Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Bucker Jungmeister Just Shipped!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Bucker Jungmeister Just Shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the moment I'm targeting Thursday of Friday of next week for a maiden. Being the white is UltraCote (Oracover), or in the case of the Alex Papana version Tan, the sheen is a little less than what MonoKote would be.

FB
Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Bullseye52
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, sorry to have been absent for so long! Work has been a bear and getting home late doesn't add to wanting to work on anything but sleep! Also took a 5 day trip to the in-laws and they live in the boonies! Couple of more observations. The dummy radial is "crappy" chucked it and ordered one from Tower. Also as you can plainly see the fuse interior is a great candidate for electric, soooooo. I bought a Turnigy G110 and one of their Sentilon 100 HV ESC's. Will be running two 4S 4500 30c's in series. I've run these Turnigy motors before and they are very good in my book. However, I am not an "E-Geek" so I don't know much about the technical aspects of electrics. Just buy what is supposed to be the glow/gas equivalents and run with it. Got a couple of very nice "Fiala" 18x6 props and my batteries are from HK "Zippy Compacts". Not going to use the wheel spats either as Bevo's plane did not have them. Also, thought about the turtle deck but I think bashing the plane would be a lot of work to get that done. Will also be doing the flying wires using #12 leader snap and fly line leader eyelets as hardpoints.
Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 AM
Free Bird

Was just looking at pictures of Bevo's full-scale Bucker, and I have to complement Seagull for bringing such a great looking model to market. However, there a few things that would make the model a real standout. The most obvious is the headrest, or rather the lack of. To change the turtledeck, I think would require too much work as I think it's too high and would require some reshaping of the formers to lower them before adding a headrest. What do you guys think?

FB
Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Bullseye52

Yep, I agree. The modification would take a bit of work. I am moving the red striping so it sits a little higher. There's another Bucker that looks sorta like Bevo's but has the contour of the models turtledeck. The striping came off easily and I will use it as a pattern to cut new ultra-cote ones. May also pull the red squares off the bottom of the wing and re-do them, as they are they are way too small. This stuff is not ultra-cote but some kind of adhesive backed tape like stuff. Dummy engine came in today from Tower, it's gonna work just fine. The one in the kit looks like Ka-Ka!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Free Bird

The checkerboard on the bottom is like UltraCote, not individual squares. Which dummy from Tower did you get, interested in changing mine also. Mine is going to be built "as is" for now. After flying it for a while, I'll start making changes to it to look more like Bevo's mount. One scale detail that we've missed is the registration numbers on the top of the right wing panel. There's a couple of pictures on the net and they cover a good portion of the wing panel.

FB
Old 05-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Bullseye52

I didn't check to see if the checkerboard was that funky adhesive stuff, I just assumed. Freebird, I got the1/7th scale radial (it's a Top Flite item). I've looked at many renditions of Bevo's plane and on most there are no reg numbers on the top wing, so either way works! What are you guys using for power? I decided to go electric as to not have to butcher up the cowl. Will probably change the wheels as well.

Bullseye52
Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 AM
Free Bird

I'll be installing an Evo 33cc gasser. Don't know yet how much of the cowl will need to be cut away, I don't think too much will need to b cut, the cowl is pretty deep. I'm leaving off the reg numbers on the wing as it covers up too much of the sun burst.

FB
Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 AM
Bullseye52

Well, the three day weekend supplied me with great flying weather here in Georgia and a chance to work on the Bucker. I have completed the installation of the Turnigy G110 and Turnigy Sentilon 100amp HV ESC. I had an unused motor box from my H9 Thunderbolt and a few stand offs, combined they gave me the necessary clearance to the front of the cowl. I also painted the white interplane plane struts red to match Bevo's Bucker. After looking at the wing struts, I originally thought I would build a new set from scratch, but I opted to try stripping down one of the existing logs, uh struts. I found that there was a balsa wood facing on both sides of the strut and it came of easily with a long exacto blade. This reduced the thickness of the strut by about a 1/4 inch. This left me with a strut that consisted of two "Vietnamese" plywood pieces over a laser cut balsa wood core. I also popped out the metric blind nuts and will replace them with 2-56 hardware. If you go this route, you will need to fill in some lightening holes in the strut with some balsa filler which is no big chore. After sanding and covering with some ultra-cote red, I have a much sleeker set of struts that still fit as Seagull intended and it took me all of two hours to pull off!

