Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Giles 300

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Yellow Aircraft Giles 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Dave 6.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Giles 300

I'm Looking at the Giles 300 60 size plane at http://www.yellowaircraft.com/aerobatic/aerobatic.htm
I've read almost nothing but good about Yellow Aircr. models except price and build effort are a little higher compared to some other brands. That's ok with me if the quality and performance is there.

I would be inclined to hang a 4 stroke on the nose. I also like the Sukhoi and Cap 232 from Yellow and Cap 232 from Kangke.

Anybody had experience or opinions about the Giles 300 (60 size) or the Sukhoi or Cap?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:28 AM
captainpitts

Default RE: Yellow Aircraft Giles 300

I have had several yellow aircraft planes and the flight performance is awesome I've had/have the 30 size cap the 60 size edge and the 120 size sukhoi. the quality on all of them has been excellent. yeah you pay a little more but they are worth it IMHO. all ultracote covered with overlapping seams (no trim colors put over a solid color). I think people over look yellow aircraft because they cost a little more but man they fly. my edge came out @ 7#3oz. and that is way below the aeroworks or even the pacific aeromodeling edges. This plane just floats on landings and will do some of the smoothest and some of the wildest tricks in the book. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of their planes. Good luck though with what ever plane you choose.

Steve
Old 11-28-2003, 02:59 PM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

Well said Steve. Right back'atcha.

The Yellow Aircraft aerobatic ARF series are fantastic. Amazing flyers, excellent build quality. Scattered throughout RCU forums are threads on YA and how folks really dig them (usually!).

The Saito 100 is a great match for the 60-size YA ARFs. The 91 is fine, but don't expect unlimited verticle. We've got a few videos of the YA in action at http://www.mit.edu/~juhan/rc_home.html

If you have any questions, give me a holler.

Yours,
Juhan
Old 11-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Dave 6.0

Thanks Steve and Juhan

I will take a look at the video. I think I'm going to order one - the Giles. The Saito 100 sounds like the engine to go with, is there more vibration with the Saitos vs. OS Max 91 though?

Are these the same as the ones at Fun-Key http://www.fun-key.com.hk/giles60.htm
? They look identical.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:08 PM
captainpitts

I actually have a 91 fx in my edge and it has unlimited vertical and just gobs of power. The sukhoi has an os 1.60 and wow what a tumbley plane it will do stuff that doesn't even have a name. I had a tt.46 in the little cap and it was a blast until I got a little too low, oops
good luck you will be happy with any of the yellow aircraft.

Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Dave 6.0

Well, I ordered a Giles 300 60-size from Yellow, and should get it tomorrow or early next week. Meanwhile, set on an OS FS-91/pump, my main man at the LHS showed me the OS, YS, and a Saito FA-100. After comparing weights, power, cost, and ease of use, I settled on the Saito. I've run many 2 strokes in my time but this is my 1st 4 stroke. From reading lots of threads it sounds like the one for this job.

As for the YA Giles G300 - 60, sounds like a solid deal, but not totally without problems, something about fiberglass v-stab, misfitting elevator, belly pan fit (I think ?), oh, and don't cross the pull pull (or it's ok to ?). I read as much as I could find in RCU about the G300, and the Saito 100. Well, I have experience building both kits and ARF's so I hope I can work out the problems. If anyone has any more construction or flying experience with the plane, I'd like to hear it . May seek further guidance from you Yellow 60 sized experts. (Thanks in advance)

I like the clean lines of the G300, looks like it should fly well as long as the power and weight are within good tolerances. [8D]
Old 12-04-2003, 11:31 PM
captainpitts

yeah the vertical stab is glass but its not hard to do it still has a wooden trailing edge. mine fit good right out of the box. As far as crossing pull pull on the rudder I have and never had a problem. My elevator wasn't a problem either. I haven't seen the giles before other than on the website but I'm sure you will love it. Good luck and keep us posted how its going.

Steve
Old 12-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Dave 6.0

Hey Steve and Juhan -

Do the Yellow ARF's come with an adequate motor mount? I have been assuming not, my kit order didn't arrive yet, so I don't know. If not, what do you recommend, some kind of vibration dampening type like Dave Brown? Haven't read anything about the landing gear being weak, this one is even painted supposedly, is it beefy enough?

Any recommendations for receiver, battery capacity, and ESPECIALLY servos? I will be using a JR XP8103 Tx and prefer JR & Hitec gear (pos. pulse).

I've been doing smaller electric stuff, so I'm not very up to speed on the bigger gear.

Juhan, did you finish and fly the YA 60 size Giles, and did you shoot any video of it?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 PM
captainpitts

Dave
The engine mount that it comes with is just fine it's a real nice beam type mount. As far as the landing gear go they are of good quality too. And yes they are painted. They, as well as the fiberglass parts match the covering perfect. The setup I used on my edge was one hs 605 on the rudder mounted in the middle running pull-pull. Two 3004 futabas(one on each elevator half) mounted on either side of the rudder the a separate mount a little forward for the throttle. I also used 3004's on the ailerons. I know the 3004's are just standards and I usually do over power my servos but it's what I had and so far it has worked just fine. I think I have an 4.8v 1100 mah NiCD for the battery and any good dual conversion narrow band receiver will work just fine. the only thing I can say about the construction is that the way you align the engine is really weird. first you mount it on the ails with the proper distance then you stand the plane on its tail and set the engine/mount on the firewall, slide your cowling over it and adjust the engine/cowling until they line up. Very unusual procedure. The instructions aren't that bad and the build is pretty strait forward not much diffrent than any other arf. I hope this helps you. Let me know if there is any other questions that I can help you with and keep us posted. Good luck.

