a sweet engine! It will be a good combo on this plane and I have a feeling it will be a long flyer. I ran it on the first tank, set at WOT at 4000 RPM with a really rich setting, lots of oil all over the plane too. It ran for over an hour on that one tank. I have everything buttoned down now, window glue is drying, then one final balance, I think its nose heavy, I balanced it before running it on the balance rig, but with 2 battery packs, but I ran it on one dual lead 2100 mah Life pack instead, so that is what I mounted. Now that I have it all in place I will need to add some weight in the rear to balance it out. I couldn't safely put the batter all the way back like I had it when I balanced it, I had slid it under the servo tray, but that isnt an option to make it secure.

Anyhow, a note to all who run glow or gas, do yourself a favor and get a half pint of clear butyrate dope when you get this plane and dope all the exposed wood inside the hatch, and the wings before you run your engine, oil WILL get in there! I had some oil seep in between the windshield and wing. I slathered a hefty coat and the wood sucked it up like a sponge.

Two more tanks of fuel through the engine and its maiden flight time!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much weight will you need to add, and where will you place it , to achieve balance ?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM
acdii

The cowl weighs in at 2 ounces, and since I have it off right now and its nose heavy, that would be 2 ounces to offset. I wont know how much will be needed until I get it back in the rig, but looks like I should be able so add some weight under the wing bolt plate, and behind the servos. When I originally balanced it, I had the Life pack slid all the way inside under the servos, and right now it is halfway in there, so that would be the difference in weight.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM
acdii

Wow, I hung it on the Vanessa rig, and it came out with the tail level at 3 1/2". No weight was needed. I may need to add a bit when I fit the cowl on, but that wont be for a while, I want to run the engine through a few tanks and a few flights before I cowl it.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please try and get some video.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM
SIGPlanes

Great build thread and pictures, acdii! We're following your progress with the T-Clips 70. Can't wait to see some maiden flight pictures. Enjoy.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 PM
acdii

Ask and Ye shall receive! Maiden flight today, three flights in so far, need to get a different prop for the Saito, I got a 13x8 instead of 13x7, which is the recommended prop for break in, so next time I fly it might be a little better on take off. It leaps off the ground but not fast enough for the ailerons, and we had a 9 MPH cross wind, which made taking off a challenge. I have video of it too, but not going to post the first one, lets just say, I found out quickly what a cross wind does with this plane when you leave the ground too soon, LOL. Wind got under the left wing and over it went. In the video which is my second attempt you can see the left wing lift again, only this time I had enough speed for the ailerons to be effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PMwIZ10dE&list=UUHE8UwXC4TW4e7Paxm9aXUA
Old 09-07-2014, 12:49 PM
acdii

Well. I don't like this plane.

I Love it!!!!!

It is quickly replacing the LT-40 as my favorite flyer. Other than the draggy wheel pants in the grass, taking off and landing is uneventful, and the flying is just so smooth. Need to work on inverted flight a bit, but did a few knife edges once I figured the amount of aileron to rudder, and the snap rolls are amazingly wicked, I was shocked when I hit the controls and watched it flip all around. The FG-11 is starting to pick up a few RPM now that there is a tank and a half through it, and it starts on one flip after the first run up. Slow speed flight is gentle and smooth, just need to mix in a touch of expo to smooth the controls as you be see a bit of twitch as I touch the stick, just enough to smooth out the inputs. The Saito is a miser, flew 20 minutes and used barely half a tank. One of the guys commented, I didn't think you would ever land. So far I have a half hour air time on it.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:50 PM
acdii

I now have 3 hours flying on this plane and it is still a thrill to fly. Note if you fly off grass, remove the wheel pants, the make taking off a handful due to drag in the grass. Dead stick landings are also a non event, brought it right in nice and smooth. I don't know why, but dead stick landings, except for one, look better than my power on landings. The FG-11 is breaking in nicely and I cam getting good performance out of it, I have it dialed in just right now. DId a bunch of touch and goes with a cross wind, some low level passes, one 1 foot off the ground. It lands as easy as my LT-40 but can do things the 40 can't. Great plane, and so far after 3 hours, nothing looks to be out of place, covering had very few wrinkles after sitting in the sun for hours on end, and they all cleaned up nice. On mine I left the canopy removable so I can fill the tank, and have the switches inside, and it stays in place.

