Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300S

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300S

Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300S Review Now posted

Norm,

I'm running an OS 1.60 in mine and it is a nice match for this plane. It has plenty of power for vertical and balaned w/o any lead. It will knife edge all day with this set up. I can't do 3D moves like harrier or torque roll, but that may be me and not the engine. Can't speak for the 1.80.

Carl
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Wingwrecker

Default RE: Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300S

So hello. New to the thread. Name is Evvy.

About a month ago I purchased a used but mint GP 300s 1.60 with a Moki 1.80 and digitals all around for a steal at $450. I took my time getting familiar with her and then took her up for a beautiful 5 minute maiden flight and then got mid-air'd by a parkzone foamy, tearing her in two right before everyones eyes... Never even got to see how she lands!

Well I'm over it now and have a new one on my bench, about half way through the build. And more tragic news... There are no holes made for the elevator and rudder servos on the left side of the plane!!! Lol! Has anyone run into this? I totally missed it upon initial inspection. I was really hoping to maiden this weekend and am tempted to cut them out myself, rather than go through the whole return process through Tower Hobbies. Is this advisable? Where might I get the exact specs of the positions of the cut-outs?

Argh..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Brainiax

ORIGINAL: Wingwrecker

There are no holes made for the elevator and rudder servos on the left side of the plane!!! Lol! Has anyone run into this? I totally missed it upon initial inspection. I was really hoping to maiden this weekend and am tempted to cut them out myself, rather than go through the whole return process through Tower Hobbies. Is this advisable? Where might I get the exact specs of the positions of the cut-outs?

Argh..
You're kidding....., that's a mfg glitch and a half! I'd cut them myself. Use a nice dremel tool but mark it carefully and clearly first and take your time. Hang on and i'll get the dimensions for you. Be right back. B-
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Brainiax

OK, here are the locations:

*Measured from the rear edge of the fuse, not the rudder.
*The cut-outs are parallel with the bottom edge of the fuse.
*Use your servos as a template for the cut-outs.
*The points of origin to start are the lower right corners of cut-outs.

Rudder- In the X direction= 3.50"
In the Y direction= .56"
Elevator- In the X direction= 6.75"
In the Y direction= 1.50"

Start with a cutting disc (wear eye protection) and cut the square shape. Clean it up with a 1/8 barrel sander.

Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

There are no holes made for the elevator and rudder servos on the left side of the plane!!! Lol! Has anyone run into this? I totally missed it upon initial inspection. I was really hoping to maiden this weekend and am tempted to cut them out myself, rather than go through the whole return process through Tower Hobbies. Is this advisable? Where might I get the exact specs of the positions of the cut-outs?

Argh..
You're kidding....., that's a mfg glitch and a half! I'd cut them myself. Use a nice dremel tool but mark it carefully and clearly first and take your time. Hang on and i'll get the dimensions for you. Be right back. B-
I would appreciate that very much, thanks! I just got my first Dremel last week and am still getting familiar with the different accessories. Which tool should I use?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Brainiax

Read my post above, #1404.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Wingwrecker

Awesome, thanks! Just to make sure I have it right: The right (rear) edge of the rudder servo hole will be 3.5" from the aft edge of the fuse and lower edge will be .56" from the bottom of the fuse, correct?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Brainiax

Awesome, thanks! Just to make sure I have it right: The right (rear) edge of the rudder servo hole will be 3.5" from the aft edge of the fuse and lower edge will be .56" from the bottom of the fuse, correct?
Right, where those two dimensions meet is the lower corner of the square hole.

X direction = horizontal 3.50"
Y direction = vertical .56"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64660.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1134330  
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

Right, where those two dimensions meet is the lower corner of the square hole.

X direction = horizontal 3.50"
Y direction = vertical .56"
Thanks so much again!
I thought I make take this as an opportunity to make the elevator servos line up instead of being offset, but it looks as though doing that would make that area on the left side pretty weak with the holes cut so close to each other. I guess I'll stick with the specs to be safe.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

I have a YS 1.40 sport that needs a plane. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? I believe the 1.40 sport has about the same power as a 1.80 Satio so if anyone has experience with the Saito that would be helpful as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
seagull extra

Well I guess theres not much interst in this plane anymore but I decided to purchase one anyway. I am putting a YS 1.40 sport in it and I also purchased Hitec 985 servos for it. From what I have read on this thread it should come in at about 13lbs and I will try a few tricks of mine and mabe I can get it close to 12lbs. One of the reasonsn I decided on this model is the fact that it is fully sheeted and I feel this makes for a much stronger and better looking model than a non sheeted model. If anyone has any experience with a YS 140 on this plane I would be interested in your opinions.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Wingwrecker

Anyone tried a 50cc gasser on this plane? Too much?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
seagull extra

Hi Evvy. If your Moki survived the crash I would stick it back in. There are some guys on this thread that did run 50cc and said it was ok but I think a lighter engine would be better on this airframe.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
raston

I have a DA-50 in mine. It flys great. And it fits in my Sunfire better than most 50cc planes would. If you have a 50, go for it. You won't regret it.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
raston

Oh ya... and I forgot to mention. I put on TNT's tall landing gear made for this plane. They're stronger and taller which makes for better prop clearance when using 50cc.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Wingwrecker

Thanks for the input guys..

