Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 Carbon Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 Carbon Cub

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hanger 9 Carbon Cub

I was wondering if anybody has one of the new Hanger 9 carbon Cubs . I looks like its going to be a popular plane .It was only in stock for a short time before it was sold out and back on backorder . I talked to my local hobby shop and he has two comming in but they are presold . He said that the next batch should be back in stock around the 17 of March . I have ordered one now ,like I need another Cub . I am thinking about putting my DLE 20 in it . It will be a little over powered but I expect to put this plane on floats and use it mostly for flying off the water . I wonder about their float set that they have for this plane . I wonder if they are an improvment over the 1/4 scale ones . They look much the same .. Any input will be apreciated ..
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bikerbc, You ordered one? I think I'am jealous ! Yes, I know i am ! I spotted this plane's announcement about two weeks after pulling the trigger on a 90" Phoenix Super Cub, the white and blue one (like I needed another Cub). I wish I had waited and gone for the H-9 Carbon Cub even though it's more money. I am plugging along with the Super Cub but I am less than thrilled with some of the crude aspects of this ARF. The basic structure is nicely lazer cut but the interior and the firewall/engine mount area can only be called crudely done. Both were poorly hand painted with what looks like gray house paint, and both have multiple spots that need additional glue and filling and sanding for an acceptable finished look. I've got the cockpit area all smoothed and repainted and started on the firewall and motor mounts today. Nothing in the cockpit or firewall fit up without being redone. IE, the simple 2 piece nylon motor mount would not even come close to fitting on the firewall without cutting out wood and large chunks of hot glue to get the mount base to fit flush. They held the upper door half closed with 2 screws, I made a latch system. The blue side stripes were different side to side and not straight. I bought a roll of matching blue covering and redid them. The instrument panel is not correct scale Cub, I dressed it up with an upper edge padded crash pad (cockpit combing). There was no "V" frame bars in the front canopy, there is now! The main landing gear has uncovered big coil "door springs" showing (ugly), I'll make covers. The main gear wheel are made out of some kind of hard plastic, it now has Du-bro inflatable smooth tundra tires. And on and on. I expect, on any ARF, to upgrade and redo some stuff but this one has worn me out with too many items not usable out of the box. I'll plug along and make a nice plane out of it, BUT I should have waited and ordered (I didn't know about it then) the H-9 Carbon Cub. So, like I said....I'am jealous ! Let us know how the carbon Cub is when you receive it. Before it's over I may have to order yet another Cub. Is there such a thing as "too many Cubs" ?

Last edited by 52larry52; 03-14-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM
bikerbc

This will will be an even dozen flying for me when this one is in the air plus I have two in the bones that I need to cover so I guess you are rite , It seems there is always room for one more espially if its a nice one .
Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

I have one on order with floats and while I am sure a 20 will fly it nicely I have a 35 I would like to try. I wonder if there would be room for the cowl to fit.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 PM
bikerbc

I wondered if my 20 was going to fit . It is set up for one of those new Evolution 15cc gas motors . I was hoping the 20 might fit because it is a beam mount and not much larger disp. than they are suggesting . It looks like You and I will be the Guiney pigs Wiskey Bravo . I will post my results when I get mine and hope you will do the same . I am very interested in the floats.. I have bought two sets of the 1/4 scale ones and been very disapointed with them . The customer support has more than made up for it though . I hope they have taken the oportunity to beef up their new 1/5 scale floats . I will most likley build my own out of solid styro foam . I have a buddy that will hot wire out the blanks for me so all I need to do is finish them . I do think that your 35 will be a bit too big to fit unless you lose about 1/4 of your cowl .I think the 35 would also be overpowered ,I think it would be better suited to a 1/4 scale . It may work out well for balance though and why add lead when you can add power that you don't have to use . If you already have one it is worth a try .
Old 03-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Whiskey Bravo

bikerbc, I had a GP 85" Citabria with a 35 that was a good flying airplane and with very similar dimensions to the Carbon Cub. I think with the added weight/drag of the floats it might be a good setup on the cub. Time will tell.
I know about the poor quality of the floats but I just had a thought that maybe the floats for the Avistar ARF at Tower would work as I have seen them and they appear to be well built and of similar size.

Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 03-16-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM
bikerbc

Thanks for your input Whisky Bravo . Did you order the Avstar floats ? It sounds like you could be on the rite track in the power dept. I lost a PA18 due to lack of power . I was using one of the recomended power plants too . So using the biggest powerplant you can fit in is better than running underepowered in my opinion I am just finishing up my second PA18 and in this one I am trying the VVRC 40 twin which seems to be a popular engine espially to the float flyers. Mine will be used with floats quite often . It will depend on how well I like it on floats , I have four 1/4 scale Cubs so dedicating one to water use will depend on a few different things . How easy it is to set up , how much power it has the visability etc etc...
Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 AM
Whiskey Bravo

I haven't ordered the Avistar floats yet but a friend just received his with floats so I will be looking them over for build quality. Wow four 1/4 scale Cubs, my first full scale was a 1941 Cub with a full restoration. In retrospect that was the most fun flying of all the airplanes I have had the good fortune to fly/own even if the semis would pass you up in a headwind. I have been thinking about a VVRC 40 in something like a Cub/PA18 on floats. Which PA18 are you putting it in?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 AM
bikerbc

The Hanger 9 PA18 . its actually a pretty nice plane for an ARF but I still like a kit built better .
Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Whiskey Bravo

Any mods you had to perform on the PA18 especially as relates to mounting the twin? Whose 1/4 scale Cubs are you flying and what power plants?

Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 03-17-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
bikerbc

The twin fit into the PA18 better than any of the suggested motors that I have seen . I had the G26 and had to cut a lot out of the bottom of the cowl . The VVRC has two versions ,one with small plugs fit into the head on an angle and one with regular plugs set strait . You want the small plug version and it fits completly inside the cowl . It is an easy install . I have a BUSA 1/4 Scale Cub with a OS 160 gemini Twin in it . That looks so cool with the heads and exaust pipes sticking out the sides of the cowl . The only thing I don't really care for about that plane is how the wings mount . You need to get at the wing bolts from inside the cockpit, other than that it is a great flying plane . I think my favorite is my sig 1/4 Cub with anOS 120 in it . It has lots of power ,is easy to set up easy to fly . I have one Sig dedicated to floats also ,Its a bit tired and needs some time in the shop . I was hoping that the PA18 would take its place but unforunatly I did enough damage in a crash that I did't feel like reparing it so I am just finishing up my second one . I keep looking at the first one . I have two good wings and half the fuse and the tail .I could still rebuild her ..
Old 03-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Whiskey Bravo

Since you have a 40 twin can you advise how much the cylinder heads would project outside the cowl on say the Hanger 9 Cub? Might look kinda cool (no pun intended) however getting the cowl on and off past the heads could be a real problem.
What mufflers are you using on the 40?

Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 03-17-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM
bikerbc

The Hanger 9 Cub is a Super Cub . The Cowl is much wider ,the cyl heads do not stick out side at all .
Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Whiskey Bravo

I understand I guess I wasn't clear. I just thought that because you have the engine and therefore the dimensions and a H9 Cub you might be able to advise how much the cylinders would protrude.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:47 AM
bikerbc

If you were to purchace a Hanger 9 J3 Cub its cowl is not as wide as the Super Cub . The Twin's cylinder heads would stick out about 3/4 of an inch . enough that the exhaust pipes would have room to stick out too . As too the mufflers on the 40 ,it comes with two mufflers . I will be using them .They exit the exhaust out the bottom of the cowl through two small holes .

Last edited by bikerbc; 03-18-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Whiskey Bravo

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM
andyclark

Just received my carbon cub, do you guys think a saito 182t would be too much motor for it? What about a saito 100t? Not enough? My last option would be an a.s.p. 160t interested in your views.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM
althepal88

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
Since you have a 40 twin can you advise how much the cylinder heads would project outside the cowl on say the Hanger 9 Cub? Might look kinda cool (no pun intended) however getting the cowl on and off past the heads could be a real problem.
What mufflers are you using on the 40?
I just cut an old Hang 9 J3 cowl in half and held it up to one of my 1/4 pounders to see how they would look. Not too cool; the jugs sit further back due to the longer crankshaft so the prop hub still sticks out. Then you would need their 2 into 1 header system and cut it way down. Better to put the VVRC 40 on and then adapt a Super Cub cowl (paint it yellow, of course) to the J-3. Check on the Hangar 9 PA-18 forum for pics. Hey, this is the Carbon Cub forum!!
Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM
althepal88

I have the new Cub still in the box (it is waiting its turn in line). I WAS going to use the OSGGT15, but after checking many things out like needle valve placement and air-cooling problems, I've decided to throw a DLE 20 RA on instead. Probably too much power, but I'll just set the carb to about half way for wide open. Curious to see what some of you guys run and the plusses and minuses of each.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM
althepal88

