Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Bucker Jungmeister Just Shipped!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Bucker Jungmeister Just Shipped!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Bullseye52
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bucker Jungmeister Just Shipped!

Just got notified from Becky at SIG that my long awaited Bucker Jungmeister has shipped. This is the one in the "Bevo Howard" color scheme. I'll post some pics of the un boxing when it gets here. Power is going to be a YS 1.40DZ (I know go ahead and laugh but I did not want to go gas or electric when I had this engine on the shelf) should be plenty of oomph for the Bucker. I am also ordering graphics from Callie Graphics that will duplicate Bevo's plane, to include the "history panel" that would go on the left lower wing. Anyway here's a stock pic.

Happy Flying

Bullseye52
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucker Jungmeister.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	2087142  
Old 04-08-2015, 02:46 PM
shooboy
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool ! I've been drooling over my keyboard thinking about one of those. Looking forward to your findings..... Shoo
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM
DJR18045
My Feedback: (2)

Be interestiing to see how you handle those Alley Oop size interplane struts!

Other than a few flags and the history panel, how do the graphics differ from what's on the plane? It was my understanding that the infor panel was only added after the rebuild following Bevo's death in the crash..

What are you getting from Callie and how much are the charging?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Bullseye52

The interplane struts(logs) will be replaced with airfoiled aluminum tubing, I've done that before and it's pretty easy. Just remember to measure twice and cut once! Callie did not give me a price on the history panel but she's always very reasonable. Not much else to get besides some international flags and the Bucker Jungmeister name graphic. Yes, the history panel was on Bevo's plane when he was flying it. It shows up in several pics of him and the plane. Not sure if I'll make the wings removable as they show, maybe something a little more standard, we'll see.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 PM
DJR18045

Originally Posted by Bullseye52
The interplane struts(logs) will be replaced with airfoiled aluminum tubing, I've done that before and it's pretty easy. Just remember to measure twice and cut once! Callie did not give me a price on the history panel but she's always very reasonable. Not much else to get besides some international flags and the Bucker Jungmeister name graphic. Yes, the history panel was on Bevo's plane when he was flying it. It shows up in several pics of him and the plane. Not sure if I'll make the wings removable as they show, maybe something a little more standard, we'll see.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
OK.... I've use that airfoil tubing myself before. Was my first thought! I'll do the same.

Let me know what she wants for it. Did you have the history panel to send as camera ready art? If its reasonable I may just do the same.

I was thinking of a DLE-20RA for engine. I looked at the butchery job you have to do in the pdf copy of the manual ( god it was gross). I think that one may work without a ton of cutting. Seems more than enough power.

If you'd like them for any reason, I have about 10 very hi rez pictures I took at Uvar Hazy of the plane about 3 weeks ago. Its hanging up in the rafters of course, but I did the best I could. Lighting wasnt that great but I understand they are doing a lighting upgrade throughout.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Bullseye52

I have a .jpg file on the panel that I will send her. Callie wanted me to get the plane and measure the area where the panel will go, then she will take what I send her and make the graphic. I agree on butchering the cowl to get a gasser installed is a little disappointing, I'll still have to cut for the YS but not as bad. Thanks for the offer of the pics, I'd like to see them. I grew up watching Bevo fly from time to time at the Charleston airport. here is the pic of the panel I have.

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52

Name:	buhist.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2087734  
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM
DJR18045

Bevo Howards' Jungmeister at Uvar-Hazy NASM a few weeks ago.

Name:	bucker4.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2087778   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucker5.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2087779   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucker6.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2087780   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucker8.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2087781   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucker1.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2087782  
The following users liked this post:
apereira (03-16-2022)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 AM
DJR18045

I have a .jpg file on the panel that I will send her. Callie wanted me to get the plane and measure the area where the panel will go, then she will take what I send her and make the graphic. I agree on butchering the cowl to get a gasser installed is a little disappointing, I'll still have to cut for the YS but not as bad. Thanks for the offer of the pics, I'd like to see them. I grew up watching Bevo fly from time to time at the Charleston airport. here is the pic of the panel I have.

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52
You'll notice the Smithsonian added a line or two of text to this during the restoration I assume.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Bullseye52

Well finally unboxed the Bucker and I was impressed with the quality of the parts. The cowl, landing gear, wings... all done perfectly. The parts feel light as well. The only totally wrong thing are the decals. They leave a lot to be desired and I will exile them to my junk box. I ordered the complete set (including the history panel) from Callie-Graphics for $40.00! For those wanting to know it appears the plane is done in 1/4 scale, the real bucker has a ws of 21'8" and that divded by the models 65" ws equals a perfect 1/4 scale. I was thinking of using my YS1.40 but after more consideration, I will probably use an E-flite 1.10 electric motor with a HK "Plush" BEC coupled with an 8S lipo. (Anyone want a nice YS cheap?). The cabane struts came white with the kit, so they'll have to be painted red. I'll try to get some pics of all the parts spread out after I unwrap everything.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM
DJR18045

I ordered mine on Monday, so I assume it will be here in a week or so, unless they sold out at Toledo. A friend saw it at Toldeo and said it was really very nice, and looked quite well made.

So the basic markings like the stripes and checkerboards are applied ( are the serial numbers on are they part of the decals?), and the decal type graphics are shipped to be applied by the customer? I'll look at it when it comes but I guess I'll try that Callie graphics also. $40 you say?

I have a DLE 20RA which should fit nicely.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Bullseye52

Yes the checkerboard and stripes are applied. The decals, which include Bevo's name and the serial numbers, in the kit are really not usable in my opinion. Callie will do the package (numbers, lettering, logo) for $40, and she does great work! The DLE20RA sounds like a great fit! I'll let you know if her graphics are the right fit (guess I'm the beta tester on this one).

