Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP CHRISTEN EAGLE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP CHRISTEN EAGLE

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elevator/Rudder Servo Arms

I have a Moki 1.8 in mine, and it has pleanty of power IMO... but then again that's just me Lots of (not unlimited) vertical, big loops, etc... very happy myself
Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
deckerv

Ok.. bringing this topic back into life...

When I knife edge by rolling to the left side of the plane.. It has a little coupling, but nothing bad at all.. a thing of beauty.

If I knife edge by rolling to the right side of the plane, it turns into a bucking bronco, with it wanting to roll left and pitch towards the landing gear. Any suggestions?

Oh... In the end, I put a Brillelli 46 in the CE so I can use that Moki 1.8 in my Ultimate
Old 07-22-2006, 04:49 AM
wiz310

Well, it sounds like a few out there flying them now. I bought mine with everything to get it in the air, except time to build it. I had a pitts, a CAP, two gliders and a modification to another in the line up before it. finished everything except the Cap, and have decided that can wait. I'm pretty keen to start this great looking kit and am pretty impressed with everything including the hardware packs.
So, without me having to read the whole thread, what should I look out for while putting it together?.
I'm going gas with a CRRC 45I (I believe they have sorted all the major issues that they had to start with).
I'm going to maiden the Pitts tomorrow if time permits, and if it survives, I'll be pretty keen to make a start on the Christen.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 PM
deckerv

Any suggestions on the knife edge problem by chance?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 6% mix in mine, on a switch, for knife edge manuvers. It does the trick.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 PM
jpmodels

Ok. I read most of this thread and it's been a fantastic resource. I'm going to buy one of these planes and put a DA-50 in it. I do have a few questions and I would appreciate input from the current owners of the Eagle:

-Have there been any significant improvements over the years that this plane has been for sale? Do I need to look out for old stock that may have problems?
-I read along the way that take-offs are a bit hairy. What's the collective opinion on that? I've flown things that shouldn't fly, but my only biplane experience was a Goldberg Ultimate... a pretty tame beast. I've developed reflexes for some crazy things, but I don't want to sink $1500 into a nightmare that collects dust.
-Finally, could somebody grab a tape measure and tell me a few heights (fuselage only). While on level ground with stock landing gear, how high is the tail, the fuselage in front of the tail, the canopy and the highest part of the cowling? From time to time I may need to disassemble this thing and wedge it into my car to go to other clubs. I hate to have to make modifications to accommodate... The wife gets angry when I cut our car apart . On that note, one more question if I may... Is it practical in any sense to disassemble and reassemble this plane, or does it take an hour to make connections and align everything?

Thanks a lot.

Jon
Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
ram3500-RCU

I'll have to get back to you on the measurements, but about some other things, I installed an Ohio RC tail gear that gets the tail wheel back farther. I do this on all my bibes with shorter moments as the Pitts and Eagle have. This increases the wheel base and ground handeling is no problem. I also use expo on the rudder. Equiped and programed this way, takeoffs are uneventfull. I have a Goldberg Ultimate as well. This plane will fly more like the typical biplane than the Ultimate (more coupling, ect), but still a good flyer and very aerobatic. Assembly takes less than 10 minutes for me without the optional flying wires. I leave the cabanes attached to the top wing, when I disassemble it.
ORIGINAL: jpmodels

Ok. I read most of this thread and it's been a fantastic resource. I'm going to buy one of these planes and put a DA-50 in it. I do have a few questions and I would appreciate input from the current owners of the Eagle:

-Have there been any significant improvements over the years that this plane has been for sale? Do I need to look out for old stock that may have problems?
-I read along the way that take-offs are a bit hairy. What's the collective opinion on that? I've flown things that shouldn't fly, but my only biplane experience was a Goldberg Ultimate... a pretty tame beast. I've developed reflexes for some crazy things, but I don't want to sink $1500 into a nightmare that collects dust.
-Finally, could somebody grab a tape measure and tell me a few heights (fuselage only). While on level ground with stock landing gear, how high is the tail, the fuselage in front of the tail, the canopy and the highest part of the cowling? From time to time I may need to disassemble this thing and wedge it into my car to go to other clubs. I hate to have to make modifications to accommodate... The wife gets angry when I cut our car apart . On that note, one more question if I may... Is it practical in any sense to disassemble and reassemble this plane, or does it take an hour to make connections and align everything?

Thanks a lot.

Jon
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
jpmodels

Thanks for the info. Do you find the plane robust enough for a 5hp± gas engine or is it skimpy like some of the slower 3-d planes? When you transport the wing with the cabanes on, do you constantly worry that they'll snap off with one slip of the wrist while loading/unloading?
Also, I'd really appreciate the dimenions if you can get them. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I'll have to get back to you on the measurements, but about some other things, I installed an Ohio RC tail gear that gets the tail wheel back farther. I do this on all my bibes with shorter moments as the Pitts and Eagle have. This increases the wheel base and ground handeling is no problem. I also use expo on the rudder. Equiped and programed this way, takeoffs are uneventfull. I have a Goldberg Ultimate as well. This plane will fly more like the typical biplane than the Ultimate (more coupling, ect), but still a good flyer and very aerobatic. Assembly takes less than 10 minutes for me without the optional flying wires. I leave the cabanes attached to the top wing, when I disassemble it.
ORIGINAL: jpmodels

Thanks a lot.