The aileron servos were next installed and on mine whoever installed the wing tube got the servo wiring pull string wrapped around the wing tube! It was frustrating for about 1 minute until I just fabricated a pull rod from some old 2-56 rod I had and inserted that into wing, grabbed the servo wire (I could see it quite easily. and pulled it on through. I have to say the fact that the ailerons were already installed made the process of wing set up a snap. Of yeah, I forgot to mention I am using Seagull's supplied servo horns, they look beefy enough to do the job. Just make sure you fill the pockets where the horns go with plenty of epoxy and make sure you rough sand the part of the horn that goes into the pocket.

Sorry not to have any pics but I hope some of this helps you guys who are building this bird!

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 05-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Free Bird

Here's a teaser shot of mine in flight. Built totally stock - for the moment. Later in the season I'll be tearing it down to make it somewhat more scale. Ain't she pretty!

FB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2099173   Click image for larger version

Views:	147
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2099174   Click image for larger version

Views:	180
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2099175  

Last edited by Free Bird; 05-28-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Bullseye52

FB that's a very nice bird! I am looking forward to maidening mine within the next couple of weeks.

Bullseye52
Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 AM
davidej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

I have completed mine but not yet fitted the motor which arrived today. It is an NGH 26 gas engine (or petrol as we call it here).

I can't make up my mind whether to mount it on it's side or inverted. The instructions show the Evolution inverted but the Saito on it's side.

I usually find side mounting the least troublesome but this is a heavy engine and would unbalance it a bit. Also the exhaust would come out of the side.

What have you guys done?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Bullseye52

Well, FWIW! The CG at 180mm produces a very tail heavy, unruly little aircraft! The Turnigy G110 and two Zippy 30c 4500 4S lipo's in series produce plenty of oomph! However, I had a very thrilling. challenging and finally rewarding first flight (the rewarding part is I got it back down in one piece). I am moving my CG to 150mm, I read some where else that this measurement did well on another Bucker so I'm going to that happy place. Here are some pics of my Bucker, not too shabby!
Happy Flying!

Bullseye52

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01441.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	644.6 KB
ID:	2104427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01451.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	2104428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_86851.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	705.0 KB
ID:	2104429  

Last edited by Bullseye52; 06-20-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Bullseye, it looks like you took the pictures at the GMA field in Forsyth Co., GA. Correct? That is where I fly. Do you ever come out on week days? I would like to see your plane.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM
SrTelemaster150

I need a biplane to complete my "air force". This looks like a good candidate!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Bullseye52

Originally Posted by landeck
Bullseye, it looks like you took the pictures at the GMA field in Forsyth Co., GA. Correct? That is where I fly. Do you ever come out on week days? I would like to see your plane.

Bruce
Yep, that's GMA, enjoy it while we got it! I wish I could fly during the week but that darn boss of mine wants me at work M-F, for what I don't know! (ha ha).

Bulseye52
Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM
SrTelemaster150

What is the ID of the cowl? Will a Saito FA-150 tuck inside W/O a cut-out?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Free Bird

I've got several flights on my Bucker now and here's what I think. Mine is balanced at 180mm as recommended and I think mine is nose heavy. I'm using a Syssa 30cc gasser and the power is good. Mine requires a fair amount of down trim and all testing leads me to believe that I need some down thrust. Flying straight and level at full throttle, go to idle quickly and leave the elevator alone and the plane will climb. That's a thrust issue. I'm going to start by adding one degree at a time and when satisfied I'll start working on the CG.

As far as control response, the rudder is very powerful, elevator is fairly responsive and the recommended throw is a good starting point. Ailerons are a touch slow for my liking. Turns require a touch of rudder to lead the plane into a turn, after that it'll carve pretty good. Personally, I think the vertical fin is a little on the small side. Landings require that you carry power, if you slow too much, the plane will drop really quick. The landing gear is very stiff and unless the landing is a greaser, it'll bounce a few times.

Overall, it's neat model in the air, flying it is a little different. After some trimming I think it'll be a good flyer.