I haven't noticed any activity on this thread in a while. I set the DLE 20 to the fuse and cowl, and figured that it was going to take a lot to make this work. The lower half of the cowl will be butchered. So, I found an EVO 15cc and will go with that. This is not a very big a/c so the 20cc would have been off the chart. I just hate it when Hangar 9 designs an aircraft around their engines..............like the 20cc Tiger Moth and then they dropped the Evo engine that was recommended from their lineup. But, they build a fantastic airplane.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 AM
bikerbc

althepal88 I am disappointed to hear that the DLE 20 is a no go . That is what I was planning on using . I am still waiting as my plane is still on back order . I noticed in the pictures of the Cub with the Evo 15 installed that the muffler that was being used was sort of a square looking unit that fit under the motor mount . Not the same muffler that is displayed in the Evo 15's display spec page . I was wondering if you knew if you could use the stock muffler or would you need to purchase a special muffler? How bad do you need to butcher the cowal ? I already have a DLE 20 . If I had known that I was going to need to purchase an Evo. special for this plane I might have rethought ordering one . My buddy just bought one and the first one failed so was replaced and the second one he was unable to keep the muffler tight on it so he lost the muffler . The muffler cost I think it was $90.00 . So I am at this point a wee bit shy of Evo. engines . His second engine does run smooth as silk an has lot of power . Its the Evo. 33 . Anyway I would really like to know if I do get an Evolution 15 GX am I going to still need a muffler ?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 PM
althepal88

I will check it out tomorrow, as I have the optional muffler along with the stock one. I have been hearing from different friends of mine that lost the muffler bolts on their DLE 30 ra's, but haven't heard about the loss on a 20, yet. The muffler that is described cost's $46.00 from Horizon. The DLE may fit, but you will have to do some surgery on the mounts and of course, the cowl. The fellow that I bought my DLE 20ra from also sold me the EVO 15; said that he didn't have enough power from the Evo to get his into the air with floats. I'll send his information tomorrow as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:25 AM
althepal88

The DLE measures 5 1/2 inches from the hub to an open choke butterfly. The manual calls for 5 3/8 inches, firewall to hub. You would have to enlarge the firewall hole for air for the carb, then move the tank further back. It can be done, but you will still have to cut the bottom of the cowl out. As for the muffler for the 15 evo, it is the same muffler (Bisson) that is used on the 61 two stroke evo (and the OS and Mag). The square muff fits inside the cowl (I like) . The stock muffler will not clear. The engine mounts sideways so things are tight in there. I asked a fellow CC owner to chime in on this forum. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:55 AM
bikerbc

I don't like the sounds of the Evo 15 having not enough power to get it off the water on floats , even if marginal I would sooner have more power . My DLE 20 is the side exhaust one so I would probably have to mount it up side down and remove the most of the bottom of the cowl . As for opening up the firewall I will deal with that too I guess . I am sure having second thoughts about this plane .
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bikrebc, Sorry to hear you're "having seconds thoughts about this plane". Two months ago I was having "second thoughts" about the Phoenix Super Cub I was assembling and expressed envy for not buying the H-9 Carbon Cub. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I think the problem is that many ARFs are made to be too versatile , gas , glo, or electric powered and don't really hit the nail on the head well for anyone. Unlike a kit you build and custom fit for your power choice as you build it ( and other extra options such as hard points for floats, reinforcements, custom landing gear, etc.) it's a one size fits all, and really doesn't fit anyone. I liken it ( building/assembling an ARF) to building a ship in a bottle. The bottle is already built and you are trying to build a airplane that meets your needs and quality standards inside that "bottle" (the semi completed, covered airframe). The appeal of the nicely covered, good looking ARF, is the eye candy that sucks us in to not kit building and going with an ARF. I do both ARFs and kits, and I know you do too, and it's more ARFs than kits these days, but I grumble about something on every ARF I do. Sometimes it's a lot things to grumble about and I swear "no more ARFs", but of course the next good looking one that comes along gets bought. The fact that the ARF is cheaper than the cost to kit build a similar airframe is the other draw. Keep plugging along on the Carbon Cub, accept the irritations of the ARF and as you know, with enough of your improvements you will have another nice Cub in the fleet. I can now be so high and mighty (above all the ARF frustrations) cause today I completed my "Cub from hell", the Phoenix Super Cub, and will maiden it on Sunday. Four and a half months (on and off) to complete an ARF ! Lots of improvements and scale details added and now it looks like a million bucks. I'll let you know how it flys.

Last edited by 52larry52; 05-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.