Last edited by Bullseye52; 04-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM
DJR18045

Yes the checkerboard and stripes are applied. The decals, which include Bevo's name and the serial numbers, in the kit are really not usable in my opinion. Callie will do the package (numbers, lettering, logo) for $40, and she does great work! The DLE20RA sounds like a great fit! I'll let you know if her graphics are the right fit (guess I'm the beta tester on this one).
Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have joined the Seagull Bucker club with the Bevo Howard version. Here's my thoughts so far.

Overall a very stunning model, covering is pretty good but there are few things to be aware of. The red sunburst is some type of self adhesive material. It's very sensitive to heat, do not use an iron on it without using a sock on your iron and no more than 300 degrees, it'll melt otherwise. The checkboard covering also heat sensitive, again do not use a lot of heat or a bare iron on it, you must use a sock.

The checkerboard on the bottom of the bottom wing is far too small. The checks are 1" squares and if you look at pics of the Howard Bucker, the checks are very large.

Totally agree about the interplane struts, they're huge! Gonna have to fix that. The struts on the full scale are not airfoiled like the K&S streamlined aluminum stock, They're basically flat with rounded edges. I would think that some laminated aircraft plywood would work well without too much effort to make.

The wing bracing is also configured incorrectly. Again, look at any full-scale Bucker and it becomes apparent quickly. Very easy change to make on the model.

The grooves in the landing gear blocks aren't quite wide enough or long enough. Overall very pleased so far with the model, I'm probably going to use a 30cc gaser in it.

Bulleye52 - I figured the History log on the wing to be 12" x 5 3/4". What dimension did you figure it to be?

FB
Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Bullseye52

Just getting home,whew what a day! I'll probably get some spruce stock and re-work the interplane struts like FB says. I got my graphics in from Callie and once again she's done a beautiful job. The wingspan of the model equates to 1/4 scale but doing 1/4 scale graphics are a tad bit larger than I would've liked. Callie suggested that I send her a shot of the fuselage with a ruler in the pic so she could better gauge the sizes (I should of done that). FB I believe the 12 x 5 3/4 would be about right. One more major difference is the turtle deck. Bevo must've modified the Bucker as his turtle deck is different from pics I've seen of other Jungmeisters. I could rework it but I'll settle with it being "somewhat" like his (it's at least a tribute). Good Luck guys, I'm sure you'll get yours done before me!

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 AM
Free Bird

Bullseye52, what size did you request for the graphic on the lower left wing? Perhaps Callie could downsize the rest of the graphics based on my smaller dimensions. Do you have any pics of the graphics taped into place on the model so we can see how much they need to be downsized. Thoughts?

FB
Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 AM
Bullseye52

FB, I had Callie do the graphics based on 1/4 scale. I'll tape them in place tonight (or measure them) for you.

Bullsye52
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Free Bird

Thanks Bullseye52!

FB
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM
DJR18045

FB, I had Callie do the graphics based on 1/4 scale. I'll tape them in place tonight (or measure them) for you.

Bullsye52
Yes I would like to see that also.

What is the surface finish of the decals. glossy?

I nevered ordered from Callie. Are they all on one big sheet and you have to cut them out? I'd be a little worried about getting the history panel down without any bubbles.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Free Bird

The decals are vinyl and about the same sheen as UltraCote. Each letter is separate, there's no clear carrier around the the lettering.

FB
Old 04-25-2015, 01:50 PM
DJR18045

Originally Posted by Free Bird
The decals are vinyl and about the same sheen as UltraCote. Each letter is separate, there's no clear carrier around the the lettering.

FB
The history panel also?

btw I found an old be one photo and do see how big the checkerboard is.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Free Bird

Yup, same.

FB
Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM
DJR18045

Did you get the PDF file from Callie? I did. I printed it at actual size. Workmanship is very good. The text panel for the wing looks good, as does the registration numbers.
The problem comes in where the Pilots name and howtown, as well as the flag panel come in. Seagull omitted the pilots headest turtledeck and added strips on their fuselage where it doesnt belong. To be a bit more accurate you'll need to fabricate that part ( turtledeck and headrest and attach it to the top of the fuse. You'll also need to remove the two top red strips from each side.

I'm wondering how successful that would be to take off those red strips without damaging he white covering?

The flag panel and pilot name etc. will not work properly otherwise.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Free Bird

Taking the red trim off shouldn't be a problem. A little heat and it should peel right off. I did get the file and printed it out. It looks pretty good overall, so I'm gonna pull the trigger. Agree about the head rest, as you really look at Bevo's Bucker, it really becomes obvious that the turtledeck shape is off. I think Seagull went with a "generic" Bucker design so they could use different trim schemes. With that being said, I'm just gonna build it and fly it. I still think it's an awesome plane!

FB

Last edited by Free Bird; 04-30-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
davidej

I've been thinking about one of these. At the moment, they only seem available this side of the pond in the Alex Panpana version.

Has anyone got one flying yet? I was thinking of a DLE20 but see that some are suggesting a 30cc
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM
davidej

I've been thinking about one of these. At the moment, they only seem available this side of the pond in the Alex Panpana version.

Has anyone got one flying yet? I was thinking of a DLE20 but see that some are suggesting a 30cc

How does it compare with the Dave Platt 1/4 scale version. This is available here as a laser cut kit. However after allowing for 6-8 yards of solartex, the ARTF would be much cheaper. Does the seagull one look too glossy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.