Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread

I was going to originally opt for another plane for my Birthday gift but changed my mind to this.
Does anyone have this yet?
Mine came in today as my gift, wifey doesnt know I know it came.
lol
I got the orange one. I like the fact that its made for the DLE 20 comes with pin style hinges and ball link hardware, the stab is also a bolt on. It has rubber wheels aluminum hubs and a carbon fiber spinner.looks very light too.
I'll post pixs and start my build when I actually open it.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...42-20-2AF.html

Last edited by Bcolici; 09-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks vary similar to my 30cc Fly-Models ARF, but you get more upgrades than I did. 20cc eh? NICE SELECTION!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	777.1 KB
ID:	2030316  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Bcolici

It does look very similar. They have a 30cc version as well. This is my first gasser and decided on the 20cc class.
Oh and it has cf lg too.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 PM
tailskid

Only carbon I have is the wing tube but the instructions indicate I'm also supposed to have a CF spinner (yeah right)....I 'used' to fly a 20cc Pulse 125 and I love the 20 cc sized planes. Keep us posted on your assembly. I just found out I goofed when mounting my engine as it was too far to the right of the centerline, so I have to remount the engine (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). I see you have two centerlines - mine didn't
Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Bcolici

I believe the stab tube and tailwheel are suppose to be cf too.
I hate it when I screw something up on a new plane. Good thing im crafty. Lol
Some dowels and epoxy or wood glue should fill in the holes nicely.
Will update as I make progress.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
tailskid

The video indicated a CF tail wheel and a CF stab joiner!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Bcolici

Oops,Dbl post.

Last edited by Bcolici; 09-08-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Bcolici

Anybody else with an interest in one??
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 AM
ameyam

Its the same as the 20cc Sbach from GW / ARFMFG

Nice airplane but designed more for a heavier 26cc engine. Too bad reliable 26cc engines are not too common. Too heavy with a 30cc.

The v2 version comes with nylon pinned hinges instead of Robart style ones. I never used the original Robart type hinges, I used real Robart hinges and I am not too much of a fan of pinned hinges. Not sure whether the V2 version has enough wood for the Robar hinges

Ameyam
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM
tailskid

how many hinges on each elevator half? Mine had 4 per half and replaced them with Robarts # 310.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Bcolici

Originally Posted by ameyam
Its the same as the 20cc Sbach from GW / ARFMFG

Nice airplane but designed more for a heavier 26cc engine. Too bad reliable 26cc engines are not too common. Too heavy with a 30cc.

The v2 version comes with nylon pinned hinges instead of Robart style ones. I never used the original Robart type hinges, I used real Robart hinges and I am not too much of a fan of pinned hinges. Not sure whether the V2 version has enough wood for the Robar hinges

Ameyam
How are you sure its the same?
Regarding the hinges you say original robart type, do you mean original to the kit but copies of real robarts.Originals means real!!
Why did you change them out, are they not made well?
Referenceing the 26cc is better suited for this aircraft cause its heavier, is this for balanci g purposes or for the extra cc's??
I'm pretty sure the DLE20 RA will pull this around nicely.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Bcolici

Tailskid,
I couldnt tell you yet how many hinges there are, I havent opened the box yet.
Perhaps Ameyam could answer.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 PM
ameyam

A couple of years back, I and a buddy bought 2 Nos of the V1 20CC Sbachs that came out from ARFMFG. ARFMFG, GW, Aeroplus whatever are from the same fab. TBM has been selling these in the US for some time now. The manufacturer used to also make stuff for Redwing but they say they have moved on. When we bought them, the manufacturer was pretty much an unknown quantity. Moving on...

The V1s we ordered were great fliers. My buddy's went into the air immediately whereas mine had to wait while I sorted out my slip disc for a year. Later I built mine as well. My buddy went for a 120ax on his. He built everything stock but reinforced with 2mm balsa sheeting and added quite a bit of nose weight to get the CG. When I was putting mine together, I built nothing stock, even changing the pushrods out. I started with a dle20 but it was several inches tail heavy even with everything in front. Not wanting to put in dead weight, I decided to build it for a Dle 30. It was too heavy for 3D partly because I sheeted with 1/16 birch (my mistake) but also from the sheer engine nose weight. It flew well though but I never persisted and sold it on

With regards to the hinges, the V1 had white colour robart style hinges. Chinese copies of the original stuff. My buddy used them and after about 7-8 months a couple came off in flight and torque rolled on its own. Subsequently, he recovered, then deadsticked in hover in the same flight and damaged both airplane and engine. When I built mine, I used original Robart hinges for good measure, I think there are 4 in the aileron and three in the elevator.

