Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Pitts & Quadra 52 Weight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Pitts & Quadra 52 Weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Pitts & Quadra 52 Weight

I've been searching through all the Pitts links and am not finding information on the weight. How much should my Pitts weigh? I'm at 21 lbs! HELP I thought I should be lots less. Can anyone tell me what it should be?

Thanks

Sheldon
Old 10-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Pitts & Quadra 52 Weight

Good Lord!!!!

The manual calls out 14 to 16 pounds. Mine came out at 16 1/2 pounds empty with a Brisson 3.2 (52cc). A more realistic weight number for this plane seems to be between 16 and 18 pounds.

At 17 pounds (with gas), this plane lands fast. I can't imagine landing at 20 or 21 pounds. Take a look at your plane and see if can go on a diet anywhere. It may actually be too heavy for the structure. I would be very leary of the wings staying on in a high "G" manuever.

I'm certain that others with this plane will provide additional input.

Pat
Old 10-22-2003, 11:52 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Sounds to much to me. Just a idea, but if your using cheap bathroom scales they could be a few pounds off ,just hope its to the good!
Roy
Old 10-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Goldwing-RCU

I'M USING A DIGITL SCALE FROM OUR OFFICE. IT LOOKS LIKE A FISH SCALE. I'LL TRY ANONTHER SCALE AND THEN TRY TO CUT SOME WEIGHT. NOT SURE HOW OR WHERE BUT I'LL TRY.

I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE HOW IT HAPPENED. I PINNED AND GLASSED THE FIREWALL. EPOXIED BALSA TRI-STOCK INSIDE THE FIREWALL AND INSIDE THE BOX. I HAVE A SMOKE SYSTEM SO I DO HAVE AN EXTRA TANK, PUMP, 600MAH 4.8v BATTERY, AND SERVO TO OPERATE. HAVE ONE CHOKE/KILL SERVO. (USING CHOKE TO KILL ENGINE IF NEEDED) THE REST IS PRETTY MUCH LIKE MANUAL.

WELL, ONCE AGAIN THANKS

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY INPUT - THANKS

SHELDON
Old 10-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Tired Old Man

Sheldon;

You may want to think about eliminating the smoke system. I know, I know, what's a Pitts without smoke? But I think you're going to have to make a choice here. The odds are very high that you will have extreme difficulty landing and stopping your plane unless your runway is 100' wide and 1,000' long. This baby can BOUNCE!! This is without considering the increased "G" loading during high stress manuevers.

By the way, should you get into a bounce on your landing approach, don't try to finish that attempt with any thoughts of a successful landing. It probably won't happen. After the first bounce, unless it's really a little itty bitty one, go around and set up for a new approach and try again. It likes to be flown right to the point where the wheels are just about to touch before you come completely off the power. Keep just a touch of throttle on until the wheels are 2" or so off the ground, then hold it until she settles.

On my Pitts, I had to strip the top center section and re-sand it to match the end panels. I, too, added tri stock behind the firewall, added 1/8" ply inside the forward engine mount, built a mount for the ignition on the firewall, added "t" nuts at all the cabane to fuselage and cabane to wing mounting locations, installed a 1/8" ply doubler at the tailwheel mount for "t" nuts, pinned the firewall, added a second coat of epoxy, and other odds and ends.

Using 2 aileron servos and slave struts while mounting the other servos in the tail (all servos are coreless digitals), I came out at 16.5 pounds, dry. This included upgrading to better wheels (4" Dubro), an 1,800 Mah 4.8v battery for the receiver, and a 1,200 Mah 4.8v battery for the ignition. No lead was added anywhere for balance, just moving the batteries around did the trick. Oh, yea, I added a 1/8" ply plate the width of the battery from the gas tank bulkhead to the bulkhead just forward of the cockpit floor. I also mounted the throttle servo on the firewall box.

I wish you the best of luck. I really do think you can shave some tonnage if you look in the right places.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:31 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

With a Sachs 3.2 I'm at 18 # which took me by surprise. I was going to put smoke in it but now I'm waiting to see how it flys before I do that.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:53 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I have a ZDZ60RV in mine, four aileron servos, three tail servos, throttle servo, two batteries, two switches and stock tank. I just pinned the firewall with some 1/8" dowels and mounted the engine with 1/2" or 3/4" stand offs. My Rx, Rx battery and throttle servo is mounted under the pilot, ignition and ignition battery on outside firewall. Mine is slightly nose heavy, judging from the point of CG given in the instructions. My Pitts flys much like a trainer, or I should say, as easy to fly as a trainer, and to my surprise, it lands very easy as well. It does not exhibit the normal drop like a rock if cutting power, and it does not have a tendency to bounce. I haven't had mine on a scale, but since the ZDZ60RV is a light engine, it shouldn't be more than 16-17lbs. I have mine for sale, I am more of a funfly/3D type pilot, but it does look good swinging that 24x8 prop he he.
DKjens
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Goldwing-RCU

First thanks for your help! I stripped it down tonight. And tried to find my mistakes. The Scale is pretty accurate.

