Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes new Escapade for DLE 30cc?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes new Escapade for DLE 30cc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 PM
vicrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, i have the same adapter, on my dle 35. The cowl is just long enough to cover it. I have 3/32 gap between the cowl and spinner back plate.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Well just got the big brown box today. All is well with the packaging. The pilot WAS LOOSE but I would have removed him anyway. Looks like the OS 33 will fit by eyeballing????????
Was pleased with the nice spinner.............and good looks overall!
Now to gather the fixins...........
Old 04-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pilot was loose as well. I prefer to hold the pilot in with silicon. My assembly is moving right along and hope to be done by the end of the weekend.

Last edited by Super08; 04-18-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM
flyhighjoe

Hey Gizmo..........glad you got it from what i read they are they putting the dle 35ra in it. I hope the os 33 fits in it ok if that is the motor you go with.Good luck with the build and keep me posted on how it goes. Happy flying flyhighjoe.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:08 PM
jet22b

Hey Guys;
I did take my Escape to the field today but did not get to maiden her. The DLE 35RA wouldn't stay running! The engine only have about 30 min total run time on it. I did do the taxi test and it was very smooth on the ground!! I did about three taxi up and down the runway and was ready to do the maiden flight, but the engine just stop. I restart the engine and move the stick for takeoff power, she would stop. Tomorrow the club engine guru will be at the field and I will let him look at it. One thing I can say, she will turn heads at the field!! So stay tune for the flight report
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 PM
vicrider

Doesn't the os gt33 mounts have the same dimensions as the dle 30 ? I don't have the manual in front of me but I think it shows that.

I flew mine again today. I seem to have my low rpm issue solved, which Im happy about cause I got to find out how far you can slow this thing down. It slows way down and just floats right in. The last time I let it come in to slow and dropped it right on to the runway breaking the prop. Oh well.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:38 PM
jet22b

Gizmo;
Welcome to the thread!! My pilot head was also loose when I receive my ARF.
Did the same thing that Super08 did. Also make sure you use thread-lock and put foam around the tank. I found out after I return from the field today, that my muffler bolts was loose.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by vicrider
Doesn't the os gt33 mounts have the same dimensions as the dle 30 ? I don't have the manual in front of me but I think it shows that.

I flew mine again today. I seem to have my low rpm issue solved, which Im happy about cause I got to find out how far you can slow this thing down. It slows way down and just floats right in. The last time I let it come in to slow and dropped it right on to the runway breaking the prop. Oh well.
Were you using flaps? I'm undecided if I want to cut the ailerons just to have them. I prefer a spirited roll rate to all my planes and I don't know if shortening the ailerons for the flap function will lessen the roll rate of the plane. I'm guessing the plane will slow down very well without the flap function.

Mike

Last edited by Indiomike; 04-19-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Super08

I'll post a little video of how mine work tomorrow night. Basically I have full span ailerons and then with the flick of a switch it changes to outer ailerons only and inner flaps.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Indiomike

Super08, let me know the difference in roll rate between full ailerons and just outer ailerons.
Thanks

Mike
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
vicrider

Originally Posted by Indiomike
Were you using flaps? I'm undecided if I want to cut the ailerons just to have them. I prefer a spirited roll rate to all my planes and I don't know if shortening the ailerons for the flap function will lessen the roll rate of the plane. I'm guessing the plane will slow done very well without the flap function.

Mike
I have used it with and with out. The differance is small. The plane definitely doesn't need them.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:46 AM
Super08

Originally Posted by Indiomike
Super08, let me know the difference in roll rate between full ailerons and just outer ailerons.
Thanks

Mike
Sure can do, it will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to fly mine. I know on the Giant Stick the difference was huge but that is a different wing. The flaps on the Escapade are much smaller.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Really not sure the OS 33 is going to work out without a lot of cutting. The header is on the short side of the firewaii and the bolts stick out enough to possibly a problem????? (almost certain)
Valleyview RC has a sale going on and with no shipping, tax and the lower price the DLE 35 is looking good? I have a Valleyview 20 cc now and really like how they treat their customers. Going to play with the OS a little more.......
Wish I could color the canopy dark but seems like more problem than it's worth.
Super08---------had a GBS w/flaps, total waste of time and servos and I think this will be a similar situation.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Super08

The guys that have finished theirs with a DLE35 how did the balance come out? Did you use a choke servo or manual choke? I am trying to decide on using a choke servo or not depending on how they have been balancing.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
vicrider

Im using a manual choke on mine with the pushrod coming out the bottom. I had mine balanced at the forward part of its range ( which means I cant tell you exactly where it was) with out adding any weight for the first flights. I have since put it on a great planes cg machine and balanced it at 4 3/4 inch from the leading edge, It took 1 3/4 oz in the tail to get it there. That little bit of weight made a difference in that the plane is noticeably more responsive, not a lot but noticeable. I like it better at its current location.

