Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

phoenix supercub control throws

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

phoenix supercub control throws

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM
roscoerc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phoenix supercub control throws

assembling a 90" supercub the manual lists throws for elevator and aileron as 8mm on low rate and 10mm on high the elevator thickness is about 3/8", which would give it very little travel. maybe it should be 18mm on high rate? if anyone has flown one, please give me your opinion on how it flies thanks Dave
Old 03-08-2017, 06:39 PM
DStone

I also thought those throws were way too low when I built my Phoenix Super Cub, so I looked up the recommended throws for the Sig 1/5 scale Cub. They are: 1" up and 3/4" down for ailerons, 1" each way for the elevators, and 1-3/4" each way for the rudder. I set my low rates to those values and the Super Cub flies very well. The high rates are just however far they moved after being hooked up. The Cub is powered by an inverted O.S. 1.20 4-stroke and weighs 13 pounds 9 ounces without the pilot figure. I am quite pleased with how it flies. Loops and rolls look good, but I haven't tried spins or inverted flight yet. The stock wheels are very hard foam and were replaced with Dubro Big Wheels. Also, I relaced the aluminum pins and spring clips that secure the lower end of the wing struts with screws and lock nuts.
Duncan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230039.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2204558  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM
roscoerc

Duncan, thanks for the info. that's right about where I was going to start. did you use the CG that the manual gives? about 3 3/4 from the LE? I'm using a DLE 20, and with both batteries wedged under the dash on either side of the tank, I still had to put about 4 oz on the motor mount. I like the idea of using bolts on the lower strut mount, the pins seem kinda flimsy. thanks for your help Dave
Old 03-11-2017, 12:13 PM
DStone

I used the specified CG and my plane balanced spot on without having to add any weight anywhere. The receiver and battery pack are mounted on the shelf behine the cockpit. Also, I have an onboard glo-lighter with a 1300 mah nicad located in the cooling air duct on the bottom of the fuselage just to the rear of the firewall. That added some weight forward.
Duncan
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roscoerc, Sorry for being a few days late responding to your request for control throw information for your Phoenix Super Cub as I have been off line for the past 2 1/2 weeks while on an RV vacation down in your neck of the woods ( Florida- Pine Island near you, Key West, Titusville, and other "warm spots"). Yes, the control specs given in the instructions are way to small. Please refer to my posts in this "ARF" forum, in the "New hanger 9 Carbon Cub" thread, posts #27 and #28 for my trials and ultimate success with this model.