Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Who Builds for Hire near Kansas City?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Who Builds for Hire near Kansas City?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 AM
KC Air

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who Builds for Hire near Kansas City?

Newb here, excited about the hobby, ready to move past a trainer plane. I am looking at the Great Planes Extra 300 SP (link below)

I do not have room for a shop in my home, and dont want to try to do this at the kitchen table. Who (within 50 miles of KC) could build this for me, and what would you charge?
I will supply the ARF kit, electric motor, ESC/BEC, rx, servos. Hopefully you will supply the tools, supplies, and know how.

Thanks for reading my post.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVVG4&P=ML
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM
sgtmonte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you a member of one of the KC RC clubs? There are a couple in your area.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Geez, you're going to miss out on half the fun of model airplane flying.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What part of town do you live in?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
KC Air

Blue Springs area. Sorry I did not see your reply, I did not mean to ignore you

Last edited by KC Air; 07-02-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Geez, you're going to miss out on half the fun of model airplane flying.
I understand that. I work, plus have a side biz. I dont have the time, tools, or space to do this right. I dont want to buy a bunch of tools and supplies at this point, there is a good possibility that this plane will be all I have for a good long time.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:07 PM
KC Air

I have decided to use a 46 OS MAX AS engine instead of electric. The engine is new old stock, I have had it for 10 years, never use it. The guy at Hobby Haven said it is a rock solid unit
Old 07-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Tom Nied

Sell the whole damn thing and just get yourself a RTF.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:47 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Sell the whole damn thing and just get yourself a RTF.
What is your problem Tom? I will thank you to keep your negativity out of my thread.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:03 AM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KC, Sometimes there is hidden wisdom in what on the surface may seem like a smart ***** answer. Once you post a question you are the "OP" but it is not "your" thread. You have to accept all replys and filter thru the ones you accept and follow and those you chose to ignore. Tom is an experienced modeler who often adds valuable insight to questions asked. Good luck with your project........or is it someone else's project if your hire it out ?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by 52larry52
KC, Sometimes there is hidden wisdom in what on the surface may seem like a smart ***** answer. Once you post a question you are the "OP" but it is not "your" thread. You have to accept all replys and filter thru the ones you accept and follow and those you chose to ignore. Tom is an experienced modeler who often adds valuable insight to questions asked. Good luck with your project........or is it someone else's project if your hire it out ?
I guess nobody buys used planes either. everyone builds their own, right?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
52larry52

KC, Used airplanes are sometimes a good buy for the price and I have bought a few used cars.... errrrr, I mean used model airplanes over the years. That option is something to consider but be aware that almost never is a "ready to fly" used airplane really "ready to fly". More often than not there is a flaw or two to be addressed before take off is wise. I am talking a functional flaw not hanger rash. So even shopping "wise" it's a crap shoot and you should always plan on some set up and systems check before heading to the field. I have been doing this for a while but I still seam to have "rose colored glasses" on when I buy a used plane. They all turn out to need more work than I expected, and if you're new at this it makes it even harder to shop wise. A good experienced, honest buddy from your local club can help. Keep your options open. What kind of trainer have you been flying that makes you feel that jumping to a low wing sport/aerobatic plane like the extra 300 is a good idea?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Tom Nied

KC, I didn't mean to add negativity to your thread. Just was commenting on what would really be a solution to your original question. I've got ARF's even a couple of RTF's. I think what you need is a shop that will take your ARF and build it for you. Beware though you could be handing your project over to some teenager who may not even know how to complete an ARF properly. You can do whatever you want. I bought one model from a fellow modeler because I needed a CL airplane and I still have it. So it's possible to buy a model from another modeler and have a solid plane. But what you are asking is you want someone to take your project and just finish it. I hope that the guy that finishes it for you knows what he's doing. So as I said earlier, you could just sell what you have and just buy an RTF or take 5 years and just complete it yourself. I'd prefer the later, but its your decision. I think the plane you got there is pretty neat. Good luck to you.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:45 AM
KC Air

Thanks Tom, evidently I misinterpreted the spirit of your comment, I apologize for being gruff.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:55 AM
KC Air