I have made a deal on the Moki 1.80 and am awaiting funds from Canada. It is a great engine but at my altitude (5500 ft) it just didnt seem enough for me. And God I'm sick of cleaning up after nitro's!

I'm looking at the new Turnigy (XYZ) 50 HP from hobbycity for $239. It would be a heavier plane for sure, and I wonder about CG issues.

Raston, what's the weight of your DA and how did you achieve CG? I'd like to get her tail heavy enough to fly inverted hands off.

Thanks,
Evvy
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
raston

I put my 5 cell receiver pack in the tail of the fuse, behind the servos, right up against the rear end of the fuse.. You have to pull one of the servos out and slip it in through the little hatch in the back of the fuse and then stuff some sponge foam in to keep in in place. I build my own packs, so I put a really heavy guage wire on it so there would be no problem with with the long run. I also added a bit of lead in the tail (I think it was approx 5 oz) but it wasn't much. And you can always put on a heavier and more robust tail wheel and/or tail gear setup, but I didn't need it. And of course mount the receiver as far back as possible in the saddle area, and the Ignition batt back as far as you dare. Some guys are real finiky about putting it as far away fron the radio gear as possible, but I've never had a problem. And now that I've switched to 2.4Ghz, I'm even less concerned.

Another mod I made was to do a bit of cutting so I could mount the fuel tank back as close to the CG as possible. I think the back end of the tank is now sitting on the CG.

Total wieght, ready to fly is right around 16 lbs... not a 3D monster by todays standards, but very capable. And a very tough airframe I might add.

If (when???) I destroy it in a crash I would go right out and buy another. I love the way it fly's.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Ad Clark III
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Soucy has been a great airplane for 4 or five years now. It has gone through three OS 160's , several servo upgrades, two canopies, two cowlings, removed all CA hinges(some while inflight), conversion to 2.4. It has been an excellent weekend beater. After my latest 160 lost all compression I decided to convert it to gas. The decision of which engine to use was easy since I already had a DA-50 sitting in a drawer.
I put two flights on it yesterday and am heading back to the field today to continue the "flight trimming". I am sure its heavier now with the new motor, but you would never guess by the way it flies. The prop is a 22x8 and the vertical is three times better than with the 160. My CG is actually still too tailheavy, I am going to need to shift a battery forward. This is a little surprising considering the motor. However, I cut off the stock firewall and moved it aft several inches which is apparently compensating for the additional weight of the motor.
I will try to post some pics later tonight.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Wingwrecker

Thanks for the info Raston.

I've decided on the CRRC-Pro 40cc for my Extra. In fact it's sitting on the counter now awaiting install. Nothing but great reviews on this one and all of the vids on youtube are very promising. I'm already looking at thier 50cc version for a future project.

The Extra balanced fine with the Moki 1.80 at 43oz plus muffler and no odd placement of battery/etc. The CRRC-Pro 40cc is about 49oz without muffler and Cdi both of which are very light. I'm hoping that with some careful placement of components I can get a good balance without adding too much weight to the tail.

I can't wait to get it mounted and running. I'm having a hard time finding standoffs locally. I may just make some with dowel. I think I'm about 35mm short right now.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
raston

Sounds great Ww. Dowel will work, or even just hardwood block, stacked to the right height and epoxied together.
Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Hello all,
don't know if anytone reads this forum anymore but I want this plane and am wondering if there is any possibility I could get it in my 4 door civic. I would love to be able to but i am not sure. I saw the pic of it in the xB. You would be surprised what will fit in this thing but I hve never tried a plane this big. If the elevator or Landing gear came off I thik I could do it.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
dbroaddu

Hey Bryan,

You should be fine man. I get mine in this little Saturn... check it out. I just move the passenger seat all the way forward, recline it all the way back and stack some old sweaters and sweat shirts (those ones you've gotten for Christmas that you won't ever wear make for great packing material BTW) on the passenger seat to support the fuse right under the Landing gear... and put her in there kinda diagonally tail first thru the passenger side door. No need to remove anthing other than the wings.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Wingwrecker

Mine fits in my 2 door 2007 VW Rabbit perfectly with the back seats folded down. The nose and prop poke out between the two front seats and we chat on the way to the field...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM
raston

I stuff mine into my pontiac sunfire. Goes in through the passenger door, with the rear seat folded down of course. I then wrap the rear seat seat-belt arround oneleg of the landing gear so it can't moove around anf get 'dinged'.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: raston

Oh ya... and I forgot to mention. I put on TNT's tall landing gear made for this plane. They're stronger and taller which makes for better prop clearance when using 50cc.

Do you have a link to this landing gear?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.