Steve
Old 12-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

I have the 60 extra 300L..it is pure awesome....this plane is a little stubby for a 60 size but it will tumble and SNAP...SNAP...SNAP...I do have the 91 saito and no unlimited vert...you have to fly it...more than enough power to do what a real plane can do..I have a FuntanaS with a 100 Saito on it and no vibration to mention !! but damn what an engine !!! wish I had it on my Extra..but they are 2 diffrent planes all together anyway !!! The Yellow Aircraft guys have great customer service and their fit and finish is second to none

I'm picky, and I'm happy
Old 12-06-2003, 10:49 AM
captainpitts

If I'm not mistaken the extra and the cap were earlier yellow arfs. The sukhoi 60, giles 60/120 and the edge 60/120 are all newer designs built a little lighter and a little different, i.e. airfoiled horizontal and vertical stabs. But i still love even the older ones. I picked up the 120 sukhoi on ebay for 200 bucks ,what a deal, and it is really awesome tumbles into maneuvers I have never seen before. gotta love fun-key.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Dave 6.0

Yeah, I was torn between the Sukhoi, the Cap and the Giles. I saw a 30 size Sukhoi hanging in consignment in a LHS and it looks very meticulously formed and constructed.

Iceman, glad to hear that your Saito has no vibration to mention, that was a concern about the engine (which I have).

Steve, what a deal, $200 for a Sukhoi 120, what a pick up! Thanks for a little history on the Yellow/Fun-Key. What powers your Sukhoi 120?

If you guys have any pictures, I'd love to see them.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:04 PM
captainpitts

I have an o.s. 1.6 fx and me it really hauls this plane around. No lack of power here I only have about 8 flights on it but I am really liking the sukhoi, gotta love a big ole radial.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave 6.0

Default motor sideways or inverted?

Ok, so now I have the Saito FA 100 and the YA Giles 60 size in hand. The plane kit looks very nice, and seems like it should be a very light build. I once built a Sig Kougar which had a sheeted foam core wing and balsa sheet box fuselage, plank balsa stabs. If flew very well with a ST 60 and trike gear hanging down all the time. Flew it for about 10 years and then sold it. This Giles is going to have a lot more wing area and size and way more power for the weight. I better brace myself!

In mounting the engine, I prefer to cut the least out of the cowling as possible, but also would probably prefer an inverted mount to a sideways mount. I have no problem with getting a fuel regulator and a Slimline Pitts type muffler to accommodate an inverted mount if that all fits without cutting too much. What do you guys think, sideways or inverted?
Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 AM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: motor sideways or inverted?

Keep the engine mounted sideways... easier to get at the glowplug, easier to start, etc.

Have a blast,
Juhan
Old 12-13-2003, 10:19 AM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

I have my Saito 100 mounted sideways with a remote glow. Also the engine fits w/o cutting through the cowl. You will love this plane. If I could add anything to this thread, you should be sure to use a High Torque servo for the rudder. John
Old 12-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Dave 6.0

Thanks John for the guidance on the rudder servo.

Ok, sideways it is. Are the supplied motor mounts ok or do I need vibration reducing mounts?

Does the tank supplied have large enough tubing? The silicon PU tubing looks like a pretty small ID.

What hinges should be used on the control surfaces and do you epoxy or CA them? I'm use to using the old nylon pinned hinges.

I looked more closely at the built up parts and the fiberglass parts and they all look very nice.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:26 AM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

Dave,

OS makes a mount that fits the Saito 100 perfectly. People at my hobby shop are all usuing these mounts for their Saito 100's. I have no vibration and the engine is smooth. I did have to adjust the low end because it was running rough between idle and 1/4 throttle. Not a big deal. Once it's set you will never have to touch the low end again. So if you could run it w/o the cowl to see if low end adjustment is needed. I would also change the stock plug to a F plug. I wasn't a Saito fan until I bought the 100. I also used quality tubing but forget which brand it is. I've had two 180's and they vibrate like crazy. I used the stock hinges for the plane. I put the plane through all it's paces and haven't had any problems.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:07 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

I bought the complete set up YA Giles 300 60 size an OS 91 4 stroke I am not a builder and do not enjoy doing it at all. I found the threads to be right on with the tail assembly. The vertical glass stab didn't like to fit where it was supposed to go on top of the horizontal tail. There left a gap between the 2 that I had to fill with wood because I didn't trust my self to build up the wing saddle to the right height. This in turn threw off the rudder placement with the tail wheel. Some minor adjustments and all was well. Being the inexperienced builder that I am I didn't realize that one should not trust laser cut models to a tee. Apparently the horizontal tail saddle was not cut at a zero incidence level with the rest of the wing areas. Not knowing this ahead of time made its maiden voyage a very very nerve racking one. On the plus side a little adjustment from the right independent elevator and it flys nice and straight. I don't consider this a flawless plane but very fun. My flights have been reliable and steady nothing crazy with it yet and landings are on the quick side. I can probably slow it down a little more than I think but I am afraid of tip stalling which I understand these models have a tendency to do above the fun fly types.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Dave 6.0

I haven't started putting it together yet, but when I do I will take special care with attaching the vert. stab and the horiz. stab both. I have an incidence meter that will hopefully help me get them right on (or very close). I will mount the Saito horizonally and will use a Cline regulator with it. Also I ordered a Slimline Pitts muffler for a horiz. mounted Saito 100 today, hope they aren't on backorder. Thanks guys for the tips and the heads-up.