Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Can you learn to fly all way in advanced mode by starting in safe mode?

ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Can you learn to fly all way in advanced mode by starting in safe mode?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 PM
obrien135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can you learn to fly all way in advanced mode by starting in safe mode?

Is it common for a novice pilot to reach a high level of expertise just by advancing through flight modes on planes with safe mode technology without having an instructor?

George
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While you do hear about somebody teaching themselves how to fly on occasion, it is NOT common. A crash can be super frustrating (even if minor), especially if you have no clue as to what happened that caused the plane to crash. That can have the plane appear to be a money pit in short order - virtually guaranteeing your flying career will be a short one.

Learning to fly with somebody that is used to up to date planes (like the ones with "safe" mode) that will encourage you to progress at your own rate, can be an absolute blast that will leave you with a grin that lasts for days. It's something I would encourage you to try before striking out on your own.

Note that plane crashes while under instruction are unusual......
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SAFE planes are an option for someone that might live remotely and doesn't have easy access to an instructor.

They fly well, self level if you let go in the beginner modes and keep you out of trouble for the most part while you get your wits about you and lower the pucker factor.

On the downside, they can breed a dependence on the gyro, and they don't teach you how to operate a model safely, keep your fingers out of the prop etc.

If you have access to a club and instructor, even with SAFE that's the way to go but they do offer an alternative if that just isn't an option.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How does a auto level system teach you how to take off, turn and come around and land?, Seem to me you need some instruction on basics at least
Old 07-11-2018, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SAFE is more than just an "auto level" system. Heck the Carbon Cub will land itself right where you took off from with the flick of a switch, fly within a virtual fence, fly back to the takeoff point and orbit at 50 feet etc.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
SAFE is more than just an "auto level" system. Heck the Carbon Cub will land itself right where you took off from with the flick of a switch, fly within a virtual fence, fly back to the takeoff point and orbit at 50 feet etc.
And that teaches you to .............?
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the thing about being self taught is that many times the reason for a crash is never figured out and often repeated rather than corrected.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It really depends how deep your pockets are. Many of the old dogs here including myself are self taught. We became experts at building/repair long before becoming the pilots we are today. We also had access to flying areas without the bylaws that prohibit flying from school yards and parks as they exist today. There are far fewer places you might go to to safely teach yourself how to fly. If you have wide open spaces and you really want to attempt to teach yourself to fly I see no reason you cannot. Just be safe don't hurt yourself or others. Be prepared for the cost of fixing what you break. This cost may end up being more than the cost of joining a local club and making use of the instruction available.

My advice would be to find a club and if you haven't bought a trainer yet find out what they recommend. They may even know of some used equipment at a cost savings.

Good luck keep us informed of your progress.

Dennis
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM
obrien135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks very much
Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A good computer flight simulator can help as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:57 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
No wonder so many guys in my club can't fly,,, they don't have to learn,,, what's the point?,,, cheaper to watch youtube vids
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMO SAFE may be a good way to start out whether you have an instructor or not. It will help build confidence and has the potential to speed up the learning curve. Once the basics are down then it would be time to turn it off and start advancing your skills. When I say skills I not only mean pilot skills but set up and trimming skills as well. Far too often I see guys that are reasonably good pilots fighting their airplanes. IMO a well sorted out airplane without any stabilization still behaves better then a poorly sorted airplane with stabilization. There lays another issue. With today's ARF market where manufacturers will discontinue models after just a couple runs, how much development actually goes into the airplane?