KC, Used airplanes are sometimes a good buy for the price and I have bought a few used cars.... errrrr, I mean used model airplanes over the years. That option is something to consider but be aware that almost never is a "ready to fly" used airplane really "ready to fly". More often than not there is a flaw or two to be addressed before take off is wise. I am talking a functional flaw not hanger rash. So even shopping "wise" it's a crap shoot and you should always plan on some set up and systems check before heading to the field. I have been doing this for a while but I still seam to have "rose colored glasses" on when I buy a used plane. They all turn out to need more work than I expected, and if you're new at this it makes it even harder to shop wise. A good experienced, honest buddy from your local club can help. Keep your options open. What kind of trainer have you been flying that makes you feel that jumping to a low wing sport/aerobatic plane like the extra 300 is a good idea?
Without going into great detail, I have about 80 hours on a simulator flying an extra 300. I can fly inverted, do cuban 8s, knife edge, touch n go, etc.. and land the 26 lb plane soft as a feather. I know it will be different in real life with wind, nerves, and such, but fully expect to be able to take off, circle the field, and land safely in my new plane. All of the experienced guys at the field agree that I have the skills to fly way more plane than I have. After a guy trimmed out my Apprentice, I solo'd and landed with the SAFE system turned off. Nobody else has taught me anything, and I can hear them talking while I fly. They say I am a natural :-). I have since taken my plane out several times, no help from anyone, up and down no problem. Even cross-wind landings. Maybe I will crash this plane.. but I am not a kid, nor do I feel like I need to show off. I will be flying this plane very conservatively, and slowly get the courage to try loops and rolls, and move on from there. I have no intention of doing anything fancy any time soon, but I need way more plane than I had up until I bought the Extra.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:39 AM
52larry52

KC, Sounds like you're going in with your head on straight. Don't be afraid to get someone with experience on extras to be your co-pilot on the maiden and on a flight or two until you see how comfortable you feel flying it. You want the plane to survive it's first flight and your transition from trainers. You are making several advances all in one plane; #1 high wing to low wing, this plane will not be as naturally stable as your Apprentice,#2 tricycle gear to taildragger, makes no difference in the air but a whole different technique with takeoffs and landings and even taxiing is needed,#3 non scale to scale, the Extra 300 is a scale(or at least semi-scale) model of a real airplane, won't be as gentle a flyer and won't fly itself,#4 the extra 300 will fly faster and "things" will happen quicker and it will continue to go where it was last pointed until you the pilot tells it to do something else. I throw these thoughts out so you can keep them in mind as you prepare for and execute your plan. Good luck and happy landings.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 AM
52larry52

KC, After walking away for lunch and thinking about your plans I did a little research on your Apprentice trainer. I flew one several years ago for a fellow at my club field. He was having problems flying it he said, so I flew it and trimmed it out for him. His plane was a "POS" having been crashed multiple times, glued back together and nothing was straight or in trim, and I wasn't sure of the c/g. No wonder he was having trouble! That was my memory of an Apprentice, I couldn't remember if the plane's frame was a foamy, a stick built wood plane, glo or electric! Well I just refreshed my memory of an Apprentice on the Horizon Hobby site, and yes, it's an electric foamy with a 59" wing span weighing just a tick over 3 lbs. Your target plane the GP Extra 300 is a wooden stick built plane with a 55" wingspan weighing 5.5-6.5 lbs. WOW!!!! That's even a bigger jump than I realized. I am about to be the "Wet Blanket" and rain on your parade. Yes, I am going to advise you to select an intermediate step airplane before you go for the Extra. I know you don't want to hear that, but I can't in good conscience not say it. It's ADVICE you didn't request, so take it or leave it. Shop and consider a Sig Four Star, 40 or 60 size (54" or 64" wingspan). It's a much better first low wing plane. It's a low wing taildragger that is quite aerobatic yet is easy to fly and land. You will not soon out grow it and it will give you that missing step in learning to then go to the Extra 300. When you get good with the 4 Star you will then be qualified and comfortable going to an Extra. I'll tell you what, buy them both and just don't fly the extra first. That may sound like extra expense to buy another plane before the Extra but in the long run it isn't, because if you go right to the 6 lb Extra 300 you're most likely going to rekit it ( crash it back into sticks). Please think about it, it's a pay me now or pay me later deal. And 4 stars are fun to fly. Your choice.

Last edited by 52larry52; 07-05-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-05-2015, 10:53 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unfortunate thing about that extra is it will tip stall easily on landing.You need to be able to tell when an airplane is going to do that so you can add power You cant learn that on the simulator.I would recommend you get a small foamy electric extra and learn to land it. It will be easy tofix it
Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by KC Air
Newb here, excited about the hobby, ready to move past a trainer plane. I am looking at the Great Planes Extra 300 SP (link below)

I do not have room for a shop in my home, and dont want to try to do this at the kitchen table. Who (within 50 miles of KC) could build this for me, and what would you charge?
I will supply the ARF kit, electric motor, ESC/BEC, rx, servos. Hopefully you will supply the tools, supplies, and know how.