Bullseye, glad you got her back in one piece, the Callie graphics look totally awesome, gotta get a set! Your wheels look good what brand and size are they? Also, I don't see any fasteners holding the cowl in place, how is your cowl being held in place?

Davidej, being mine is a gasser, the engine is mounted inverted. The forward portion of the head barely touches the cowl.

FB

Last edited by Free Bird; 06-20-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Bullseye52

Default Response to Freebird

See below responses in red.

Originally Posted by Free Bird
I've got several flights on my Bucker now and here's what I think. Mine is balanced at 180mm as recommended and I think mine is nose heavy. I'm using a Syssa 30cc gasser and the power is good. Mine requires a fair amount of down trim and all testing leads me to believe that I need some down thrust. Flying straight and level at full throttle, go to idle quickly and leave the elevator alone and the plane will climb. That's a thrust issue. I'm going to start by adding one degree at a time and when satisfied I'll start working on the CG. The plane flew tail down and was difficult to turn, when I reduced power it became manageable enough to get it back on earth with no damage other than a pulled out flying wire. Plane balanced level with batteries installed but they are pretty much on the cg anyway so not much of a balancing issue there. I moved the CG to 150 by adding 6oz of sticky lead on the motor box, should make a difference.

As far as control response, the rudder is very powerful, elevator is fairly responsive and the recommended throw is a good starting point. Ailerons are a touch slow for my liking. Turns require a touch of rudder to lead the plane into a turn, after that it'll carve pretty good. Personally, I think the vertical fin is a little on the small side. Landings require that you carry power, if you slow too much, the plane will drop really quick. The landing gear is very stiff and unless the landing is a greaser, it'll bounce a few times.

Overall, it's neat model in the air, flying it is a little different. After some trimming I think it'll be a good flyer.

Bullseye, glad you got her back in one piece, the Callie graphics look totally awesome, gotta get a set! Your wheels look good what brand and size are they? Also, I don't see any fasteners holding the cowl in place, how is your cowl being held in place? If you remember, the wooden cowl ring comes installed on the front with wood screws. I have access holes on the dummy engine that I can reach socket head screws with a long allen wrench, so the cowl is held on internally (no visible mounting screws).Callie did a great job but this was the second set I ordered from her. The first was cut at 1/4 scale (my mistake) so these are 1/5 scale and the perfect size. Just take your time installing them. The graphics on the wing was the hardest one to apply because of all the small individual letters.The wheels are the 1/5 scale Du-Bro cub wheels, I sanded the cub lettering off the covers.

Davidej, being mine is a gasser, the engine is mounted inverted. The forward portion of the head barely touches the cowl.

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52

Happy Father Day!

FB
Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Bullseye52

Cowl is around 8 inches, but regardless you will end up cutting the cowl to get the engine situated. Electric works great!

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
What is the ID of the cowl? Will a Saito FA-150 tuck inside W/O a cut-out?
Old 06-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Bullseye52

Well, I added 19oz of lead to the top of the motor box, which made the plane nose down a few degrees. Totally different animal now, a joy to fly! Jerry Smith was at the field doing some pics on a plane he's reviewing for MAN and he snapped a couple of great in-flight pics of the Bucker. I'll post them as soon as Jerry sends them to me. This one is a keeper!

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 AM
davidej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye52
Well, I added 19oz of lead to the top of the motor box, which made the plane nose down a few degrees. Totally different animal now, a joy to fly! Jerry Smith was at the field doing some pics on a plane he's reviewing for MAN and he snapped a couple of great in-flight pics of the Bucker. I'll post them as soon as Jerry sends them to me. This one is a keeper!

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Where has this got your G of G ?

I have fitted about 10 oz lead on top of a heavy 25 cc gas engine (30 oz) and it has come out at about 5 3/4 in (about 150mm) from the leading edge of top wing.

I am definitely NOT the best flyer on the field and, to me, it still seems a bit unstable in pitch. I am thinking of adding more weight.

Any other owners got an opinion?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Any updates? I am about to start my build on the Bucker
Old 04-13-2017, 07:07 PM
CaptRKO

Anyone?

DLE-20? DLE-30?

Any suggestions before I start the build?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 AM
CaptRKO

Installing a DLE-35RA. Looks like the factory standoffs should work? Anyone? Anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.