ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Van's RV-4 30cc ARF 85"

Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM
flypilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From the manual:
The recommended Center of Gravity (CG) location for your model is 5 11/16 – 6 7/16 inches (144 mm–165 mm) behind the leading edge of the wing.
I am right at around 6 inches so one can safely follow the measurments stated in the manual
Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Andy....was going to test fly it today....found out they are having a Pylon race there
Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by flypilot View Post
From the manual:

I am right at around 6 inches so one can safely follow the measurments stated in the manual
I wonder if they changed the manual, I had one of the first kits off the boat and remember pretty clearly it being a set point and not a range and it needed to be quite a bit in front of what they said when flying it w/o an AS3X rx to be how I wanted it to fly.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 AM
flypilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That might be, we all have our preferences on how we want the airplane to behave, and CG ,of course, has a direct impact on this. Best course of action is to experiment with what one likes but be careful with the aft limits as things can get ugly fast.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:38 AM
Fedextim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default spinner size aluminum ? 35 DLE RA For the RV-4 Hanager 9 ??

[QUOTE=Planejaw;12358566]Missing the instrument panel on mine...did anyone else get one? I am using small 1/4" servo-screws to attach the canopy to the removable hatch, instead of glue. I want to be sure I can get back under the canopy when needed.

I also found that when using a 3" servo arm on the rudder servo, it came into contact with the elevator servo arms, so I added spacers to raise the rudder servo and I also flipped the rudder servo in the opposite direction.

Bought a nice aluminum spinner from Tru-Turn. I don't completely trust a plastic spinner for a gasser. Ordered a DLE-40 for the business end. It completely fits within the cowl, with only a small amount of extra trimming for the exhaust tubes and maybe a little to clear the front of the mufflers, on the under-side of the cowl. I'll need to mount the throttle servo underneath and behind the firewall.

Servos are Savox 128TGs and one Align on the rudder. Smart-Fly with three 3200 Mah LiFe packs for power. Good possibility these ships will be tail heavy, so mounting batteries up front...just behind the fuel tank, which is a Roto-Flow 20 oz.what size was the aluminum spinner you got for this plane ?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is a 4-inch, Tru-Turn, P-51 style spinner, cut for a Xoar 20X8 prop.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:15 PM
tailskid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fedextim, check out this review:

Hangar 9 RV-4 with a little history
Old 09-27-2018, 11:00 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did anyone use a different, more scale looking pilot? If so, do you have any pictures and where it's from. Just got my RV-4 this morning
Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pilot isn't bad IMO
But if you want something spiffy, warbirdpilots.com has civilian pilots that look good
Old 09-28-2018, 05:48 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I'm thinking of putting in a DLE-35 rear exhaust on the RV and was wondering if anyone else has used one and do you have any pictures of the install? I'd like to use a twin but I hate cutting up cowls anymore than I have to.

Jason
Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 PM
tailskid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out post #57 for a link.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got one of these recently as a Chrstimas present to myself, being a batchelor these days I can induldge without a nagging SHMBO gettting the crankypants.
Seems to be faily good quaility though the covering has started to wrinkle up, not a bggie as I will hit it with a hardryer and hot glove once I am finished.
Small amount of damage to the upright support on some of the ribs near the aileron hatch, looks to be from pressure applied during manufacture or something pressing weight into that area. I patched it with double thickness of 1/8th balsa with the grain going vertically.
H9 hardware is pretty ordinary, the threads on the rods in particular. Will see how they work out.
Using the stock Evo 33GX petrol on for simplicity sake and will add a choke servo.
Throttle linkage has been changed to nylon rod and dubro 2-56 ball links. I'll use the H9 throttle rod for the choke but with a dubro 2-56 ball link on the choke arm.

Still contemplating replacing the H9 clevises.

Hoping to get it all completed over this week and Saturday and look forward to flying it. Should be a fun plane for Sundays fun.

