ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

This Cub

Old 03-06-2019, 05:37 AM
bowhunter
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default This Cub

Does anyone know who makes this cub ? I need some information on building this plane, like engine size ,CG etc....
It is an ARF it came in a plain white cardboard box. The picture is not my plane but a picture of one I found, mine is just like it.

Last edited by bowhunter; 03-06-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-09-2019, 08:03 AM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is an ARF kit or a stick kit? If it's an ARF, do you know the wingspan or wing half span if it's a two-piece wing? How wide is the fuselage body. If you know total wingspan, that will eliminate a lot of kits and help you zero in on what you've got there.

Could you take a picture of side of the fuselage on your kit showing where the wing support tube is inserted? Also, take a picture of the ailerons and flap surfaces, if it has flaps. Does it have corrugation details molded in or they just plain flat surfaces. Those are the key areas I used to identify my unknown cub a week or two ago. The guy I bought it from said it was a Hangar 9, but it didn't look right to me. I used their instruction manual to exclude it as a Hangar 9 and used pictures on the internet, mostly from this forum, to identify which manufacturer it was. It ended up being a Dave Patrick Super Cub.

If you could post some pictures of the kit pieces, I might be able to help you identify it. I'm fresh off the hunt: I looked at Cub model kits for a day and half straight trying to find out what mine was!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 AM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default This cub

Thank you for your response.
It is an ARF cub. It has a 71 inch wingspan,it is all
balsa and lite ply construction. I bought it at arc show
when I saw it the guy said it was a 25size but after getting it home I realized it was not. It didnít have any instructions with it.
I will take some pictures when I get back home.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 PM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is some pictures
Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 AM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, those pictures are helpful but I still haven't been able to identify it yet. If got a couple of notions about what it could be but there are some details that don't match up. Could you take a few more pics? One showing where the landing gear attaches to the fuselage, one showing the center portion of the wing with the wing removed (from ontop of the wing and below the wing), and one shot from the front looking into the fuselage at the firewall?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Last edited by bowhunter; 03-10-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Add message
Old 03-10-2019, 12:30 PM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are a few more pics. I have already glued the wing halves together. The man I bought the cub from said it was a 25 size plane.
I didn't look at the box close enough to find out there was no paperwork with the ARF. I have done everything to the plane that I can
do except add the engine. I was expecting to put a .25 brushless motor on but I think it would be to small. I found a plane on here or
on another forum just like it but the post was from 2010 I think. Itried messaging the original poster but haven't got a response yet.
Thank you for all your time trying to help me
Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, I'm glad to try to help. I know how it is to try to finish a model you're not sure what it is and, besides, I enjoy a good mystery! I was originally thinking it was a Great Planes model but gear doesn't match up. I also thought it might be a Nitroplanes model but I can't find any good photos or instruction book to compare. I wrote their customer service folks asking if they had a digital copy of the manual this morning: we'll see if they reply back. I haven't seen any with that graphic like your plane has yet from any manufacturer. But someone could have recovered it or maybe it was a small run in that scheme or maybe it's an obscure manufacturer, I don't know...

I can't help you much with motor size. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that. It's at least what I would have called in 60-size plane back in the nitro days but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, I'll keep trying to look and maybe we'll get lucky. It would be nice if someone here would recognize it as a plane they had built before but I guess that would be too easy! The mystery deepens...

https://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercubs.html

Last edited by VonZipper65; 03-10-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am also a "Cub guy" who has never seen that model. It is a modern lazer cut, semi scale ARF, not a kit build. With a 71" wingspan I feel any good 40 size 2 stroke glow, or 50 to 60 size 4 stroke glow engine will fly it well. I would install an OS 52 4 stroke or an OS 46 LA mounted over on it's side (not inverted). I had a 71" World Models J-3 with an OS 46 LA on it's side with a pitts muffler that flew very well (sold it at Perry last year). It's a good looking Cub, go over it with extra glue where needed, power it and fly it. Enjoy !
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Deleted: See below for updated post

Last edited by VonZipper65; 03-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

General Hobby's 71.5" Cub - Wire formed gear just visible in the photo above

General Hobby's 80.0" Cub - Formed wire gear and mounting method shown above

General Hobby's 80.0" Cub - Kit contents reveal the formed Wire Main Gear as well as wing mounting method onto fuselage

General Hobby's 80.0" Cub - Overall top view pictured above

Bowhunter,

The closest match that I've been able to find so far is a model sold by General Hobby. They offer, or did offer, numerous cub models. Two of these bear some resemblance to your model to me. The first is out-of-stock model with a 71.5" wingspan clad in the conventional yellow cub color-scheme. It only has one working picture of the 71.5" model and it is not very revealing. It does show a little of the wire main landing gear. It also appears that they covered the forward-most side window in monokote for some reason. And, of course, they don't offer an online manual to compare model similarities and differences. The graphic scheme doesn't match at all but, like I mentioned earlier, they could have offered a alternate scheme at one time.

The other model is a Cub with a 80" wingspan does have photos which reveal a little more of the model's construction. This one is also out-of-stock. I know it's not the same size but it does appear to share some of the same construction features as your model. The formed wire main landing gear construction and mounting method appear similar to your model. Also, the method of wing attachment is the same. I am assuming, of course, the 80" model and the 71.5" model share the same construction. In fact, there's no way to be sure without other photos or studying the instruction manual.

Anyway, it is by no means, a positive I.D but merely the model that I've found that shares the most in common with the photos of your model. I'll include the links to the product pages on the General Hobby website. Take a look and let me know what you think...

Eric

Piper Cub J-3 40 Nitro Gas RC Airplane 71.5'' ARF - General Hobby

https://www.generalhobby.com/piper-fuelelectric-airplane-yellow-p-185.html

http://www.generalhobby.com/advanced_search_resulta.php?keywords=+cub&x=0&y=0

Links to General Hobby's Contact Information: (Maybe they can provide an owner's manual to aid in identification)

http://www.generalhobby.com/contact_us.php
Phone - 909-581-8873

Last edited by VonZipper65; 03-10-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Addition of Photos
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

52Larry52
I bought it in perry this year, Thank you for your response. I don't have a 52 four stroke the one I have is a 90 I think.
Harvey
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM
bowhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

VonZipper65Thank You so much for the information. I know more than I did about this plane thanks to you. If I can ever help you out please let me know.
Harvey
I just sent in an inquiry the link you sent me. Thanks again

Last edited by bowhunter; 03-11-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 90 for stroke is wasted on this plane, save the 90 for something larger. Plus the nose weight of the 90 up there will make C/G balance a nightmare. Any modern 46 two stroke will be an easy fit and balance.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 PM
VonZipper65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bowhunter,

I'm still not confident your plane is the one sold on General Hobby but, like I said, it seems to have the most in common with all the other 71" Cubs (Scale & Semi-scale) that I've looked at. I have yet to find one with more similarities. One difference that I didn't notice before is the cutout in the fuselage in the bulkhead or former (visible through the windscreen just underneath the center wing joint) on the last photo I posted. In that photo, the shape of the opening is a large, irregularly shaped "rectangle". On your model, the former has a narrow, vertical rectangle slit. I didn't notice it earlier. Hopefully, General Hobby can give you a more definitive answer whether it's their model or not.

Eric

Last edited by VonZipper65; 03-11-2019 at 11:20 PM.