Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What happened to Hanger 9?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What happened to Hanger 9?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to Hanger 9?

I've been away from the hobby for about 5 years and I've noticed that hanger 9 makes almost no smaller (.40-.90 sized) 3D aerobatic aircraft like the funtana series or showtime 4d, what they do have is insanely expensive, I still have a brand new in the box Funtana 100x but if I ever crash it I guess that's it. Sad to see, they were my favorite brand for ARF's
Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any product line is market driven. ARFs in your desired size and power range may not meet their sales goals.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it might have something to do with getting replacement parts. Generally they're available for Horizon's planes. They may be struggling finding somebody to build for them that will also supply parts. Just a guess...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM
JohnB96041

I love my Funtanas. I have the S90, 100x, and 2 of the 125's. All still flying. Don't know what I will pick if any are destroyed. Not much to choose from these days. That Sucks.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
I've been away from the hobby for about 5 years and I've noticed that hanger 9 makes almost no smaller (.40-.90 sized) 3D aerobatic aircraft like the funtana series or showtime 4d, what they do have is insanely expensive, I still have a brand new in the box Funtana 100x but if I ever crash it I guess that's it. Sad to see, they were my favorite brand for ARF's
Smaller Companies have captured that market share,,,, 3DHS (3D hobby shop), Aeroworks. Extreme Flight to name a few. All make a quality products
Old 01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
ira d

I think higher cost in China to have to have kits built is a big factor on why we see the selections of kits drying up. I think the days when arf's were being
built for thirty dollars and sold here for three hundred dollars are gone IMO.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Times have changed to where bigger is better.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After having Hangar 9's Christen Eagle II, I will be greatly surprised if they survive at all. Quality really, well you know to put it bluntly.......... SUCKED !!

Last edited by Granpooba; 01-09-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have their new Valiant and it is still quality except for hardware, but I hardly use stock hardware anyway.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by ira d
I think higher cost in China to have to have kits built is a big factor on why we see the selections of kits drying up. I think the days when arf's were being
built for thirty dollars and sold here for three hundred dollars are gone IMO.
What's wrong with having an ARF built in China for $200 and selling for $300. Oh fair profit margin days are gone. ex. Tower Dirty Birdy ARF No Retracts $300.00
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the Funtana 100X. I love that plane to just fly around with and have fun. Yep, I picked up a new in the box last year at a auction. Just keep your eyes open.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
What's wrong with having an ARF built in China for $200 and selling for $300. Oh fair profit margin days are gone. ex. Tower Dirty Birdy ARF No Retracts $300.00
My question would be, what is wrong with reviving what would be best for the hobby and that would be, " KIT " building ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now I remember, most of todays hobbyists because of ARF's, don't know how to build !
Old 01-10-2015, 07:27 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Granpooba
My question would be, what is wrong with reviving what would be best for the hobby and that would be, " KIT " building ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now I remember, most of todays hobbyists because of ARF's, don't know how to build !
When referring to an ARF, instead of a Plug n Play, I've heard them called "Builder's Kits". LOL
Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Hangar-9 used to really dominate the market. A few years ago, I noticed 90% of the planes on the flight line were H9 one day.

They have had great planes over the years and many have disappeared. But, I just noticed they have a new sailplane on their website. It is 1000 bucks but hopefully a sign of more things to come. The Twist 60 came back and hope the Pulse 120 does too.

When Horizon was sold a year or two ago, it seemed like many of the brands were disappearing. But E-Flite and Parkzone are back to cranking out new products and hopefully, HH will get H9 back in gear again too.

bob
Old 01-10-2015, 08:32 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Three things have contributed to increase in ARFs prices.

#1-Decrease value of the US dollar
#2-Committment to purchase a forty foot shipping container.
#3-Unskilled labor market in China
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by flycatch

#1 look in your news paper the USD is stronger than it has been in years compared to most world currencies Price increases are do to all the large hobby companies
are corporate owned and profit is there #1 priority
#2 companies do not want to stock anything if they can avoid it
#3 ???? what does this have to do with the price of ARF's

Grandpopa: I have been building kits for 60 years if I can buy an ARF of a kit why bother I have nothing to prove to anyone I plans build or kit build (mostly older ones if an ARF is not available) The cost of a kit and accessories (covering,wheels,tank,etc.) to complete are more than an ARF. Like you said most people today don't know how to build I'm not one of them but I do buy ARF's because they are cheaper.

