Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Fabric Cub

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Fabric Cub

Old 07-16-2015, 05:03 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rs, Glad to hear your Cub arrived in good shape. In recent years I have had a few ARFs arrive with crushed wing ribs and then had to cut the wings open for repairs. I guess it's always a crap shoot whither your ARF comes intact or partially rekitted in the box. Kit building skills overcome the problem but it's still annoying. Yes, the Magnum 52 laid over 90 degrees with a pitts muffler should be good power. I used to prefer Slimline mufflers over Bisson but Slimline is NLA. What is the muffler bolt spacing on the Magnum?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:17 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hole spacing per the info provided with the engine says it should be 1 7/16" or 1.4375. By my measurements with dial calipers it is 1 15/23" or 1.468. My measurements seem to be correct with the engine and the drawing provided. Bisson closes at noon on friday so I missed them but I did leave a message with the diminsions so hopefully they will call back next week.

This plane came with a wood motor mount. I don't remember this on the first plane. I will switch it out for a GP adjustable mount. I already have it on hand. Everything else looks good from there on out.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:20 PM
52larry52

rs, It looks like, also measured with dial calipers, your 1.468" dimension matches up with an O.S. 40, 46, 50, FX and AX muffler bolt spacing. I tried to research at Bisson Mufflers but I couldn't find any web site for the manufacturer. My H-9 80" Cub also came with a wooden motor mount and I have gone ahead and used it and it worked out fine for mounting my Saito. My progress with my Cub is moving at a snail's pace. I am going to go fly my Rascal 110 tomorrow so I won't touch the Cub again till next week. No hurry, no worry.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 PM
ratshooter

The Rascal is a cool plane. Seems like I ran across some info the other day that said it is a design that has been around for a long time.

I did what I should have done first on finding a Bisson muffler for the Magnum 52. I took down my GP Big Stik 40 with a TT 46 and my new but unflown Bridi Krafty 60 with an OS SF 46 and tried the Magnum muffler on both of them and they will all interchange. Even though the Os and TT 46 engines have different stock numbers on the Bisson site I am guessing they are the same muffler. So I am safe ordering either one for my engine. And they are sold on Ebay for a better price to boot.

I am in no hurry to put this plane together. I have several planes to fly now when and if the friggin' wind ever slows down. But then again when the wind quits its gonna get really hot. I am wanting to build my Das Little Stik kit and may do that first. Anyway I have several projects to keep me busy for a while. Any kind of model stuff is better than sitting on my butt watching TV.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM
ratshooter

OK I am digging up my own thread. I still have the Cub in the box. It will be a deep winter project I guess. I ended up buying a like new OS 70 four stroke on ebay for $93 total cost. So that will be the power plant. My buddy has an old Astro Hog kit he keeps trying to give me that might also get that engine for a while.

I have a new kit from ebay coming also. A midwest Aerosport. This looks for all the world to be a sweet stik 40 with a rectangular tail instead of the round tail typical of "Stik" type models. It will have the next turn on the building board.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

You'll be happy with the OS 70, My Great Planes arf cub had one to start with...now it has a saito 100GK hauling it around. I enjoy flying the "drunk farmer" airshow act with my model. I will also say functional scale landing gear makes a big difference and the dubro cub wheels are great also.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks like a really cool plane!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:03 PM
52larry52

ratshooter, Just as motivation for you to get going on your Hanger 9 Cub I want to report that I have finished my H-9 Cub with the Saito 65 project and what a joy to fly it is! lt lifts off in about 6 feet and is just a pleasure to fly and watch as it flys. Your's with the OS 70 will do the same. I finished mine off as a Civil Air Patrol plane from Alaska with oversize tundra tires (used some Dubro 1/4 scale Cub tires) and am very pleased with how the finished model looks and flys. I last flew it 2 weeks ago today, back to back with my 100" 1/4 scale H-9 cub and came home smiling. Good times...now get going on yours!