Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Who Builds for Hire near Kansas City?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Who Builds for Hire near Kansas City?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:12 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KC Air
The airframe is 100% built, all electronics installed thanks to the generous investment of time, effort, and supplies from my new friend M3Baker. I could not have done it without him, but I will be able to do it next time. Plus I can fix this one if I have any issues.

I received my Saito 82 today... all that is left to do is install / plumb the engine. Hopefully, the maiden flight will be this weekend.
KC,

I really enjoyed spending a few evenings with you getting the airframe done. We'll get that new motor on there this weekend. I want you to know that it is my pleasure working with you. That plane is going to fly very nicely. I'll be there with you every step of the way and we can buddy box the first few flights to get you nice and comfortable if that's what you want to do.

Thanks for for the framed photo of one of my favorite bands. It was not necessary, but is much appreciated!

I'll see you this weekend.

Paul
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by M3Baker
KC,

I really enjoyed spending a few evenings with you getting the airframe done. We'll get that new motor on there this weekend. I want you to know that it is my pleasure working with you. That plane is going to fly very nicely. I'll be there with you every step of the way and we can buddy box the first few flights to get you nice and comfortable if that's what you want to do.

Thanks for for the framed photo of one of my favorite bands. It was not necessary, but is much appreciated!

I'll see you this weekend.

Paul
Paul -
I have enjoyed it as well! I will take you up on your offer to buddy box.. the last thing I want to do is wreck this beautiful plane.
Thanks for everything
Michael
Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 PM
KC Air

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito FA82.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2113988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra tail.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2113989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra rear.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2113990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra full on.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2113991  
Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM
M3Baker

Wow, great photos. Nice job with the graphics!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Left horizontal stabilizer end, bubble.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Left horizontal stabilizer end, bubble.
Invaluable input, thank you Tom
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM
KC Air

Maiden flight on Sunday Aug 31.. she flies!!!

The hours I spent ironing out every wrinkle / bubble was wasted.. the sun put more in it than it had when I opened the box the first time. The Saito 82 was a little fussy for a minute, but once it was dialed in it ran like a scalded dog

Last edited by KC Air; 09-02-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: date correction
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KC Air, I don't care about the wrinkles or bubbles in the covering! Give us some "meat and potatoes" of the flight. Did you do the takeoff and landing on the maiden? Did M3Baker test fly it for you? What is your assessment of the experience? And last but not least, is the plane in one piece? Inquiring minds want to know, give us some details. Hope all went well.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM
KC Air

M3Baker took it up, and trimmed it out. Then I flew on a buddy box. The radio had expos set, which I did not like, and took a little getting used to. I flew that bad boy around a bit, did a slow approach, but my throttle would not cut all the way back (trim) so M3Baker landed it. I would say that I had it lined up right for landing, and was about 2 ft off the ground at a proper landing angle when M3B took control. I am very confident I can land that plane. Total flight time between two flights was prob 7 - 10 minutes. The plane is completely undamaged, so far. Needs bigger wheels for those grass landings though, before it noses over and breaks something. Hopefully we get it back in the air this weekend. I will continue to post updates until I fly it completely by myself, or I rekit it, which ever comes first.

M3Baker is a great pilot and a great guy, I am very fortunate to have him and his friend helping me.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
KC Air

The plane flies great, I forgot to say that. The build experience was fun, can't wait to do it again.

I already picked out my next plane, and have started buying things for it.

I honestly don't understand why everyone doesn't fly RC planes!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:02 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by 52larry52
KC Air, I don't care about the wrinkles or bubbles in the covering! Give us some "meat and potatoes" of the flight. Did you do the takeoff and landing on the maiden? Did M3Baker test fly it for you? What is your assessment of the experience? And last but not least, is the plane in one piece? Inquiring minds want to know, give us some details. Hope all went well.
Larry,
KC did pretty much all of the flying. I did do the take offs and landings, but he could have done them just fine. I had never flown with KC so I was unsure of his flying abilities. It was obvious as we flew together that he has very good flying skills. We did work on a buddy box by my choice since we were flying at my club field, and had a lot of onlookers. After I got it trimmed out, which was three clicks of down and two clicks of right aileron, he flew the rest of the time. He would have made the landing on the last flight, but I did not have his motor trim low enough, (my fault).

To answer your question, of course the plane is in one piece.

Earlier in the thread there were a lot of folks saying this and that. Mostly, they were advising KC that this was maybe too much plane for him. They were also saying that an Extra could have difficult flying habits. Some said for him to build a different less advanced plane first.

KC and I built this plane together. We took extra care to build it right and we talked a lot during the build. He was involved in every single step. We stretched what should have been a four hour build into a two day build, but we had fun and became great friends.

