ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig 4 Star 64 build help!

Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
queasyflier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig 4 Star 64 build help!

Building the 64 for Nitro (OS.61). Manual shows throttle servo in middle and no pic for linkage exit in firewall(should be on right side for nitro). Is this correct? Also no pic for battery and RX placement. Any thoughts?

PS: Some sites point to horizontal stab failure. Should it be reinforced?
Any help on this ARF build would be appreciated.
KennyG.
Queasyrider@hotmail.com
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I have a 4 Star 64 that has been flown 3 seasons as my "beater", and it's held up well. Mine has a 15cc gas engine, and the horizontal stab has not been a problem.
Yes, the throttle will be on the right (pilots perspective) with a 2 stroke glow engine. After mounting the engine, you then mark the firewall and drill a hole for the throttle pushrod inline with the throttle arm.
A good place for the receiver is on the servo tray, right in front of the elevator and rudder servo. Today's receivers weigh so little that they have negligible affect on the CG of the plane.
The receiver battery location is determined by how the plane balances. Mine was nose heavy due to the heavier gas engine and ignition module, so it's mounted just behind the wing to balance the plane. Your setup will more likely balance with the battery up in the fuel tank compartment. You just got to experiment with battery placement to get the plane to balance correctly.
The 4 Star 64 is a great flying plane, so enjoy.
My 4 Star 64 was preceded by an old 4 Star 60 that's expiration date came due
The 4 Star 60 is a "build" the 4 Star 64 ARF is assembled
Pete
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 PM
queasyflier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Pete: did you do anything besides gluing the horizontal stab. as per the manual? It seems to me that the gluing surface of attachment to the fuse. is very skimpy! I'm thinking of putting in two small blind nuts and bolts as added security. It might require opening the fuse from the back first for access, but may be worth the piece of mind, Your thoughts? .
Old 02-03-2017, 08:08 PM
bobsrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some of the early Four Star 64s had a too small and soft wire joiner between the elevator halves which let the right side of the elevator flutter if the airspeed got too high. This is what was breaking the stab. and this was fixed a couple of years ago. I haven't had any complaints since then. If you strip the covering away from the glue joint area on the stab and fuselage and make a good glue joint you won't need to put any bolts in the back to beef up that joint. Good luck, Bob at Sig
Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 PM
queasyflier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Bob: I may put in small blind nuts and bolts anyway just to snug down the stab so the epoxy makes a good bond. With the OS.61 I'll be using which is on the lower end of nitro power recommendations, would you advise I mount the engine at the very forward edge of the rails for better balance or follow the manual to the letter? Also does the 4.8 RX battery mount on the plate with the oval cutouts in front of the servos or should I build another plate for in front of that one for balance. If you have any pix of 2 stroke builds (especially routing the throttle servo wire) I would appreciate. If I have any further questions, I'll call the office on Monday.
Have a good weekend,
Ken
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Checklst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hears a few pic of my 4star60 with the vvrc 20 stuffed in.........she flys great. the throttle was a pia.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 AM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

queasyflier where abouts are you on Long Island??
I fly with the suffolk aeromodelers.

Search this Thread