Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Chipmunk Cowling Problem

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Chipmunk Cowling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
hlallen867
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipmunk Cowling Problem

Does anyone have any suggestions for installing a painted fibeglass cowling? I am about to try installing my second one for a Jamara Chipmunk and the last time I butchered it up because I can't see the mounting blocks. Is there some little secret that I haven't discovered or am I just doomed to keep messing these things up until I get lucky? For those who are unfamiliar with this model it's a Fibergalss Fuselage with plywood only at the firewall so you have to glue these little wood blocks to the front of the firewall and then guess where they are under the cowling and drill the holes.

Thanks for any insight
Old 09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chipmunk Cowling Problem

Here goes:

Install the blocks on the firewall. Put a piece of masking tape about 6" long from the block rearwards. Using a ruler draw a straight line right on the tape, from the center of the block back a certain length, say 5" and mark the tape with an X. Do this for all the blocks.

Put the cowl in place, aligning it to the crankshaft, etc. Tape the cowl in place. Use your ruler to measure along the line you drew on each piece of tape that certain amount (5", for example) forward to the blocks. The end of your ruler should be at the center of the mounting block.

Drill pilot holes and mount your cowl using whatever method you chose
Old 09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
hlallen867
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chipmunk Cowling Problem

Thanks for the info I knew it would be a simple answer I will try that when I get home tonight!!