Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lanier Extreme Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lanier Extreme Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Extreme Stick 40

I'm starting to assemble the Lanier Extreme Stick 40. I couldn't find any info on this model so I guess I'll start something.

I liked the way it was packaged in the box. The covering was top notch, didn't see any need for touchup ironing on this one.

[sm=frown.gif]
I was disappointed when I took the wings out of the bags, as the ailerons were taped to the wing with scotch tape. This just made for a glue cleaning task. I don't think it was not necessary to tape them to the wing.

I really like the orange and blue scheme, it should standout well in the air.

Well on with the build. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39887.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	64752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	64753  
Old 09-30-2003, 06:20 PM
RCPat
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lanier Extreme Stick 40

Hey Salty25:

I too just got the Extreme Stick 40 from Lanier. I guess impulse buying is still alive and well on RC Universe. I saw the ad, clicked on it and got the plane in about 3 days.

You're right about the scotch tape on the ailerons, but then the kit was assembled in China. I doubt that they have higher tech tapes like we do in the US.

The color scheme is really cool and it definitely will be easily visible when flying.

I'm putting an OS 70 4 stroke on mine.

Good luck with yours.

Pat
Old 09-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Salty25

RCPat,

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there willing to try this model. I've actually had mine for a couple of weeks now but just getting to putting it togethor.

Funny thing about that assembled in China. I'm gluing the wings togethor, did the test fit and it was good. Putting on the glue and noticed that there was a sticker in the eing joint saying, "Assembled in China." Hard to pull that darn thing off when you got two wing halves with epoxy on them.

I'm going to go with the OS46FX on mine. I think that'll pull this thing around pretty good. Using Hitec 322's and 425's for servos.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Salty25

Update #1:

It's going togethor pretty good. Not trying to rush to make a flight this weekend, shooting for next weekend.

So far I've run into to 2 problems [X(] , but nothing major.

1. The v stab was a little short on the fuse. The trailing edge of the two did not lineup so I removed the covering and sanded down the fuse. It was about 1/16 too short. If I went with it as it was the rudder would have set at an angle and the top of the rudder would be gapped.

2. The wing bed was also cut too small. When I went to fit the wing into the bed it wouldn't go down all the way. The trailing edge of the wing was hitting on the top of the fuse. So again, I pulled up the covering and sanded it down to get a good fit.

I used a small block of wood with 80 grit paper to get the surfaces down and checked progress every few swipes so I didn't go too far. It's really hard to put it back when you take off to much.

I tapped out the wing holddowns with a 1/4X20 tap and am going with nylon bolts, as you can see in the pic.

I did see that Lanier recommends putting in 70oz servos. That would be about $120 in servos for the 4 Hitec ones. I don't see a need for that kind of torque on the throttle. I'm going to stick with the 311s and 425 for now. Maybe after a few runs I'll bump up the servos and see how crazy this thing gets.

Now on to radio and engine installation. [8D]

Name:	Qo39390.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	65368  
Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Salty25

Well, I got it all done. [8D]

It turned out to be a pretty easy build, as I guess most sticks are. This is my first stick so I'm only going on what I was told about others.

Even with the things that I thought were screwed up; the taping, and the extra cutting I had to do myself; I still feel this is a good model.

I like the chrome spinner on it but won't use it for the first few flights. I could only get it to fit with a 12.25X3.75 prop. I want to use a 11X6 for the first few flights so I'll be replacing the spinner to get that prop to fit.

I'm hoping to fly it this weekend. The weather should hold up but it isn't looking good right now. I guess we'll see and I'll post how the maiden flight goes when I get it into the air.

Here are a few pics of the final product.

Name:	Zx71374.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	66859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95303.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	66860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20136.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	66861  
Old 10-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Salty25

OK, here is the final info on this plane. I got to fly it today. All I can say is, SWEEEEETTT!!!

The plane flew great. The OS 46FX pulled it around with plenty of power, verticals were straight up with little input; inverted - didn't need to input any elevator. It did tend to stall to the right a little.

I had to switch over to a regular spinner, blue instead of chrome to use the 11 X 6 prop. I couldn't get that prop to fit in the chrome spinner. I will be switching to a 12 X 4 prop so I can use that chrome spinner after a few more flights. [8D]

I really like this plane, it is my first stick and I had a blast flying it.

Name:	Ig13700.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	67537  
Old 10-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Salty25

It weighed in right at 5 lbs and I balanced it at 4.5 from the LE. I had to put the flight battery back into the fuse (see the pics) to help with the balance, it was really nose heavy. I also had to put a lot of lead on the tail (again see pics) to get the balance.

