Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Shoestring

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Shoestring

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Shoestring

Ok Bull, you asked for it! I got the flight tests done again and it's official...This plane STILL rocks![X(] I'll get the cowl back on and it'll be finalized for my tastes. Without further fuss, here she is...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23833.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	137585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74486.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	137586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99443.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	137587  
Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Cogburn

I finally went ahead and got my shoestring done today and took it to the field for a couple test flights. Flies like it's on rails and is much more mild mannered than i expected it to be. Did some rolls and loops and trim adjustments etc. The magnum .61 runs good and throttles well with the new perry carb. Still way rich for the test flights but it gets around the pattern pretty quick. My club has a Imaa giant scale meet tommorow so i figured i better get it done since it qualifies under the quarter scale rule. I was a little leery of the landings but it slowed right down good and floated in for nice three point landings. Everybody at the field thought it was a very good looking and nice flying machine. Looking forward to leaning it out and seeing what it'll do!! Axial rolls are quick and it doesn't seem to have much coupling. Knife edges a little better than level at the throw i have. Nice airplane!!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:02 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Update - I installed the YS last week, but I seem to have replaced one cantankerous engine with another one. I know all you YS vets are going to laugh at me, but after four sessions of fighting with it, I've gone from an inconsistent idle and horrible transition to where I can't even get the dang thing to start at all! I'm not having much luck with it. Any advise on setting up an inverted mounted YS91 from scratch would be appreciated. Until I figure it out, the plane is going nowhere.

I also did what I said I was going to try - I found some composite material cabinet shims at Home Depot, and cut three pieces to lay under the landing gear, thick side forward. Thus, the gear now mounts at an angle with the wheels further forward. Should have measured how much change it made, but I didn't. The shims are about 3/16 thick on the the think end, tapering down to nothing in the back. This alteration required me to trim the side sheeting where the gear legs pass through, as it sits 3/16!QUOT! higher now in the front. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I hope this will help with the nosing over problem.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Try reading this a few times and you to can become a YS expert. [link=http://home.comcast.net/~mark.fuess/ys110.htm]YS info[/link] Don't let other engine "gurus" at your field get near you or the engine while you are adjusting it. You MUST have a tach. Again, don't listen to expersts who stand there and say it's lean, it's rich, turn the regulator screw blah, blah ,blah.... They don't know whay they are talking about.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Cogburn

I've got 8 flights on mine since friday-this thing is pretty fun! Had the fastest plane at the field and got lOTS of compliments on its performance and looks! Had fun doing touch and goes and hammerheads and great big loops and spins and loops with rolls at the top and bottom and hammerheads and....you name it! What a blast! Slows down great with the help of a little wind nice soft floating landings. Crosswind landings ok too! A little crab and grease it on. No wind hot temp landings were a little hot but no problem still had some field left. I think everybody with a camera took pictures of it. Cool plane
Old 06-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Cogburn, glad your enjoying yours.

This is one awesome bird! After my recent rebuild i had a hard landing and POP went the firewall, engine, and mount. Luckily it didnt damage the throttle servo this time. What a glutton for punishment! I will rebuild again and again until it becomes painfully obvious that another kit is in order (or on order ). It may mot have remained the best looking plane at the field, but it still flies rings around the competition. I am very impressed with this plane and it's capabilities. I will have another one when this one makes its final landing![8D]
Old 07-11-2004, 07:38 PM
AirIck

I think i finally cured my lust for a little more with this airplane... it flies and balanced just like with the os.91. knife enge, rolls like a dart, no stall on tightloops, inverted is perfect,BUT! thats where it ends. This baby's fast . Our field has a 500 ft runway and she uses every bit of it as slow as i can fly it.. not saying too much about it because it really sounds ridiculous. and i know the muffler LOOks ridiculous, its not taller then the profile of the cowl so it doesnt bother me a bit. super tigre 2300 inverted in front and 6V 5 cell giant battery a little back in fuse for balance. 8 flights with this setup and all is well. did a major reinforcing jobbefore hand as well. if youve got the room for it, i recommend it.. hope you get yours back flying again BUll
Erik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69990.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	152668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85410.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	152669  
Old 07-11-2004, 08:52 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

I "did" love mine. Some moronic club guru who was supposed to be watching the impound bench went and checked his out even when mine was allready checked out with his freq. Now my shoestring is a pile of toothpicks. Whats even worse he said if I didnt like it to leave. Well I did. I am thinking of turning his ama number in to the ama people. I doubt it will do any good though. What do you all think?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:07 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to here about your loss, that burns me up.[:@][:@][:@]. The rule and etiquette of flying is you turn on and you are not suppose to turn on you offer to replace it! WHAT A JERK!!!!
[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-11-2004, 10:35 PM
BasinBum

The AMA won't do anything in this case. I would usually never suggest shooting someone down but in this case I say go for it and then just tell him what he told you.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
DragonHeart

Hi Guys,

Im just about to build one of these........ still brand new in the box.............. I plan on using a SC91 FourStroke in her......... does anyone have any suggestions/modifcations that i should do as i build her ? ie : Landing gear etc if so what material did you use and how did you do it ?????? I also fly off a grass patch soo do you recommend i dont use the wheel spats ?? it would be a shame as they look great.......