I have had a few ARF, and this has to be one of the best in build, flight, and ease of install. I also like the size of it, with the 2 piece wing, and short fuse, it will even fit in my car. None of my other planes will fit.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM
AK-DMK

Mine came in the mail today! I have a Saito FA-72 going in it, should be about the same size as your Fg-11. Any lesson's learned not already covered before I get started tonight? I'm a novice but the build looks pretty simple. How did you cut your cowl? Any cooling concerns after you put it on? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

April issue of the AMA magazine has an article on the T - Clips 70
Old 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by AK-DMK
Mine came in the mail today! I have a Saito FA-72 going in it, should be about the same size as your Fg-11. Any lesson's learned not already covered before I get started tonight? I'm a novice but the build looks pretty simple. How did you cut your cowl? Any cooling concerns after you put it on? Thanks!
The FG-11 is based on the 60 sized saito, so the 72 should have a bit more power and fly it quite well. , I used a dremel with a diamond wheel cutter, and drum sander to open the cowl. I haven't had any cooling issues so far, but I baffled the cowl too, so make sure you baffle it too. Just keep in mind the exit needs to be much larger than the entrance for airflow, so if inverted, open it up a lot behind the head and you should be good.

If anything for this plane, I would like to put a heading hold gyro in it for taking off, it is very touchy on the rudder and makes for a handful taking off in grass. It will leave the ground before it is ready to fly so keep it on the mains as long as you can so you dont cartwheel it like I did a few times.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM
AK-DMK

so your FG-11 fits fully inside the cowl and all you have to do is baffle it??? or did you baffle it along the sides and cut the bottom to clear the head? The FA-72 will require cutting a large chunk out of the bottom of the cowl (engine mounted inverted) the head will be visible below the cowl, should be a nice install though. Can you post a pic of yours?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 PM
acdii

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10363428_802503483125121_1851059743293204736_o.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	2084185  
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM
AK-DMK

Got the FA-72 mounted...LOVE the look and sound. Got it to balance w/o adding weight by putting the battery 1/2 way to the rudder. Had to enlist my son's smaller arms... Flew it for a minute the other night but it was too windy..I know, I should have waited. Can't wait for the wind to die down next week so I can see how this thing really flies.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2085942  
Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM
AK-DMK

I'm not a fan of wheel pants, so they had to go...it's just my preference. 4" Sullivan aluminum wheels...Much better!

Name:	Tclips Wheels.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2085946  
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36 PM
acdii

Awesome. Thats the same thing I did to balance mine, except I cut out the bottom covering so I could glue in a mount to strap the pack to. I got some H9 covering to match and then sealed the opening. My FG-11, though smaller, once the module is added probably weighs in the same as your FA-72, so perfect match. What prop are you running? I put an APC on mine, but dont remember the diameter or pitch. Can't wait until June to see how many show up at the fly in.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 PM
AK-DMK

I'm running a Master Airscrew S-2 in 14x6...Lots of torque but not too much speed. The plane doesn't need speed. Here's a pic with the wing on and the new wheels. I think they're a nice fit.

Name:	Wheels 2.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2085954  
Old 04-02-2015, 06:50 PM
AK-DMK

I'll be in Alabama for a class in June but would love to make the Sig fly in some time. I fly a Rascal 110 too.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
acdii

Grab an APC of the same size when you get a chance, Saitos like the APC much better than the MA props. I like the AP and MA props, but the saitos I have run much better with the APC, while the Magnums like the MA. Just make sure you sand the edges on the APC, they are sharp! I also removed the pants, and thinking of upsizing the wheels too, it may track better when taking off with larger wheels.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Sportflyr
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info.You and Sig have done an exceptional job. Great HW included with this too. Looks like a good use for an OS .61.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:13 PM
acdii

61 is the perfect size, the FG-11 is based on the Saito FA-61, so the OS should pull it around wickedly fun. Just dont try to compete with me for endurance, I got the the OS beat by at least 40 minutes! LOL

Was going to fly today as the winds by my house were light, but the temps rose quickly this morning so by the time I got to the field they were building out of the southwest, and the first flight of the T-Clips this year would be from my bad side, so I decided not to risk it. By 1PM they were strong. 25+ MPH steady.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready to build my T-Clips 70 and trying to decide on an engine. I have an O S 70 4 stroke and an HP 61 available. Which one should I use. Also I have never mounted an engine inverted. Is there anything I need to pay attention to to get the engine to run correctly. Thank you. Todd
Old 05-15-2015, 06:18 PM
acdii

Not familiar with the HP, but the OS 70 will fly it just fine. As for inverted, just make sure the tank is even with the spray bar in the carb, and you might want to consider a remote glow setup so you dont have to reach under the cowl to remove the glow starter with the engine running.

With the inverted engine the carb will be sitting lower than when upright, so you may need to lower the tank floor. On this plane, you might want to put the engine horizontal if you dont want to do any carving up the tank floor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.