If you get one of these planes: There were 2 types of pieces that would go next to the vert stab. I didn't realize this until after I put on the ones they showed in the plans. I would have rather used the other ones as they blended in better with the fuse.

Name:	Mk26421.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	67538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80950.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	67539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72807.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	67540  
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

A 46FX required how much lead???

I don't guess there is any way to move the engine back? Is the rear fuselage designed well enough so that a servo or two could be side mounted close to the tail?

With the popularity of the DHX, and the hype of the ARF "version", it is shocking how few there are flying.

How's the 3D? How are the tumbles? Common' now, someone WRING THAT SUCKER OUT!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Salty25

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

I don't guess there is any way to move the engine back? Is the rear fuselage designed well enough so that a servo or two could be side mounted close to the tail?

How's the 3D? How are the tumbles? Common' now, someone WRING THAT SUCKER OUT!
I tried to balance the plane before I hard mounted the engine. I pushed it all the way back and it still came out nose heavy. Yes, it is a stock OS 46 FX with a stock muffler, nothing special added. I think it's about 3.5 oz of lead, it's 14 squares.

You probably can mount a couple of servos in the tail, if you add some reinforcement behind the sidewall when you put them in of course. The elev is split so you'll either have to hardwire them togethor or put in two servos for them.

I didn't do too much in the 3D realm for a couple of reasons. The manual calls for 70oz servos and I only have 45-60 in there. I didn't want to chance servo malfunction on my first couple of flights. Also, I don't know much about doing 3D stuff. I don't have anyone to teach me how at my field so I'm slowly picking it up as I go. This is also the second plane I had that could possibly do them, the first was lost when I was learning to do snap rolls. All I have to say is, 2-3 mistakes high. [X(]

If you got any more questions fire away. I was having so much fun yesterday I didn't want to leave the field.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:51 PM
sedunster

You might try tinkering with the APC 12.25x3.75 prop and a Tower Hobbies or Mac pipe. I have a Sig Somethin' Extra that is 5lbs and the OS 46/Ultra thrust pipe combo with that prop is truly UNLIMITED vertical. Roll out 20 feet, pull straight up and watch it disappear.....
Old 10-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Salty25

I do plan on flying it with the 12.25 X 3.75. That's the prop I used for the first pic with the chrome spinner. The engine is still breaking it, only has about 3 tanks through it now.

I won't be able to fly this weekend but I should be able to get a few more tanks through that engine and put the other prop on.

I also had to cut out the holes to get the spinner to fit the prop. It's times like that that make me glad I got the Dremmel tool.

I had a SE once, plan on kit building one later. Maybe a winter project, who knows.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Salty25

ORIGINAL: sedunster
UNLIMITED vertical. Roll out 20 feet, pull straight up and watch it disappear.....
I'm not sure how much vertical is considered unlimited. I can get the plane in the air on a VERY short takeoff and it will go straight up. I had to push the nose over as it was getting too high for my comfort, there is an airfield by where we fly here so I don't like to get too high.

I was considering a Macs muffler but was told they don't do much for you so it's not worth the money, is that true?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 PM
sedunster

The Mac pipe on my Ultra-Stick gives about a net 10% increase in RPM measured with a tach. I sand-blasted it to bare aluminum finish since the black pipe on the white fuse looked out of place.

Unlimited vertical..... The plane is hand-launchable straight up, I just like to have some control before I pu it in the air, so I roll it first.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:30 AM
TailTwister

For a 46 FX, buy the Tower Tuned Muffler that comes with their Tower 46. It is $15 and well worth it. It gives huge performance above what the OS muffler will do.

For unlimited vertical, I like to see a plane pull straight up out of a hover and actually accelerate on the way up, but others have different descriptions.

I also could not build without a Dremel tool. I'd nominate the inventor for a Noble Prize, or Sainthood, if I knew who he was.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Salty25

I don't think I'm brave enough to try a hand vertical launch just yet. Maybe some time in the distant future I'll have the ____ to give it a shot.

I heard that the Tower muffler made the OS 46 perform a lot better, but it was always 3rd or 4th hand info.