Thanks for reading my post.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVVG4&P=ML
KC,
Send me a PM with your contact information. I'm out of town at an event this week, but will be back in town next Sunday. I've built and flown a lot of Extras up to and including a 3M CompArf that I'm flying now. If you've got the basics of flying, we'll get you in the air with your new one. If you fly Jr/Spektrum we can get you up on a buddy cord if that would make you feel more comfortable. I don't have a lot of time for building right now, but I have some local friends that I'm sure will help out. It's been a while since I've messed with glow engines, but again, we can get that sorted out.
This hobby is full of kind and helpful people who share your love for model aviation.
Paul
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
KC Air

KC, After walking away for lunch and thinking about your plans I did a little research on your Apprentice trainer. I flew one several years ago for a fellow at my club field. He was having problems flying it he said, so I flew it and trimmed it out for him. His plane was a "POS" having been crashed multiple times, glued back together and nothing was straight or in trim, and I wasn't sure of the c/g. No wonder he was having trouble! That was my memory of an Apprentice, I couldn't remember if the plane's frame was a foamy, a stick built wood plane, glo or electric! Well I just refreshed my memory of an Apprentice on the Horizon Hobby site, and yes, it's an electric foamy with a 59" wing span weighing just a tick over 3 lbs. Your target plane the GP Extra 300 is a wooden stick built plane with a 55" wingspan weighing 5.5-6.5 lbs. WOW!!!! That's even a bigger jump than I realized. I am about to be the "Wet Blanket" and rain on your parade. Yes, I am going to advise you to select an intermediate step airplane before you go for the Extra. I know you don't want to hear that, but I can't in good conscience not say it. It's ADVICE you didn't request, so take it or leave it. Shop and consider a Sig Four Star, 40 or 60 size (54" or 64" wingspan). It's a much better first low wing plane. It's a low wing taildragger that is quite aerobatic yet is easy to fly and land. You will not soon out grow it and it will give you that missing step in learning to then go to the Extra 300. When you get good with the 4 Star you will then be qualified and comfortable going to an Extra. I'll tell you what, buy them both and just don't fly the extra first. That may sound like extra expense to buy another plane before the Extra but in the long run it isn't, because if you go right to the 6 lb Extra 300 you're most likely going to rekit it ( crash it back into sticks). Please think about it, it's a pay me now or pay me later deal. And 4 stars are fun to fly. Your choice.
Larry - the Sig 4 Star 54 airframe costs the same as the Extra (which came today). I dont see the advantage to buying the Sig if the loss in a crash would be the same. It sounds like you are saying I will have a hard time adjusting to the weight of the Extra after flying the Apprentice. It is actually the other way around. I spend so much time flying the 26 lb extra on the sim that the foamy feels like a butterfly that wants to keep on flying, it has to be forced down. Landing the Extra is smooth and easy, floats down like a feather.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 PM
52larry52

KC, You missed my point. My goal was for you to NOT lose either aircraft. No destroyed airplanes, no money lost ! My suggested approach was for you to gain valuable knowledge and experience with the Four Star so that you would be much less likely to have difficulty flying the Extra and suffer it's loss. If all went well you would end up with two nice low wing planes in your hanger. (no one has just one airplane in their hanger and I suspect you are done with the trainer) Cost of one plane verses the other was not a factor, as neither was to be sacrificed. But, no matter, it was just a suggestion. You don't see the need for another step before moving to the Extra and perhaps you are right. Time will tell. It looks like M3Baker is going take you under his wing and that help from a local experienced Extra flyer may be all the assistance you need. Again time will tell. Good luck and keep us posted on your results when do that Extra maiden.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
KC Air

Thanks Larry, I do appreciate your input. It was always my plan to get as much help as I could. I study everything in detail, and am happy to learn from the experienced.

Will this thread say posted even if people stop commenting? or do they kill them after a period of inactivity? I promise that whatever way the maiden turns out, I will come back here and talk about it. I am not afraid to say so when I screw up :-) It may be awhile though, I do not have money for servos at this time. It is possible that it will be Thanksgiving before I get this bird up.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 PM
52larry52

KC, Yes, the thread will still be here whenever you come back later. You will have to do a search for it as it will have been pushed way back and would be hard to find. As soon as anyone makes a new post in the thread it will come back to the front with the active threads. I am glad to see you will give us an honest result report of your attempt. Do get hooked up with M3Baker as his help is your best bet for success.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with getting a model built by someone else. It happens all the time. If you supply the kit and all materials needed to get the airplane in the air and you give the assembler a complete kit as payment, you're getting away very inexpensively. Paying $200-$300 for most non-trainer ARF models would be "ball park", since you can count on at least 10 hours, minimum, for a full ARF kit and the assembly price will be due to the hourly rate the assembler will charge.

Find the assembler/builder, negotiate the price and you'll be "good to go". Just don't expect anything really cheap. Remember: "Cheap, good, fast: Pick two!"
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

KC, Bax is right about using a builder and it's really quite common among the Scale crowd, IMAC birds and Turbines. So don't let these guys tell you that you're missing out on "half the fun" because putting this stuff together can be a project, kit building is worse and scratch building I consider to be a form of masochism.... lol

Any way, I paid someone to put this together for me and there are two more models in the basement of my collection which were assembled by someone else. Remember, the idea is to have fun and if it isn't fun, don't do it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-Run.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2107946  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.