Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks .40 Size Edge Vs. Pacific Aeromodel's .40 size Edge

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Aeroworks .40 Size Edge Vs. Pacific Aeromodel's .40 size Edge

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks .40 Size Edge Vs. Pacific Aeromodel's .40 size Edge

Are you guys talking about the Pacific plane or the A-W?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Claytonj

The Pacific.

Hey Van do have an ETA on your AW Edge??
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

The AW was supposed to have hit the states in the container on the 27th and start shipping from AW around the 1st. I am hoping that when I call them tomorrow I will find that it has already shipped.

The pacific wings are indeed held on by a 1/4-20 nylon bolt that threads from the inside of the fuse into a blind nut in the wing root. This is indeed very strong and very light, it is not a major deal at all, I simply would have expected the guide tubes with a kit that was as complete as this one. It may have been omitted due to the extra weight as this plane is a bit on the heavy side at exactly 6 lbs when compared to AW's advertised weight of 4.5-5lbs.

I outfitted the plane as follows:

Engine: OS46FX w/Great Planes 2-1/4" aluminum spinner (free with the purchase of an FX)
Prop: APC 12.25 x 3.75
Servos: 6 Futaba standard S3004 servos
Receiver: GWS 8 channel
Battery: 4cell 4.8v 1400mah Nicad
Hardware: As supplied which included 4-40 rods w/metal clevises and Pull-Pull rudder system

The plane balanced at 3-1/2" behind the leading edge or 1/2" behind recommended CG of 3" with the battery installed under the receiver in the pre-installed velcro straps. When laterally balancing the plane I had to add 17grams to the left wing to bring it into balance. With the plane balanced and no fuel the plane came in exactly as advertised at 6 lbs 0 ounces.

I am finishing the complete write up and trying to edit the MPEG of the first 3 flights down to a reasonable amount of time and size. Being new with the video camera and its software is making that take a little longer than I would like so please bear with me. I didn't want to make anyone wait for the details above though. If you are waiting to order one of these and are just waiting to hear the flight reports here are a few more details

If you are as I would describe myself, an advanced beginner - well past the trainer, into some intermediate aerobatics and looking for a platform to grow with - you will NOT be disappointed with this airplane.

If you are a hard core 3D pilot, you will NOT be happy with this airplane/engine combination as at 6 lbs and my 46FX tuned the way it is, it WILL NOT pull out of a hover[:@]. Let me follow that up by saying that you will NOT be unhappy with the performance of the plane itself.

I have pilot ratings and the rest of the write up coming soon.

When the AW edge arrives it will be outfitted exactly as this has been.

More to follow, please stay tuned!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bet, vanman. Excellent work.

We are waiting with bated breath...

Old 11-04-2003, 09:32 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Vanman:

Did you put the battery on the supplied tray, or under the tank. I put it under the tank and needed no added weight to balance at 3".

Jim
Old 11-04-2003, 10:47 PM
vanman

Jim

I mounted the pack under the receiver in the velcro straps. Haven't moved it yet, I decided to put it in the air at 3-1/2" to see how it handled and then added a very small amount of weight at the field to move the balance to the recommended 3". Haven't weighed the weight that I added yet to see how much it was, but it was only a small amount.

How is yours outfitted?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:51 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard anything about the Aeroworks? Anyone have one here?

Joe
Old 11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
vanman

Joe,

The last I talked with AW they were supposed to start shipping around the 1st, I am going to call them tomorrow to see whats what. I have already ordered, simply waiting for them to come in to the US at this point. They had confirmation that they were in the container and scheduled to hit the US port on the 27th of Oct.

Will post more info tomorrow after I call AW

Bill
Old 11-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Claytonj

I emailed AW and they said the kits should be in stock by the end of the week.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:15 PM
vanman

I talked to AW today, they said the kits will arrive in their wharehouse tomorrow and be inventoried and that people should be receiveing them in the next 7-10 days.

Hope so.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:35 AM
jrf

Vanman:

My Pacific has an OS 50 2-stroke and it will pull out of a hover. I saw one with a Saito 72 in it and it had even better pull out. I'd hesitate to put a 61 2 stroke or 91 4-stroke in it because of the extra weight, but I guess that would depend on how you want to fly it.

Jim
Old 11-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Claytonj

Curious to see if you have the rreview completed and to see if your AW has come??
Old 11-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Exocet

I have my AW .40 540 Edge.