Last edited by toolmaker7341; 01-10-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 AM
flycatch

#1 look in your news paper the USD is stronger than it has been in years compared to most world currencies Price increases are do to all the large hobby companies

Grandpopa: I have been building kits for 60 years if I can buy an ARF of a kit why bother I have nothing to prove to anyone I plans build or kit build (mostly older ones if an ARF is not available) The cost of a kit and accessories (covering,wheels,tank,etc.) to complete are more than an ARF. Like you said most people today don't know how to build I'm not one of them but I do buy ARF's because they are cheaper.
Seems like you have all the answers to counter my reply.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 AM
bikerbc

I think Hanger 9 made a mistake by discontinuing too many of their popular planes too fast . Ones like the Saratoga and Pulse line should have been kept available. Many others too .Customer services is very important , you need to keep your customers happy . Their 1/4 Scale floats are not very well made yet they continue to produce them with no updates . They look great but they leak and if you aren't careful they will mold from the inside and fall apart . The customers should be warned . I think the smaller floats have the same problems .. I know the ones I had on my Saratoga were next to useless untill I striped the covering off them and glassed them . They are good about replacing stuff but that is time consuming and expensive .. Why not do it rite the first time.. I think their quality control needs a kick in the ass .. Some stuff is fantastic like their PA18 but then their interior kit or the float kit get many negative comments .The guys love how the floats look but arent happy about how they fit together and how they leak . I would say there is a big differance between the quality of the PA18 Kit and the 1/4 Scale Floats . Also the interior kit has no instrucions so you need to figur it out on your own .. Easy enough to do but still .Its fragile as egg shell .
Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 AM
TomCrump

I worked for a company that bought up others. They took what sold well and continued production. Anything that didn't meet their sales criteria was dropped.

I assume that the size model that the OP desires, doesn't meet Horizon's projected sales numbers, which is basically what I said in post #2.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:47 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
True enough, and most of yesterdays kit builders were not very good flyers. I'm with you on the enjoyment of a good build, but it's at the expense of flying hours and flying proficiency. Its good to have a choice and find a balance...everyone's situation is a little different...if I had the choice years ago when I started...I don't think I would have picked the balsa dust and crappy first time covering job route. I think most people are just looking for some success...and as I recall, you almost needed a checklist to bring all the stuff along that was required to just get the engine started...now they just learn on a simulator and take their arf to the field, arm their battery and fly...with much better results and a greater chance of staying interested in the hobby...I can't tell you how many "new" pilots I have seen show up to the field with 3 or 4 months worth of effort on the bench and smack it into a puff of balsa dust in about 30 seconds. You can bet most of them didn't rush back to build another..."gee Dad...this is fun, lets get another one!" Ahhhhhhhhh...no.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:13 PM
ira d

Are you saying the importer has to purchase their own shipping container to transport the kits? Or they just have to purchase a container full at one time.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 PM
flycatch

Originally Posted by ira d
Are you saying the importer has to purchase their own shipping container to transport the kits? Or they just have to purchase a container full at one time.
The lather and at one time it was a thirty foot container.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 PM
ameyam

Hi,

I am looking for any online retailer that has a Funta 125 fuselage. All my searches seem to be empty. Since I live in India, I would need to have it couriered. Anyone know where I can get one?

Ameyam
Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Granpooba

DUH !! I think that you have left out #4 and most likely the reason for the largest increase in ARF prices.

#4 should actually be #1 and that would be the increase in " BALSA WOOD PRICES " ! A lot of companies these days are using more balsa wood that ever before in past years. One example and it is a huge one, are the blades for " Wind Generators ". Manufacturers of wind generator blades use an enormous amount of balsa wood. They probably use more balsa wood in one blade than most hobbyists use in a lifetime of model building. Do some research and you will find what I am talking about. They are absolutely driving UP the price of balsa wood and all balsa wood related products.

Last edited by Granpooba; 01-11-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Granpooba

Because ARF's are cheaper ? Or, is it that you are just cheap ???
Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I crack myself up !!!
LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.