Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull MXS-R 1.20

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull MXS-R 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Seagull MXS-R 1.20

I am looking for a replacement to the Ultimate 10-300 Bipe that sadly did not float when the engine quit. Looking at this plane, looks like a perfect match for the OS Gemini 120 twin that I have. So anyone flown this plane, and how is it compared to the Something Xtra? I like that on low rates the SSE stays wings level at low speed and HAOA and drops nose rather than wing. It looks like it will be a good transition plane to get into higher aerobatics. Would this one get into a hover with the Gemini II? I can get my LT-40 to hover for a few seconds, but drops nose too quickly, and want to get something that is easier to keep in a hover, and hoping this is the one.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Things I'd be looking for:
Wing mounted kinda high on fuse when looking at a side view. No lower than center.
Straight leading edge.
Fat airfoil good if you can find one.
This plane is at least a pound heavy for it's size. For good low speed stability, light weight is key. Otherwise the plane wants to wing rock, falling off to one side then the other when it gets slow.

There are a few good ones, but check out the Edge and Slick for good examples of what I'm talking about.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:15 AM
acdii

Wanted to get a SIG since I have a 10% discount to use. This is the only one other than the YAK that will take a 120, though I am thinking the OS Gemini II might be a bit too heavy to use for 3D. It flew the Bipe well, but I only had a couple flights before the throttle came loose on the carb and caused the engine to quit just after take off. I never got a chance to see what it would really do.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a Something Extra other than the .45 size, or are you thinking of putting a 1.20 twin in that? If you could find something like that with 850 sq in wing and 9lbs or so, that would do it!

I flew a DLE 20 in that Yak the other day. Nice flying plane, but it had been set up for sport flying, so I didn't really try to see what it could do. That would be a good size, but you'd have to keep it light!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:40 PM
acdii

Well I weighed the Gemini, and after seeing it weighs almost 3 pounds, it is not a good engine for this type of plane after all. A DLE 20 with the ignition weighs less. I think the ideal setup would be a Saito 115 in this particular plane. I can use the gemini in the Corsair I think, have to check the cowl to see how it fits, and since that plane can use all the weight in the nose it can, should work well. So now I have a 20 CC gas engine laying around.

My 10% off coupon is good until January, so I have time. The SSE is one size only and I have a brand new on still in the shipping box, so not looking for another one. It flies great with a Saito 72 on the nose. I do have a Saito 91, and a couple Magnum 91's, which would work well in this plane though, and a YS 110. Any of them should work in this one or the Edge 540 medium. It's a toss up between these two.