It is my opinion that KC will get bored with this plane one day. He certainly displayed the ability to fly much more plane. I think he has a lot of natural ability.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
52larry52

KC Air, Excellent ! I would say the whole thing went perfect. Little things like "I want bigger wheels" and "the idle is too high" is what a maiden flight is for. Get Paul to fly it with you one more time and you should be on your own. His input on your landings and takeoff will be of value to you and help you keep the airplane safe. No sense crashing it now that you are over the hump on this deal. I always make my students go to the field with the attitude that "we are NOT going to crash", a positive approach. It works 99% of the time. I find that flyers that expect to crash, WILL CRASH ! Well congratulations and be sure to buy lunch for Paul.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:05 PM
52larry52

M3Baker, Thanks for helping KC out. Good job from building start to landing touchdown. I think you just helped make good RC modeler and pilot.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:25 PM
KC Air

KC Air, Excellent ! I would say the whole thing went perfect. Little things like "I want bigger wheels" and "the idle is too high" is what a maiden flight is for. Get Paul to fly it with you one more time and you should be on your own. His input on your landings and takeoff will be of value to you and help you keep the airplane safe. No sense crashing it now that you are over the hump on this deal. I always make my students go to the field with the attitude that "we are NOT going to crash", a positive approach. It works 99% of the time. I find that flyers that expect to crash, WILL CRASH ! Well congratulations and be sure to buy lunch for Paul.
Larry, I am mindful of how easy it is to crash, but I do not fear it. I have never been nervous flying for some reason. I was at a strange field, with a new plane, and plenty of people that I did not know watching, and was not nervous at all. I have crashed on the sim plenty of times, I know how easy it is to screw up if your attention is not sharply focused. I also learned all about over-controlling a responsive plane and losing it. That's why I know I can fly this plane... I know what is right and what is wrong. I am an obsessive learner, and have studied much.

I gave Paul a small gift for his effort, I am a photographer, and I gave him a framed photo of one of his favorite bands that I happened to shoot for a local paper when they played Kansas City in 2013.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM
M3Baker

M3Baker, Thanks for helping KC out. Good job from building start to landing touchdown. I think you just helped make good RC modeler and pilot.
Thanks, Larry. KC is doing very well.

On another note, I used to live in your area. Was on a RC break during that time, so I wasn't flying much. I lived in Carrollton and was the VP of the Flowers plant in Villa Rica. This was back in 2001 through 2003. I grew up over in Athens, GA. Went to UGA, spent some time in the Marine Corps and have been with Flowers Foods for the past 27 yrs.. Carrollton was a great place to live and raise our daughter who was in grade school at that time.

Small world...

Paul
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 PM
M3Baker

Larry, I am mindful of how easy it is to crash, but I do not fear it. I have never been nervous flying for some reason. I was at a strange field, with a new plane, and plenty of people that I did not know watching, and was not nervous at all. I have crashed on the sim plenty of times, I know how easy it is to screw up if your attention is not sharply focused. I also learned all about over-controlling a responsive plane and losing it. That's why I know I can fly this plane... I know what is right and what is wrong. I am an obsessive learner, and have studied much.

I gave Paul a small gift for his effort, I am a photographer, and I gave him a framed photo of one of his favorite bands that I happened to shoot for a local paper when they played Kansas City in 2013.
KC, you are absolutely right. You are one of the most calm pilots I've ever seen. You voice and thumbs were very steady. I was very impressed with your ability to process and execute during flying. You asked all of the right questions in my opinion.

Here's a funny story:
Several years ago I attended my first jet event. I was a baby turbine pilot at the time and was not processing the work load very well. On my first flight of the event, I was in the air with six other jets flying by me, over me and underneath me. These guys were just blowing by me. Man was it stressful! No, scary. Anyway, my spotter, who was also my instructor, starts asking me what was the noise coming from my transmitter? Well, it was my thumbs shaking so badly it was making a rattling noise. Anyway, we had a good laugh, but he made me fly the damn jet all the way through touchdown and taxi back. I asked him several times to take the transmitter, but as my instructor he knew I could do it, and he just kept me as calm as he could through the whole ordeal. More than anything I appreciate him not letting me give up on that flight and get my confidence broken. Fortunately, I never got the shakes again; probably because he made me stick with it and not give up. We still laugh about that flight to this day.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:45 PM
52larry52

Paul, Yes, small world indeed. I live a mile and a half up 101 from the Flowers plant. Sometimes when the wind is right I can smell what's baking at the bakery. Smells good too! I belong to the Douglas County Aero Modelers in Douglasville and Taildraggers RC in Cartersville. There is no RC club in Carroll County. When you were here in Carroll County (2001) I was just transitioning from a 35 year stint racing cars (full scale) to a return to model airplanes, my childhood passion. It was free flight and control line in those days as RC was just getting started and well beyond my kids allowance budget. Well it good to know both of you even if just thru RCU. Looks like the skys in the heartland are in good hands so I'll sign off and wish you clear skys and tailwinds.

Last edited by 52larry52; 09-02-2015 at 06:47 PM.