I'm going to increase the throws on this one for the next couple of flights. I did them according to instructions, which was only 1/2 in for the test flight; or something close to that. I'm going to give the rudder all I can get out of the servo and try this hover thing some more as well. It was pretty much there the other day, but my nerves wouldn't let me keep it there longer then the 20-30 sec I had it. Or was it my nerves saying it was that long, I'm not sure, but it was there.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:54 AM
TailTwister

There are two OS 46 FXs in my club with Tower mufflers. I know that they both scream.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:12 AM
_shadow_

Salty25,

I'd love to get my hands on this one, but I already have the WM Super Stunt 40, its a stick, but the stab is below the fuselage. On the Extreme Stick, the stab is above the fuselage. I might try to mod the WM SS 40, enlarged control surfaces, etc.

If you could let me know these information, I'd be grateful.

1. Could u please put a long ruler or yard stick at the bottom of the stab and approximately tell me where does the LE of the stab point, does it point at the engine's centerline? above / below?

2. Is the wing's centerline parallel to the stab's line? or does it have some +ve incidence?

Thanks.

Regards
Marcus
Old 11-11-2003, 01:47 PM
otterdriver

Hi Guys I went about the balanceing a little differnt I mounted the servos in the tail then it was way tail heavy so I mounted a OS 61 in the nose battery behide the rear wing attach it balances good now flys good plenty of vertical only flown it in real windy conditions so far but it seems to hover easy. Mark
Old 11-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Salty25

ORIGINAL: mchandrasegran

1. Could u please put a long ruler or yard stick at the bottom of the stab and approximately tell me where does the LE of the stab point, does it point at the engine's centerline? above / below?

2. Is the wing's centerline parallel to the stab's line? or does it have some +ve incidence?

Thanks.

Regards
Marcus
Marcus, I hope I got this right. I was a little confused by what you were asking so I went and took a look at the WM SS. I took that this photo and not sure if you can see but the ruler is pointing directly to the carb on the engine. My fat finger may be in the way but the center of the wing is right at the top of the fuse which is over the line of the hor stab. I hope you were asking about the hor stab and not the vert stab.

Let me know if you need any further info.

I see that Lanier has raised the price of this model some, but they sent me a coupon to buy another for $99. Wonder if they think I'm going to crash the one I have and will need a replacement. LOL

Do I look happy in this shot or just plain stupid? LOL

Name:	Wu62032.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	74122  
Old 11-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Salty25

Mark,

I've seen guys put servos in the tail like that before but never have myself; not sure on how to reinforce the fuse to handle the weight and pressure.

I just put in carbon rods to replace the wooden dowels. I didn't like the way the rubbed in the fuse, don't want to start a fire in the air. Luckily I decided to check the balance as I was getting ready to load it into the truck this morning to fl it; it was pretty nose heavy. I'll have to rebalance it and fly it with those rods next weekend I guess.

Maybe I could put the servos in the tail like you did and remove all that lead back there. How did you reinforce the fuse to support the servos? [&:]
Old 11-11-2003, 07:44 PM
otterdriver

Hi Salty First I had to use low profile servos otherwise the servos would hit because the fuse is narrow back there .I made the cutout close to the rear former and then used 1/4x1/4 basswood glued inside the fuse for supports and to drill for servo mnt. screws. It seemed to work good and allot stronger than the push rod setup. Mark,
Old 11-12-2003, 12:08 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40 and it calls for standard servos. I can't believe you'd need more than mine. They look almost identical.
Also, you can make a hatch for your battery and put it in the back of the fuse underneath. I did it and my CG came out perfectly with no extra weight.

Joe
Old 11-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Salty25

So did you put 3 servos in the tail, or tie the elevator togethor? From the pics looks like you put 3 back there. I'm going to have to look into putting some in the tail also, plane is nose heavy with the carbon rods and the aluminum spinner.

I'm using HS-311's all around, except for the elevator has a HS-425. I don't seem to have any probs yet with the plane flying around.

I'm going to try and increase the throws I have on it now, I set it up for the 1/2 in throws recommended by the instructions. I think this baby wants more so I'm going to give it to her and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM
otterdriver

Hey Salty Yes I put a servo in both sides one for each elevator I used hobbico low profiles they where $20 each and have 60oz of pull they seem to work good. I am waiting on some good weather to really ring it out so far it has been windy both times I flew it. Mark,
Old 11-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Ernie Misner

How much are you guys paying for you Lanier Extreme Sticks? They are advertised as being on "sale" for $129.... but then through the small ad in the new AMA magazine they can be had for only $99!!!

How strange it is that Lanier would make an ARF that will come out so nose heave when built as directed. The Horizon Ultra Stick is the same way. I think we should shout and be heard just as we did with the sticky back covering paper that used to be used.

Ernie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.