Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Have The BUYING PHOBIA ???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone Else Have The BUYING PHOBIA ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Raybow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Else Have The BUYING PHOBIA ???

Hi All
I have a problem in not being able to stop buying Planes, does anyone else suffer from this, is there a Pill i could take? or maybe a Psychiatrist?

i now have 14 of THEM.

Ray
Old 10-21-2003, 07:12 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Anyone Else Have The BUYING PHOBIA ???

You don't have a buying phobia, you obviously can buy. When you get to 80+ planes like me - than you have a problem.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
ShoestringRacer

You're not alone. I have about 8 ones new in the box and still can't keep myself from getting another. And a whole bunch of new engines. My work shop is becomming more of a stock room. It's the same with my rc cars and I haven't used one in a year. Man, I'm nuts!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks GOD I thought I was alone!!!! LOL I realy just got into the sport this YR. I have 6 planes.... My last ones are a GEE BEE and a Stuka (not yet asembled). Been flying a TRAINER / Eindecker / 540 Edge / WACO BIPLANE... NO END in site... HELP! Nothing like the excitement of flying these birds... Just wish I would have started YRS ago... I'm 41 now.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

The PHOBIA as you call it seems to be contagious because I started just over a year ago and I have 9 planes on the wall, 6-8 that I have already traded and/or sold off and 6 or 8 more still in the boxes!

Got to love the wife when you tell her you cant decide which plane you want to get and she simply says "So get them both!" I even told her that doing so would mean that I would need 2 new engines and 10 servos and she didn't even flinch.........

Women like this are rare, but they are out there.....I seem to have found one so I guess I'll keep her
Old 10-21-2003, 08:04 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My name is Matt and I am an addict.

I have turned the basement into a hanger/workshop/storage area. Its about 8 planes all over the place in our little house. Everyone hates it becuse this is where the giant screen TV is. hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11984.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	69152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47116.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	69153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61623.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	69154  
Old 10-21-2003, 08:24 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

PHILIA not PHOBIA

There are several remedies available for over-spending on hobby stuff:

1. Get married
2. Stay off the 'net and stay away from hobby shops
3. Cut credit cards into tiny pieces

Of course, if you stay away from the first step you don't need to worry about how much you spend!

-Tom (soon to be happily divorced)
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been divorced for 3 1/2 years and it's scary how crazy I can go on hobbies when my kids are not around. I'm not telling anyone to get divorced or bashing being married.
I'm just saying that I have no limit to how much I want to blow on planes as far as money or time. Freedom is sweet (and dangerous).

Joe
Old 10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Hi, My name is Roy and I'am a-plane-aholic
Thanks to all you guys. I know now i'am not alone. Maybe we could all just swap planes once in awhile so it will feel like were getting a new plane!!!!!!!

Send me some of yours first

Roy
Old 10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
swill

Raybow - I'm married to a Psychiatrist and she keeps asking me the same question - can't you stop buying them?!!! I think she's petitioning to have it added to the next edition of the DSM.

When we first dated, I thought it was all a big ploy and she was doing some long term study on me... maybe I'd see myself in the Journals of medicine (with perhaps the name change). Well, that hasn't happened. She's been very supportive...

Lately the models have stopped flowing in as I have resumed my full-scale flying. She thinks that's a subsitute.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:25 AM
GRANT ED

Well you what they say.
Some like flying, some like building and the rest like spending money.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um... that's a disorder?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:37 AM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

So what's the problem?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:08 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

As I grow older I find that in order to have a happy life one should buy what ever plane is going to make them happy! You've only one life and if buying and flying R/C Planes do that for you, go for it! I (you) could be out on the streets getting drunk, high or doing crimes that only hurt others. Be glad you have a addiction to model airplanes. It's a good clean, honest way of keeping yourself happy. Sure it costs a bit (more as you get into giant scale) but, again, if it makes you happy......By all means do it! It helps keep us all sane in a rather insane world. Besides, I've seen other hobbies that cost as much or way more than ours.

P.S. I too have a wife that encourages me to build and fly all I want. No, she doesn't like the bills and says my tastes in this hobby are expensive, but she knows I'm happy and she knows where I am! (I also encourage her to do the same, I only wish it was R/C Planes also.)
Old 10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
cruzomatic

I started fly electrics about 3 years ago and told myself I'd never fly slimers. I now have 2 and looking for a 3rd. I'm now flying both. I need another plane like I need another hole in my head my wife says. Huhhhh, ok, well,,,,hummm. Ok,,,,Let's see. Christmas is coming up. I'll cut out pics from the Tower catalog and post them on the fridge. Hopefully, she'll get the hint. Probably not, she's not very supportive of me and my flying addiction.

I can't stop.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
cstevec

I too have that problem. I started flying while it was still cold this spring and have never looked back. Burnt over 25 gallons of glow fuel this year and now have over a dozen flyable or repairable planes. I also have 3 that are still in the box and two on order. I keep saying "I'm not gonna buy any more planes this year" and then I see one I just gotta have. I'm not size selective either. My last purchase was a Waco .30 and I have a 80" Katana on order. Gotta feeling if I don't slow down though, there might not be much under the Christmas tree for anyone else & I may wind up sleeping with the planes. ............ Yeah, maybe I better slow down........ "Hey, isn't that a Corsair over there? I don't have one of those". .............Uh Ohhh!!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:41 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Buying Phobia?

Not me. I am not afraid to buy a model.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:37 PM
cruzomatic

I told the wife I needed one more and I'd be done buying planes. My heart is set on a Hanger 9 P51 Mustang, the big one, 1.50 size. She just looked and stared with no response.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:45 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: rcpilotjae-RCU

As I grow older I find that in order to have a happy life one should buy what ever plane is going to make them happy! You've only one life and if buying and flying R/C Planes do that for you, go for it! I (you) could be out on the streets getting drunk, high or doing crimes that only hurt others. Be glad you have a addiction to model airplanes. It's a good clean, honest way of keeping yourself happy. Sure it costs a bit (more as you get into giant scale) but, again, if it makes you happy......By all means do it! It helps keep us all sane in a rather insane world. Besides, I've seen other hobbies that cost as much or way more than ours.

P.S. I too have a wife that encourages me to build and fly all I want. No, she doesn't like the bills and says my tastes in this hobby are expensive, but she knows I'm happy and she knows where I am! (I also encourage her to do the same, I only wish it was R/C Planes also.)

Well said!

Serge
Old 10-22-2003, 12:54 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Serge1:

Thank You!

BTW, I like your web site.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like your site Serge.

Where did you get that pic of the babe posing with the plane? I'd love to see more of that.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

31 and counting...7 or so still NIB...and they are all ARF's...I still don't see the problem.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
atmycabin
My Feedback: (10)

Yup - wer'e all nuts! To prove it I just purchased a new plane which will require me to get a 91 4-Stroke, etc. This is harmless. I know folks who spend $100 for green fees and a chance to chase a little white ball around. Go figure!!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Badge

The way I looked at was I could be buying drugs instead (I'm not sure but I think this hobby could be considered a drug) My buying is slowing while I am waiting for my 52% Edge to arrive.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

MY WIFE WOULD SAY YOU PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF AMATURES--I buy stuff- I sell most of it before I build or fly it! (got it bad)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.