cheers
P

Last edited by planenutzz; 01-15-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:06 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bit more progress last night.
- fuel tank and dubro large scale fuel port installed
- ignition system installed, still to complete the opto kill switch install
- battery monitors for Rx & ignition plus the ignition LED - will combine the leaqds into a single 6 pin MPX connector.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Planejaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking good. Keep us posted when you get her up in the air.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:20 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will do mate. I was going to fit MPX connectors for the cockpit battery monitors and ignation LED plus the wing to fuz leads but the black hole in my shed ate my supply of them. Off to get some after work today. Mutter, mutter, mutter
Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM
maukaonyx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am working on one of these planes now too. Most of my servos and control linkages are in place, just not the throttle one because my next step is installing the DLE-35. Looking for the distance from firewall to prop plate, I found none in the manual. At the early part of this thread, someone said 7". I would just like to confirm that is what everyone else used. It would be especially informational if someone who installed the Evo33 responded since the ARF is set up for that engine. Planenutzz perhaps? Thanks! Jon
Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM
Planejaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by maukaonyx View Post
I am working on one of these planes now too. Most of my servos and control linkages are in place, just not the throttle one because my next step is installing the DLE-35. Looking for the distance from firewall to prop plate, I found none in the manual. At the early part of this thread, someone said 7". I would just like to confirm that is what everyone else used. It would be especially informational if someone who installed the Evo33 responded since the ARF is set up for that engine. Planenutzz perhaps? Thanks! Jon
I never worry about what the manufacturer says or what others have done with engine/cowl distances or clearances. Each one is a little different. Mount your engine with the standoffs given and trial-fit your cowl to determine if you will have a reasonable fit, or if you need to add any further standoffs/washers or spacers. I mounted a DLE-40 Twin. I mounted the engine on the supplied standoffs then fit the cowl and attached it so I had about a 1/8" clearance between the spinner back-plate and the front of the cowl. Interestingly enough, there was enough room underneath the cowl-blisters on the side to completely hid the plugs and plug wires/caps. Actually had to relieve some clearance for the mufflers for reach cylinder, but didn't turn out too bad.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sorry mate only just saw this post. I'll check tonight what the distance is. Fitted my cowl last night, had trouble as I had a dubro ball joint link on the chocke and it was too high so had to go to a standard clevis style connector.

Completed the electrical install in the fuz last night. Might have to move one or two battery packs reward yet, will see when I do final CG check.
Canopy is fitted though I expect I will need to add a bit more canopy glue here and there for areas it did not take very well.
Still to put some plugs on the end of the leads for the lights that are in the wing.

Have done the bulk of the radio programming including flaps. a few tweaks for throws still to do. Should be able to do an engine run on Sat. Manual for the evo 33 says not to go over 1/2 throttle for first tank full. they must be a very finicky engine if that is the case. yup I mixed up a batch of 20:1 with mineral oil.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the good news is that I test flow the RV-4 on Sunday. Weather not the best with cross winds.
Ground handling was very good and take off roll straight down the middle of the strip with very little rudder required. I did notive it took a fair bit to haul it off the deck, I feel I'm a bit nose heavy and will need to move 1 battery pack behind the spar.
Climbed out ok just a tad steep. Minor trimming on elevator and a touch on ailerons. Roll rate was ok as I had only set it up for moderate throws. Engine being new was quite rough half throttle and below but as its running on a 20% mineral oil mix for bedding in that is to be expected.

Half flaps were tried, no pitch changes and full flaps as well which was like slamming the brakes on! Landing was tried on half flaps and the thing just floated and floated eventually bouncing down, not pretty but ok. Idle was a bit high which would not have helped.

Only one flight as wind picked up then it started to bucket down (rain) so packed up, drank coffee and talked nonsesne with my mates for a bit. Home by 1030.
Taking it out aain on Sunday but will move one battery pack as advised and see how it like that.
It fits nicely in the back of my Landrover Discovery (LR3) too, nose in between the seats. Was worried it might be too long.

cheers
P

Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it is 178mm from firewall to thrust plate on the engine.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

guys,
how are you finding landing this thing with flaps? Mate of mine has one and is having to dial in 20% down trim via a flap to elevator mix.
I've only had one landing so far and using half flap. Thing just floats and floats and wont flare in.

I now have a proprtional flap - elevator mix set up that gives up to 15% down trim. I will try a full flap approach on sunday.

Keen to hear how others are finding it.
cheers
P
Old 02-04-2019, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, it balloons with full flaps, once you get the mix right, full flaps really help getting it to quit floating enough to land
Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is what we are finding, I'm used to heavy metal that settles nicely!

What % down trim are you using?

Maybe I will fit an anchor to the damn thing or get somebody to run out and catch it!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I forget exactly but its a bunch, like a Cub.

A couple of things I recall from that project though. The CG in the manual seemed on the tail heavy side, we put weight up front to get the CG forward and it flew a lot better. It needed all the flap you could get to land well.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:51 PM
planenutzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting as my mates RV-4 defintely displays tail heavy charachteristcs and he is balanced right on 154mm (6inches).

I'm a bit forward of that using the MkI balancer . . . finger tips.
Might leave mine forward for the time being till I get more flights on this thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service