Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Servo Size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Servo Size

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Guitarman52
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Size

I purchased a Fly Model 30CC Sbach. I calls for minimum 180 oz. servos. I don't fly 3D. I have some futaba S-3152 servos which are digital and metal gear, but not that much torque. Would they be ok for that plane? Also, I have two servos that are digital 200 oz. torque. Should I put them on the elevator, need two for it, or the aelerons. Your opinions please....
Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Quite the dilemma, your Futaba servos mentioned are not going to cut it. You could use the pair of 200 oz servos on the ailerons and then get some servos of the correct power fro the rest. Or use one of the 200 oz servos on the rudder as it takes more then the other surfaces and get 4 servos of around 130 oz that would work. Savox is about the best bang for the dollar these days IMO. Their 1258 servo has worked really well for me in the past.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman52
I purchased a Fly Model 30CC Sbach. I calls for minimum 180 oz. servos. I don't fly 3D. I have some futaba S-3152 servos which are digital and metal gear, but not that much torque. Would they be ok for that plane? Also, I have two servos that are digital 200 oz. torque. Should I put them on the elevator, need two for it, or the aelerons. Your opinions please....
I'm not sure where this idea that flying 3D is a torque issue for the servos???? Speed yes, total torque not likely.

Think about it; 3D means that the model is not flying "on the wing" but being suspended by the engine's power and prop wash at a high angle of attack. The real load on servos comes from precision aerobatics. IMAC stuff puts a LOT more load on the servos than 3D.

That said; I usually go 50% more torque than recommended by the model manufacturer and when you get to a certain size, it's better to go bigger still as they can be used in later models that may be bigger.

Just a thought....
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Guitarman52
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Zeeb. I never thought of it that way. So I guess you are saying to buy a couple more higher torque servos for that plane.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:00 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'm not sure where this idea that flying 3D is a torque issue for the servos???? Speed yes, total torque not likely.

Think about it; 3D means that the model is not flying "on the wing" but being suspended by the engine's power and prop wash at a high angle of attack. The real load on servos comes from precision aerobatics. IMAC stuff puts a LOT more load on the servos than 3D.

That said; I usually go 50% more torque than recommended by the model manufacturer and when you get to a certain size, it's better to go bigger still as they can be used in later models that may be bigger.

Just a thought....
Zeeb, usually you and I are on the same page, what happened? LOL. I agree that IMAC flying puts more stresses on an airplane then what most guys realize but I think 3D places even more. Yes the maneuvers are flown at a slower airspeed but they are using much more surface deflection. The holding power required to hold a surface at 15 degrees at 60 mph is much less then holding the same surface at 50 degrees at 20 mph. 80% of all servo, linkage, flutter related failures I have witnesses had been when the airplane was being flown in 3D mode. I agree that going overkill on servos has its advantages but when on a budget its not nesessary. For a couple years I flew unlimited with a 55cc powered 1/3 scale Laser. All servos were Savox 1258s and that was with a single servo on elevator as the elevator was on pull pull. IMO any quality 150 oz servo would work just fine on a 30cc airplane with the exception of rudder, I would go 180-200 oz there.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmmm.... the only cases of flutter that I've observed have been during standard aerobatics.... lol

For the OP; speedracer is right but consider this and it's where I kind of came to the realization that buying just what you need might not be the best way. I was buying servos for a 33% Extra with a 100cc twin on the nose. The model had dual aileron servos, two elevator, one rudder, choke and a throttle. I was into Hitecs at the time for several reasons but suffice to say that the Hitec 7985 would have done the job and that servo was $85.00 each at that time. The next step up was a servo with almost twice the torque and IIRC it was even faster; the Hitec 7955 and it was $95.00 each and could be used on almost any model you cared to pick (no tiny stuff of course....). See what I mean about looking ahead? Now if I had bought the 7985's, sold or crunched the model and the next one needed the 7955's. well I'd be out a chunk of money even after selling the used servos for who knows what they'll bring?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:13 AM
speedracerntrixie

Good points, I did not consider buying servos what would allow expansion into larger airplanes.