Last edited by vicrider; 04-19-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 AM
vicrider

I think telling you where some things I have placed might help. I have the ignition box and 1600 nimh battery right behind the firewall. I have 2 1300 nimh batterys for the rx just in front of the wing tube. Every thing else is where its supposed to be.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:29 AM
steph69

I like the look and the size of this plane, i think it will be my next purchase, with the DLE35. I especially like the covering seems to stand out which I like, would love to see some more pictures though guys
Thanks steph.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Super08

Thanks Vic rider. I will have a heavier 3000 mah Rx battery mounted beside the Rx in the servo bay and a 6 volt 2000 mah in front of the tank. I will try it will a choke servo and see where it comes out as a choke servo also doubles as an engine kill. If it is nose heavy I will just take it out and use an electronic engine kill switch instead and a manual choke. I also have an IBEC I can use to remove even more weight off the nose if required.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:09 PM
vicrider

Super08, I just looked at what I posted and realized I did not say where I put that weight, which was in the tail. Looks like you knew that though.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM
tzlaser
My Feedback: (-2)

This plane calls for 30 to 35 cc displacement gasser. Have one and am using Moki 2.10 with Pitts muffler to power it. Hope it can handle the stump pulling Moki. Tower Hobby video shows its a good all around sport/ aerobatic flyer.

Tom Zink
SRQ Flyer, Sarasota, FL
Old 04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Super08

Originally Posted by vicrider
Super08, I just looked at what I posted and realized I did not say where I put that weight, which was in the tail. Looks like you knew that though.
Yes, I was also thinking of adding flying wires on the tail so that will add a bit of weight at the back as well.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:19 PM
jet22b

Hey Guys;
I did get to maiden my Escape today!!! One thing I must say, it is a joy to fly!!! After a few clicks of trim, she flew hand off. My CG came in at 5 1/8' with no added weight, plus I went with the onboard choke servo.
My setup, I went with flaps and ailerons. All control was set per manual. The roll rate on the aileron in low rates, to me, is just like the roll rate on the Giant Big Stick. On high rate, it is a little bit better but not by much. I think is you play with the throws setting, you may get the spin rate you are looking for. I total agree with the other pilots who have flown this bird. The use of flaps is not need it. The plane will slow down real nice for a very slow landing without them. The stall on this bird is so smooth and sweet. As you run out of up elevator, she just drop the nose, but did not show any sign of tucking a wing. Invert flying, you do need to hold some down elevator to hold level flight. Rudder turns are sweet!! Time for landing, I had a 45 deg crosswind and with a little rudder to hold her down the runway, the touchdown was on the mains was smooth.
Over all, the plane is a joy to fly and look good in the air!! I am very happy with her and the DLE 35RA look like a good match for this plane.
Now I must stay off of Tower website, because I will buy one more!!!!! lol
Sonny
aka
jet22b

FYI: If you run a vent line from the tank, make sure you loop the line around the top of the tank before you run the line out the side or the bottom of the fuse. This is to keep you from loosing fuel when you till the nose down.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:00 PM
vicrider

Congrats Sonny, glad it went good for you, sounds like you had fun with it. I agree about tha stall, the controls get all mush and it just drops its nose a little and keeps going.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Super08

Congrats

I just finished putting on the cowl. I see what everyone was saying about it being too short on the one side. I had to go with more spinner gap than I usually use to have enough meat left behind the screws on the one side of the cowl. I don't like holes too close to the edge. I hope my battery arrives in the next day or so. I will have to just put some weight where the battery goes to check the balance. The battery weight is on the web site. I used a Secraft mount for my ignition module and put it on the under side of the forward tray. I also cut a hole on the bottom for the pug lead to go to the engine. Here are a couple of pics. I am just having a break for a bit and then I am heading back down to put on the flying wires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2090320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2090321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2090322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2090323  
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Indiomike

Very nice. I'm going without the flaps, at least for the time being.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.