Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

seeking buying advice, 30CC ARF (3D/Pattern Flyer)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

seeking buying advice, 30CC ARF (3D/Pattern Flyer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM
ScottSampson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool seeking buying advice, 30CC ARF (3D/Pattern Flyer)

hey folks, im looking to get back into flying this year and have purchased a few smaller electrics I have been having a blast with. I have had lots of Nitro planes in the past but have come to the conclusion I would rather go bigger,and cut the bulk of the tuning/tinkering frustration nitro brings. Im still not willing to go fully electric so I think I am leaning towards a 30cc but my concerns/questions are as follows: a) finding a suitable ARF... 3D/Pattern flyer thinking maybe an extra or an edge but looking for some insight, this will be my first larger scale 3d aircraft. most of what I used to fly were more "animated" for lack of a better term. planes like katanas, and funtanas with a little bit of an unrealistic wing loadings. B) how should I power it, I know the Desert Aircraft 35cc would be an amazing/reliable choice but its expensive...should I be afraid of the DL30cc, ive read a lot of horror stories about this engine and im wondering if the price jump for the DL is worth while or maybe even some other size/power options to look at. for example should I just be going with a 50cc? I appreciate all tips and advice in advanced guys
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Interesting question. 30cc are cool planes, they fly pretty well, they are easy to transport, and they don't cost all that much.

That said, I'd prefer a 50 to 60cc plane, they fly better and the price difference for the better performance is worth it, though a 100cc flys better yet they get hard to transport and store and a lot more expensive.

Most of the models from the major players fly quite well these days and taming them down for precision is just a matter of lowering the throws and sliding some battery weight forward.

Red Wing, Extreme Flight, Aeroworks all come to mind, there's plenty of others.

DLE engines are distributed by Hobbico/Great Planes and run well and cost less than DA. DA's nearly always run well and you're paying extra for their OUTSTANDING service.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DLE vrs DA

I agree with the previous post....he summarized it well. I'm a bit partial to DLE, currently flying a FlyModel Sbach 300 with DLE 30 and I fly it like a pattern ship as I'm not really into 3D but this model will do 3D as has been proven many times by the other pilots who I let fly it!

DA's service has set the bar HIGH.....and IF I was to purchase a 50cc or larger, I'd go with DA. Just my thoughts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P7210026.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	852.5 KB
ID:	2089205  
Old 04-14-2015, 04:22 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A few thoughts, in no special order -

If you're serious about/really enjoy "animated" flying, you owe it to yourself to try a 20cc gas powered profile (DLE, Valley View, or RCGF engines). If not this plane, maybe later on, but try one!

More on point, IMHO anyway, I would ask that you consider many or even most of the DLE horror stories you hear/read about may have been self induced by rookie gas converts, especially early on when nearly everyone was getting their first gas engine. The first generation DLE 20's "animated" many a pilot trying to get those running right. There's a learning curve involved when going gas, and many that had been flying a long time had a few new lessons learned that might have been learned the hard way....

I agree the bigger the better when it comes to flying, but you need to draw the line somewhere. That's why I stopped flying full scale....

The 30-35cc powered scale aerobatic stuff are great flying, easy to handle and transport, have great wind penetration, and are not too hard to afford to fly (even when you have an "animated" flying style). When I start playing with anything bigger, I'm WAY more conservative, but that may have something to do with my financial situation (retired!). The 20cc planes are even more affordable. Carefully chosen, there's some pretty decent flying going on with these as well. Still figuring out the 10cc gassers, but those airframes are VERY inexpensive (comparatively speaking)!

Regarding airframe choice, most of the popular planes will all be mid wing designs with plug in wings, and it sounds like you're familiar with the difference in handling expected from different wing loading. Maybe look at tail moments (distance from wing trailing edge to leading edge of horizontal stabilizer) and side profile area to maybe help narrow your choices.

Best of luck obsessing over all your choices!! -Al
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A few thoughts, in no special order -

If you're serious about/really enjoy "animated" flying, you owe it to yourself to try a 20cc gas powered profile (DLE, Valley View, or RCGF engines). If not this plane, maybe later on, but try one!

More on point, IMHO anyway, I would ask that you consider many or even most of the DLE horror stories you hear/read about may be self induced by rookie gas converts, especially early on when nearly everyone was getting their first gas engine. The first generation DLE 20's "animated" many a pilot trying to get those running right. There's a learning curve involved when going gas, and many that had been flying a long time had a few new lessons learned that might have been learned the hard way....

I agree the bigger the better when it comes to flying, but you need to draw the line somewhere. That's why I stopped flying full scale....

The 30-35cc powered scale aerobatic stuff are great flying, easy to handle and transport, have great wind penetration, and are not too hard to afford to fly (even when you have an "animated" flying style). When I start playing with anything bigger, I'm WAY more conservative, but that may have something to do with my financial situation (retired!). The 20cc planes are even more affordable. Carefully chosen, there's some pretty decent flying going on with these as well. Still figuring out the 10cc gassers, but those airframes are VERY inexpensive (comparatively speaking)!

Regarding airframe choice, most of the popular planes will all be mid wing designs with plug in wings, and it sounds like you're familiar with the difference in handling expected from different wing loading. Maybe look at tail moments (distance from wing trailing edge to leading edge of horizontal stabilizer) and side profile area to maybe help narrow your choices.

Last, you might want to check into the spare parts situation prior to ordering any airframe from anyone. Some have them, but most do not.

Best of luck obsessing over all your choices!! -Al
Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well 50cc size models do fly better but the issue in my mind is that over the last number of years, those size models have grown to the point that you really need to be looking at bigger engines with say a DLE55 being the minimum and while there are other 60cc size range Chinese engines, the DA60 is a real horse.

So if it were me, I'd stay with the slightly smaller stuff or go bigger. While other models have been mentioned, the new AJ Laser 230's are awesome flying models with the ability to do outstanding 3D as well as some really good precision aerobatics. They make a 73" size that's perfect for the 35cc engines or it can be electric. Take a look around the forums for some reviews on these models, I think there should be some coverage here on RCU of the recent Toledo show where they had a booth with some models on display.

Now if you decide something slightly bigger than a 50cc size is something to consider, they also have a 93" version that is unreal with a DA70 twin cylinder on the nose....