The V2 version thats available now doesnt have Robart hinges but flat pinned hinges. The V2 can be most easily distinguished from the V1 in that the wings have removable SFGs. I wrote to the manufacturer in both the forum as well as email several times asking whether there was sufficient wood to take robart hinges but got no response. Have been sitting on the fence with buying the V2 airplane for quite some time, mostly because I am not much of a fan of pinned hinges. Plus I would like to see plug in tailplanes instead of glued in ones as they build better. Thats a different story though...

These airplanes are built for a heavier engine than the dle 20cc. Thats why they are advertised as 20-26cc. Of course, you can always build 20cc and have the battery on the firewall. I want too much of a fan of that. No doubt they will benefit from the larger displacement. But chinese 26cc engines are almost as heavy as the 30cc US ones. I had found a Turnigy 26HP which was right in the middle - about 850-900g. Would have been best suited for this airplane if I had held on to it. Too bad that engine also hasnt been too reliable.

Oh, by the way, the airplane has a CF wing tube but everything else is metal. Its not a bad thing at all. The several times my buddy hard landed, the LG spread out and too the energy of the landing, so didnt damage the airplane. After he was done, he donated the LG to engineering college under-graduates and last I heard the gear is still holding up to a lot of abuse. He did change the TG to a Sullivan set after the OEM stuff fell away

The airplane is a good flier. So let us know your experience with it

Ameyam

Last edited by ameyam; 09-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Bcolici

Thanks for clarifying.
If you listen to Gene in the video he states that" they got tired of bringing in other peoples stuff and having problems with it so they brought in their own" and that its made specifically for the 20cc. This arf looks like it slightly differs from the ones you mentioned, more than likely made at the same factory.
So is TBM having this plane made for them or its being re branded?
Who knows!
I just cant wait to open the box. Lol
Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
ameyam

Just shared my experience. There is a trend recently with a number of companies getting their batches specifically customised. I believe thats what Redwing is also doing.

Open the box and share your experience please. May be it will "motivate" me to buy that V2 SBach

Ameyam
Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Bcolici

Will do. Thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Bcolici

Being that this is my first gasser I need some suggestions for battery or batteries. It will be running 6 hv 8.4v servos. I want to go with either lipo or life chemistry 2s. Im not sure what capacity I would need going either one or two battery setup. Im looking to get 5 flights before I have to recharge. I like the k.i.s.s. way. Lol
T.I.A.

Last edited by Bcolici; 09-18-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
N83MC

I am just finishing mine and would like to know if anyone knows a good dimension for CG location?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 AM
ameyam

Originally Posted by Bcolici
Being that this is my first gasser I need some suggestions for battery or batteries. It will be running 6 hv 8.4v servos. I want to go with either lipo or life chemistry 2s. Im not sure what capacity I would need going either one or two battery setup. Im looking to get 5 flights before I have to recharge. I like the k.i.s.s. way. Lol
T.I.A.
LiFe is a safe bet. A lot of people will suggest to go for HK ones but I would actually suggest to go for Tower's LiFe. I found that the 1100-1800mAh batteries were too low a capacity and the 3200mAh was too expensive + heavy. I suggest the 2100mAh ones, that's what I use and they are quite resilient.. Just remember, they have a sharp drop-off current at the end, so don't test the limits of their capacity. For the ignition, have a couple of diodes and reduce the voltage to 5.2v or so. Though the ignitions will take the 6.6V fully charged voltage, we had a number of issues where DLEs refused to fire up after one flight until we connected a NiMh.

Ameyam
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM
N83MC

Bucolic I not sure if you had seen my post yet but I am curious if you have any information as to where to start with the CG location. I just finished mine but the manual I got with the plane shows a 30 cc Sbach and leaves a lot to be be desired.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Bcolici

Ok this is the 3rd time trying to reply!

Thanks for the battery suggestions.
Should 2 power switches be installed for less of a chance of rf noise or is the all in like those from miracle or six star ok?opti kill is a must of course.
Anyone is welcome to suggestions, let just not turn it I to a debate here.

N83mc doesnt the manual recommend a cg starting point?
Can you post some pictures of your plane and setup?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Bcolici

Sorry i just read your post.
I havent even open3d mine yet, should be this weekend .
Theres a build on the gw 20cc which is similar if not the same plane.
I would think it should be about the same.

Last edited by Bcolici; 09-24-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Bcolici

Ameyam are you on F.G. forums?

That person there suggested 1.5 inches for cg.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:01 AM
ameyam

Yes, I am on the FG forum as well

The GW 20CC is the one I was talking about in #13

Ameyam
Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Bcolici

While waiting till I get to open the box I've been doing lots of thinking on how I'm going to set this up with my Futaba T7C . I'm not sure if its going to use 2 elevator servos. I may have to use one battery to power all with a tech aero ibec.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.