Wing Assy w/4 servos, struts, (Complete) 4 lbs 5 oz
Fuse Assy w/5 servos, Ign Bat, RX Bat, tank, switches (No wings or engine) 7 lbs 4 oz
Q52 with elec ingnition (no prop or spinner) 5 lbs 2 oz
smoke system w/servo, tank, pump, battery, hoses, (complete) 15 oz
Wheel Assy (no bolt on screws) 1 lbs 3 oz

So with cowl, spinner, prop, gear screws, etc and without smoke I should be able to get 18 1/2 to a max of 19 lbs. Will this do?

I still not sure where the extra weight came from. Does any thing above sound out of whack?
Old 10-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Tired Old Man

Hi Goldwing:

Differences in the materials used by the manufacturer may be the culprit. The new weight should work out ok. Might I make some suggestions for the first flight?

Balance the plane at the aft limit noted in the manual. I believe that is at 5 3/4" from the top leading edge. It will still be nose heavy at that point.

Set your low rate elevator to that of the high rate noted in the manual. Same for the ailerons.

Use about 30% exponential on both ailerons and elevator if you have it available.

Shoot a bunch of low approach/flybys to get the feel and look of the plane before your first touchdown. Since it's smaller that the monowings, it deceives you into being in the wrong place over the runway.

Practice a good power on and power off stall series with a little bit of altitude.

Now that we have covered the first 10 minutes of flight, if you have a 20oz or greater tank, you still have about 5 to 10 minutes left. Fun time!!

Have a great flight,

Pat
Old 10-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Rambo-RCU

Ok I just finished mine.G.P. Pitts W/Q52 cdi ignition and soft mounts no smoke.Wt. is 17lbs.14oz.I'd recheck those scales I tkink.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Okay, I'm getting a new scale today. Maybe it's in the scale (it used to be accurate) or the Manufacturing, or in my building. My guess it is a combination of all three. It would be nice to at least be under the 18 lbs mark! I'll know more soon. If indeed it is a pig, I'll do as the Silversurfur (thanks) says and give it a try! Thanks for all the help!

Oh, almost forgot, I'll curl the antenna wire and rename it PIGGY!
Old 10-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Mine is a little over 18lbs and I have a 3W-75, and I also have smoke.

It is noticible heavier with the smoke tank full but I go through it quick!

Don

More pics at www.rnlinc.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61650.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	70476  
Old 10-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Don,

Does the 18# plus weight cause any issues with flight, taking off or landing? Of course a 3W-75 is a bit more power then my Quadra 52, but your insight would still make me feel better.

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 10-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Nope!

The plane is VERY EASY to fly!! I do better with wheel landings (i have flown the real one and it also is easier to do wheel landings) than 3-point but it does those just fine too.

Take off is 1/3 throttle let the tail come up and once off the ground slowly feed in power, should naturaly feed in some rudder while doing this.

Once in the air the plane flys like a trainer even when on the heavy side. I have mine way way aft cg and it does just fine.

I am using duralite 4000mah battries which are about the same weight as a JR 1800, I run the slimeline smoke pump and the rest of this plane off of the 1 duralite batt. I started out with the bat under the canopy but the plane was way nose heavy (which makes for a faster landing). The bat is now just in-front of the tail.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Don

www.rnlinc.com
Old 08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Roadrunner1390

Well, I just weighed my pitts w/ the quadra 52, full smoke system. The emty weight is 18 lbs. The thing flys good but is a pig doing any type of climbing or a series of maneuvers. I am swinging a LN Zinger 20x8 prop. I have a thread out for a better prop. I am new at the bigger plane stuff. The plane gets off the ground well and seems to have pleanty of speed. The landings need to be power on and flying it to the ground then setteling in by reducing the throttle. The landing gear will bend easy so watch out !!!!!

Any help with the prop size will be greatly apprecheated. (the big ones get $$$$$)

Roadrunner..................
Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 PM
rfw1953

Mine weighs between 17-18 lbs dry with a DA-50, Pitts style muffler,True Turn spinner, smoke system, four servos for the ailerons, choke servo, three servos in the tail, Sullivan rubber wheels, two 1100 NiCd's and one 1700 NiCd with three switches. Wet it's around 21 lbs or so and drops like a rock on a DS, of which I had three with only one doing minor damage. It flies well and can handle the weight, but not fun with a DS. Just get it down and and avoid turning unless you have plenty of altitude. Mine lands fine and not all that fast, but it doesn't float down.

I use a Menz-S 22X8 prop and like the performance. Good vertical with authority but not a T'roller.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25601.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	164700  
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 AM
BasinBum

Roadrunner,
Take that Zinger and throw it as far away from the plane as you can. You are under propped and I'd guess you are turning well over 7500 rpm which is not good for a new engine. As you break in you will get additional power as well but if you go to the Menz 22x8 or an NX 21x8 you will get much better vertical performance right away.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
RonHill

I have one with a G62 in it. Its loads of fun, but yes, if it bounces go around.

I flew an Eagle with a G45, and it lacked power but seemed to fly better.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:29 AM
xaamech

HI,
Just reading the post on your pitts. How much are you selling it for?
If it's in my price range, I'll talk to you more about purchasing it.
Thanks