Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbico P-40E Warhawk ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico P-40E Warhawk ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobbico P-40E Warhawk ARF

Hi All;

Two week ago, I found this ARF at a estate sale and I pick it up for $20.00!! It was new in-box but with no manual. I did go to Hobbico and found a manual for. The site said that they stop making this in 1990. That make this ARF 20 years old!! Do anyone have any more info on this plane??
Here are the spec:
Wingspan: 61"
Length: 46"
Wing Area: 605 sq.in
Weight: 6 to 7 pounds

My flying weight without fuel is 7.2 lbs
Engine: OS 61SX 2S
Hope to fly her this weekend, so any info would be a big help!!!
The blue tape you see in the pictures is holding the canopy in place untill the glue dry!!
Thanks again for any info!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50510.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1470865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27460.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1470866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95880.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1470867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22089.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1470868  
The following users liked this post:
@ricardovargas1976 (12-06-2021)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Hobbico P-40E Warhawk ARF

These were the Hobbico coped if the Ez rc plane line . If I recall its a colored foam board over a balsa frame .The problem with these planes was that they were difficult to repair once damaged . I dont mean difficult as far as skill but difficult to get it to look the same as the original plane .
As you can see the the plastic parts dont match and that was another down fall of the sales and longevity of the model .
On the good side I had seen it fly and know it was a gem due to the very light wing loading .
I cant remember if the plane had retracts and if they were P51 style or P40 style .
You will have fun with this plane , who knows if you really like how it flys it may be worth a touch of paint and making all the parts match .
One more thing , you got a steal , really a total steal at $20 , I think it went for close to $200 back in the day brand new
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
jet22b

LDM;

You are right, colored foam board over a balsa frame. Yes you can put retract in this plane, but for now I am going with the fix gears. The box must have sit for a long time, but I did see a price tag of $259.99 that was inside the box. I don't think they saw that or just just want to sell it. All the parts was well wrap and in very good shape!! Thank you for you input and info. I will post the out come of the first flight in the thread. I do love the way this plane look and I have found the real plane with pictures on the web.
Thanks again. LDM
Maybe this will be a keeper!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
LDM

Sonny , no problem , good luck with her . I knew you got a deal , like I said I remember they were ahead of there time as far as arfs . This was one of the better ones released .
If this flys as good as I remember , it will be a keeper .
One thing that we did not have available when this came out years ago was depron . I know it was around but not readily .
Keep that in mind in the event that you have a damage problem .
You can get depron and add it to the damage area and easily sand it smooth while not compromising the weight
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM
jet22b

LDM,

Just return from my club flying field and I put 5 flight on Hobbico P-40 Warhawk and I am very happy!!! After getting the feel of her on the ground, I re-fill the tank, did my last check of everything, Start the engine, taxi out to the end of the runway, add power and away she went. Tail came up, just a small touch of up and she was in the air!!! A small amount of up trim and the plane flew hands off!!! Wow this baby fly good!!! The first landing was by the book!! A small bit of power on final, cross the end of the runway, power off and a very smooth landing on both main with the tail still flying. The roll out was 10 to 20 feet on grass. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear!!! The next 4 flight, I took the glove off and push her!! She is so smooth!!! For $20.00 this was a steal. You are right, this is a keeper. Its to bad they don't make them anymore. Thank you again for the info and help!! Have a great weekend of flying!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
LDM

No problem at all , I love to P40 and glad to see as many in the air as possible .These are two on many in my fleet , one is the VQ and the other is a really fun eletric 55" span one by airfield /FMS , sold by Nitro RC . I weatherd the plane , mod the interior , added some small eletric retracts ect , all in fun , also split the flaps .
The plane flys like a cream puff !!!
Good luck again and have a great weekend
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: LDM

No problem at all , I love to P40 and glad to see as many in the air as possible .These are two on many in my fleet , one is the VQ and the other is a really fun eletric 55'' span one by airfield /FMS , sold by Nitro RC . I weatherd the plane , mod the interior , added some small eletric retracts ect , all in fun , also split the flaps .
The plane flys like a cream puff !!!
Good luck again and have a great weekend
They both look good!!!!
Now to build my war bird fleet, if the wife don't kill me!!!

Jet22b
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM
LDM

ya , my wife has grwon to like them , not love them .After years of coaching my boys in ice hockey , one is in college one is a junior my spare time is growing so my aquired fleet that has been in boxes is now starting to get assembled ,.
I spent about 4 hours yesterday assembling a storage area for my wings and fuses lol
Old 12-06-2021, 11:49 AM
@ricardovargas1976

Hello, I have one like P40, you have a video of your flights, I would like to see it fly