Jon
Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
ram3500-RCU

I have a 52cc First Place on mine and it handles it nicely. No issues. Strong airframe and gear. I have a full size pickup and the end struts are no problem for me, but it would only be another couple minutes for those four bolts. I am out of town and the plane is back home. I can't get the measurements till I get home. Sorry.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
jpmodels

It's a done deal. I ordered the plane and the DA-50 tonight. For better or for worse, the deal is done. I hope I don't have to modify my car too much!

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 AM
ram3500-RCU

Should be a good combination. Strong airframe, and should ballance with no added ballast.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I am just starting mine and lucked into a brand new Supertigre S3000. How do the big two strokes fly in the C. Eagle? Do rear servo's need to be moved into the fuse with the lighter Engines? Please post any comments you may have with the Eagle and large two strokes.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you guys tell me where is the CG you are flying with?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

Jucava,

I'm flying my Eagle at the rear most recommended C.G. location and it handles great, no snapping tendencies at slow speeds, and it flat spins well with a nice recovery.

Warhwk,

I have a Moki 2.1 with the Moki radial mount and a Bisson Pitts muffler. I installed Nelson scale flying wires on the tail, but the radio setup is per the manual. The C.G. came out perfect using an APC propeller. I do not fly mine with the main wing flying wires installed, but that does not effect the C.G., just the overall drag of the airframe.

Initially I flew with a wood propeller and the C.G. was almost 1/2" behind the recommended location. It flew fine there but it did not recover from inverted flat spins well. I thought I had lost it the first time as it would not recover when I neutralized the sticks and the spin finally started to slow down after 2 turns with opposite rudder. I had to wait for 4 full turns for the spin to stop before recovering. Needless to say, I used up a good bit of altitude.[X(]

The only thing I would change about my Eagle would be to reduce the incidence of the top wing. My wings are set up with the bottom wing at minus (- 1.0 degrees) and the top wing is positive (+ 1.5 degrees). My best guess is that the top wing should be zero (0 degrees) or positive (+ 0.5 degrees) maximum. I believe the Eagle would perform some of the snapping manuevers better with the reduced incidence on the top wing. When I first installed the wings the incidence was: bottom wing positive (+ 1.0 degrees) and the top wing minus (- 0.5 degrees). Those numbers didn't seem correct so I checked the G.P. website to find out what the incidence should be and set it up accordingly. The changes where a nightmare to make, but the Eagle handles well so I haven't touched it.

My Eagle wheel lands best. If I try to make a three point landing it tends to bounce up a foot or so, making for some wild landings. If I make a wheel landing and stick it with a touch of down elevator the Eagle handles very well, and still slows down in short order.

Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
GAS4ever

Hello, after my bad experience with mi Eagle

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6183410/tm.htm

i decided to buy a new one and install this gasser http://cgi.ebay.com/HH50T-50cc-TWIN-...QQcmdZViewItem

the guy said me that the distance From plug cap to plug cap is 9-5/8". Cylinder head to cylinder head (with out spark plug) is 8".

Some one can help me if this engine is OK?? i want to have less vibrations (twin) go gas, but i dont now if this engine fits in the cowl without open it on the sides (sparkplug)

OK thanks to all guys

Nicolas from Chile
Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
GAS4ever

Default RE: GP CHRISTEN EAGLE

Hello, after my bad experience with mi Eagle

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6183410/tm.htm

i decided to buy a new one and install this gasser http://cgi.ebay.com/HH50T-50cc-TWIN-...QQcmdZViewItem

the guy said me that the distance From plug cap to plug cap is 9-5/8". Cylinder head to cylinder head (with out spark plug) is 8".

Some one can help me if this engine is OK?? i want to have less vibrations (twin) go gas, but i dont now if this engine fits in the cowl without open it on the sides (sparkplug)

OK thanks to all guys

Nicolas from Chile
Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
grassroots

Default RE: GP CHRISTEN EAGLE

Hi
Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Aeromove

Hi,

I haven't flown my eagle for a few months now. But I never liked its behaviour. I had to down trim a lot. It is bumpy on landings and is did not snap at all. The setup of the CG was like GP recommended. But after some 45 degrees down flight on half throttle, it recovered right away. This test is to find out if it's neutral or else.

Wel, my plane is way nose heavy. Furtheron I checked my incidences, and they were wrong to. My bottom wing is + 0.5 and it should be - 1.0. The upper wing I don't know anymore.
I guess the downtrim of my elevator will be gone if the incidence will be corrected. The snap will be possible when the CG is moved to the rear. What else can I expect when I modify the CG and incidences? Is it a total other plane?

What did you do to the wing saddle of the bottom wing to correct it? Did you enlarged/downed the holes in the fuselage a bit and scrapped of a a little of the fuselage where the wingbolds ar located?

Cheers,

Thierry

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bringing back an old thread. I had one of these back in '04, sold it(guy crashed it on his first flight) and regretted it ever since. Finally found one used that was close enough to pick up. My original had a fpe 3.2 and I thought it flew great. This one came with a g-38, but that's going to be swapped for a dle 55 and a smoke system installed. Super excited to get one of these flying again.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM
bonanzadrv

I have a one of these for sale.... if anyone is interested please pm me...

Bill