Any help would be very welcome
Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 AM
BasinBum

Hold off on the pants for a while but when you do use them...
Leave the wheel axles long and add another ply square to the non-mounted side of the wheel pant. Run the axle thru the wheel pant and make your cut flush to the outside so it supports the pant from both sides, much stronger.

Pin the cowl mount blocks with bamboo skewers or toothpicks.

Center the canopy piece that gets glued to the top of the wing so the gap is even in front and back. I added balsa to fill the gap and it makes it hard to get the wing on, live with the gap.

Enjoy the plane cause it really flies well, great in knife edge and higher speed aerobatics, really good low speed charecteristics as well.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:41 AM
DragonHeart

Thx for the reply BasinBum,

Did u use the supplied Hinges or put some stronger ones in ?? im gonna ditch the plastic clevises and replace with metal
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 AM
BasinBum

I've had good luck with CA hinges and see no problem using them on this plane. I did cut them at 1" square since you don't need as many as you would get cutting them the recomended 3/4". I also use an old soldering iron to open up the Monocote around the hinge slot instead of cutting it out like the instructions show, very easy and fast.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:35 AM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

I believe I used everything that came with the plane and I put an oversized .91FX in the nose which doesn't add any weight over the suggested .60 size engine. Due to the added power I did glass the center of the wing. I also reinforced the landing gear. I haven't had any problems with many flights on the plane. Oh, and this plane has only two throttle settings......idle and full!!!!

Jeff
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
DragonHeart

Hi Guys, Belive it or not im just getting round to building this after 5 years (how time passes) lol.............

Ok after reading back some of these old posts.............

Whats the best way in plain english to beef up the landing gear and any more recommendations whilst building to make her a bit more durable ? i have a OS91FX with Pitts ready for her.................

Hope someone still has one of these out thier.........
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

That is the exact set up of mine... I still have it... Didn't fly mine last year my FX91 is geting a little beat... Mine used to SCREAM FAST with that set up. I was clocked on Radar at 116 mph... Mine is so old I don't remember what I did to beef mine up on the landing gear though I do know that it did break... You will love this plane it is such an eye catcher... I always get so many comments on it... I put a FLASH SUPER HERO in it.... The Kids loved it...Good luck
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DragonHeart

Hi Guys, Belive it or not im just getting round to building this after 5 years (how time passes) lol.............

Ok after reading back some of these old posts.............

Whats the best way in plain english to beef up the landing gear and any more recommendations whilst building to make her a bit more durable ? i have a OS91FX with Pitts ready for her.................

Hope someone still has one of these out thier.........
I removed the covering on the bottom and inserted a another bulkhead made of 3/32 aircraft ply from the bottom. I then also replaced the main stringers with spruce on the bottom. Then from the top, a layed a piece of fiberglass cloth on the plywood plate that also overlapped the bulkhead in front of the plate and behind it.
Even after years of flying this model, I would not have done anything different. I have had no problems with it whatsoever "KNOCK ON WOOD". This plane has seen over 10 gallons of fuel, and is in the same shape that it started in.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Dragonheart,

This was sure a post out of the blue. I still have my Shoestring but can't remember what I did to reinforce the landing gear. Whatever I did it worked because I've had zero problems with it. I would suggest you check the incidense on the elevator though. Mine has a bit of negative which makes it want to climb more and more as throttle is applied. Also, with the way the wing goes on you can't shim it without making the plane look lousy. Really kind of annoying with a plane that needs to go fast and makes those wormburners down the runway much more difficult. I'm planning on removing its tail and resetting it soon. Ah ARF's My OS .91FX worked great on the plane but found it impossible to get the tank pressure high enough with the Bisson Pitt's muffler I purchased for it. I even tried plugging some of the exhaust to bring it up but that just caused other problems. I ended up having to put a fuel pump on the plane and that solved the issue. I was a little dissapointed with the speed I got the the .91.......I was surprised that that engine just doesn't scream like its little brothers.

Jeff396