See my thread for info.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Aeroworks_%2540_Edge_540T/m_1259743/tm.htm]Aeroworks .40 540T Edge[/link]
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
vanman

I will try to post the review tonight, not sure if I can get the whole thing on here or not. Have been waiting to try to get some more video and pilots feedback on the plane, but the darn weather here in Wisconsin is not cooperating with me.

I have bits and peices of the video edited and am still trying to get the peices put back together for posting. The 3 meg max makes it impossible for me to simple put the whole thing online. Sorry for the delays in getting this up here.

Still waiting on my AW Edge too [:'(]

Bill
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 PM
vanman

Can anyone tell me how to post a word file? I wanted to post my review and could not upload a word file and I didn't like the way it ran everything together when I did a cut and paste.

Help?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:50 PM
jrf

Vanman:

If you save your word file as a .txt and check the box for "Insert line breaks" it won't look too bad and you can upload it as an image.

Jim
Old 11-13-2003, 03:28 PM
vanman

Thanks Jim,

Here is the review so far. The Wisconsin weather is not cooperating with me so I have only gotten 3 different pilots to fly the plane so far, 2 like myself (advanced beginner) and one that is advanced aerobatics and starting into 3D. I believe that this still gets the point across though and I will continue to update the ratings as I get the rest of the pilots with stick time on the plane.

Click on the file below for the full text review
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Xv63685.txt (11.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-13-2003, 04:48 PM
vanman

OK so I got my video edited into a couple of 3 minute clips, as I edited them they were only about 1.8meg but when I put them all back together into an mpeg format they are 58meg.....what gives? I also got no sound, as I play it from the video camera to the computer there is sound but it doesnt seem to be capturing it.

Last question, how do I post the video? It says file type not supported. If not here then where can I post it and then place a link?

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 PM
vanman

Got my AW Edge today............Not so sure I am all that happy about it after having put together the Pacific Aeromodel Edge first.

The AW Edge is a nice looking plane that showed up in perfect condition. The covering and all the ammenities were in perfect condition. There was something about it that I couldnt place at first that was strikingly different though. Then as I started to unpack it and looked at it even more it finally hit me....... Aeroworks did not and after looking at their website, does not utilize the full flying surfaces on anything but the rudder. The ailerons and elevators do not have them.

The AW utilizes a single elevator servo mounted up in the fuse, Pacific utilizes independent servos mounted in the tail. The elevator halves are much smaller than Pacifics as well.

The construction of the Pacific seems more robust (but maybe its just different), which may be why it is slightly heavier, but from what others are saying this plane is coming in at 5.5 lbs without radio and battery so it is not much lighter. I will see where mine comes in at in a couple of days.

Here are a couple of pics, more tomorrow as I begin to put the AW Edge together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45426.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	74758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24521.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	74759   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27019.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	74760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42252.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	74761  
Old 11-14-2003, 07:18 PM
vanman

and a couple of the corresponding parts of the fuse on the Pacific...........Oh and one of the tail feathers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40652.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	74763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25620.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	74764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78595.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	74765  
Old 11-14-2003, 08:03 PM
David_Moen

What do you mean by "full flying" surfaces?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:23 PM
vanman

Notice in the picture showing the two elevators side by side, the pacific elevator not only runs long the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer, but also extends up the outer edges as well. The AW only runs along the trailing edge.

The ailerons are the same way(only run the length of the trailing edge of the wing). The only surface on the AW that extends beyond the trailing edges is the rudder, where the top of the rudder actually makes up part of the vertical stabilizers profile.

added during edit - I believe that I have mis-used the description of full flying surface. After having this question posed, I researched a bit to verify if my terminology was incorrect. Indeed it was incorrect as a full flying surface is one in which the entire surface moves, which these do not. I apologize for any confusion and for the mis-use of the description.....Bill
Old 11-14-2003, 08:54 PM
David_Moen

You really mean the surfaces are "counterbalanced" right?

Counterbalancing reduces/eliminates flutter at high speeds (may not be an issue on an Edge). Some say that it also reduces the amount of servo power needed to move the surface (arguable at best). Don't be too dissapointed that the AW plane doesn't use counterbalances.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:01 PM
vanman

Thanks for the correction

I will be putting the AW through the same build, setup and flight time that I have the Pacific so far, at which point I will be more able to point out the differences between the two. Some of which may be important to some and some will be important to none.....

I think one striking thing to note is the completely different approaches these two companies have taken to get to the same airplane....I am looking forward to getting to the finished product and flying them side by side.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:01 PM
kepople

interesting Van;
I am following iwth anticipation...
Kirby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.