Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 80" Cap 2 piece wing?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 80" Cap 2 piece wing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:58 AM
rc-mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 80" Cap 2 piece wing?

Hello Everyone,

I have a Hangar 9 80" Cap that is a blast to fly, but a pain to transport. Has anyone ever converted an ARF with a one piece wing to a 2 piece wing while maintaining structural integrity? It is a really nice plane except this one pain.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 80" Cap 2 piece wing?

I've assembled two of the 80" H9 Caps and IMO it can't be done. What COULD be done, is buy the wing kit for the Midwest Cap kit which is roughly the same dimensions and convert THAT to a 2 piece wing. The Midwest Cap is a one piece wing but making the conversion in a kit is no big deal, howver, doing this in an ARF is probably more trouble than it's worth.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:27 PM
rc-mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I was afraid of. I can transport it, but it is a big hassle. Where can you get a midwest wing from? How much would you have to do to get it to fit the H9 fuse and what all do you have to do to make it a 2 piece wing?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:08 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Midwest. Many companies sell kits for subassemblies (I know Sig does). The Midwest Cap also has a 80" wing, so the dimensions at the root will be very close. You will have to adjust the center "cutout" area to fit the H9 fuse. As to making it a 2 piece wing, the main part will be accurately cuting the hole in the ribs to accept a 1" phenolic tube and reinforce accordingly. Look at the new Great Planes Extra 300 for a practical method of securing a 2 piece wing in a bottom mounted setup.

A detailed explanation would take more time than I have available, but perhaps you can enlist the help of an experienced kit or scratch builder at your club.