Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 PM
spyder0069

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

P.S.

New members at the field usually greet me by "hey are you that guy with the warbird who's buddy shot him down?". The legend preceeds me. Ha ha ha

Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM
old bird

Spyder0069, At least your plane went down with glory, unlike most of our crashes. Those clevises are truly junk, I went through them and could break them apart with almost no effort. I used Sullivan on everything but the tailwheel pushrod. Also the wire for the tailwheel gear was as soft as copper, we had trouble there on the early take-offs. We had two more flights today with the Zero and it is getting better and better. One comment today was that it was not scale speed, but that's OK with me, I like having one airplane now that goes fast. At least faster than our trainers, first tail-wheels, the Decathalon, etc. The Zero LOOKS like a fighter plane going by at full throttle and I like that. Something new in our hangar is speed. If we crashed this plane tomorrow, I think that I would order another one. Going fishing for a few days, back next week and back to RC about wednesday.

Best regards from old bird.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
spyder0069

I totally agree. Nothing like a warbird with the fourstroke wide open across the runway and pulling up with a tail wag or victory roll. Scale or no scale I prefer the fun factor. I can always slow down... but why? My buddies mustang or corsair couldn't touch it for manoeuvrability. If we pulled into a yank and bank contest his would snap out where my zero could spiral and gain altitude. The only thing he had close to it was a texan but it still couldn't pull them as tight. He had two strokes in his. And while I have all two stokes now for their simplicity and light weight it really doesn't do a warbird justice to put a two stroke in it. Right now I am without a warbird. Probably not for long.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:04 PM
justmeme

Sorry to hear about your zero i also built one and installed sc 52 four stroke in it ,and seem suited as i had no balancing to do she was perfect but i had the same fate with the plastic clevis and she crashed bad ,not repairable,i also had the engine very forward as you can see by the picture .ground handeling is great ,i am impressed with seagul models as i have had three and now onto see fury ,which i will start to build in a couple [img][/img]of weeks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13845.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	336153  
Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 PM
water.boy

I'm a complete newbie, I've only flown my buddy's trainer around but I also have a heli that I can kind of fly.

Couldn't resist temptation and picked up a Seagull Zero this weekend at an RC auction. There were some good deals to be had and I think I got one. Fully assembled kit w/ JR electronics and a Thunder Tiger 61 which I might change out (your opinions are welcome). Never been flown and I got it for $200. After reading about the CG I'm wondering if I'd be pretty close with the weight of the 61. I'll use my friend's CG rig to check it just to be sure (if I can figure out how to work it). Also plan to swap the clevis connectors out w/ metal ones.

I also picked up a used PT-19 but I'm not sure who made the kit. I got an Evolution .46 to go in it now all I need is servos and minor hardware. $100 in it, isn't a steal but I still think I did well.

I was considering buying the new Hangar9 PTS Mustang but since my buddy said I could train on his Sky Raider I'm glad I picked up two nice warbirds for $100 less than the PTS! I have a 6ch radio that should work for both of these birds.

Glad to add another hobby to my list!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
old bird

water.boy, I have a Magnum .91 4-stroke in our SG Zero, we still had to put 4 ounces of weight on the firewall, and the battery is mounted on the left side of the firewall box. Our CG is 1/4" behind the main spar where the wing joins the body. The plane flies really well, just be ready with some right rudder on take-off. The Japanese Zero with its short nose requires some weight up front to balance correctly, that's why we went with the heavy engine.

Best of luck with yours, regards from old bird.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
old bird

water.boy, I have a Magnum .91 4-stroke in our SG Zero, we still had to put 4 ounces of weight on the firewall, and the battery is mounted on the left side of the firewall box. Our CG is 1/2" behind the main spar where the wing joins the body. The plane flies really well, just be ready with some right rudder on take-off. The Japanese Zero with its short nose requires some weight up front to balance correctly, that's why we went with the heavy engine. The tail-wheel wire was too soft, almost like copper, so we made a new one from better wire. Also replaced the clevises with metal ones.

Best of luck with yours, regards from old bird.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:57 PM
stallwart

I know this thread has been dead for over a year, but I've been building this plane from replacement parts, since I couldn't find the ARF anywhere.

Lot's of good information and advice in this thread, and I'm heeding it all.

I decided to add a little cockpit detail by cutting down the sides a bit and painting the plane in the Japanese Navy light grey-green. I'm toying with the idea of overpainting the upper surfaces to simulate a field applied camo scheme.

Name:	Zx71483.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	586757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51933.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	586758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30414.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	586759  
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Stallwart - bring your plane to the field on Monday. I'm waiting on Mr. FedEx to bring my new one to me. I'll bring the mock-up to show you what I plan to do.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
stallwart

If it doesn't stop raining, I might have to finish it as an A6M2-N (Rufe) and put floats on it.

The paint is still curing, but I might try to bring it since none of my other planes have mudflaps.

I saw a FedEx truck float by here a little while ago
Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 AM
stallwart

Evidently, this thread is totally dead. I'll still post a picture of the progress I'm making with this ARF.

Somewhere on this site I read about someone who was modifying the wing tips, horizontal and vertical stabs to a more scale appearance. I'd like to see the result, although I'm not skilled enough to attempt these modifications.

Here goes............

Name:	Bz77407.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	594734  
Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
RACJ

Where can you get one of these ARFS now. I have 46 size P-51 and would like to have a Zero. THANKS,RACJ
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
bassfisher

Stallwart- is that it??? I can't wait to see it at the field. I've started my CMP Zero. Had to strenghen the fuse, but so far so good. Going to put my 70 in it from the U-Can-Do. Should be enough power. I have a a time trying to find matching paint, I went a got some Tamiya JN Green, but its a little dark. I'm undecided if I should just paint the rest of the model , or stop where I'm at. If you want, I'll put the picture of yours in the newsletter.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM
bassfisher

Hey Stallwart, what engine did you use? And where is your CG at?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: RACJ

Where can you get one of these ARFS now. I have 46 size P-51 and would like to have a Zero. THANKS,RACJ

RACJ,

I couldn't find the ARF anywhere so I bought wing set, tail set, fuse and cowl from Horizon Hobbies as replacement parts and downloaded the manual. Since I would have chucked most of the hardware and tank, I figure it only cost about $50.00 more than the complete ARF would if it were still available.

I saw a built used Seagull Zero in a LHS today complete with receiver, servos, battery and TT-51 2 stroke for $225.00. He also has a built used CMP 50 size Zero w/ retracts and retract servo included for sale, but I don't recall the price.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
stallwart

Bassfisher,

The darker green is probably more correct than the factory color. I haven't set the CG yet, but am planning to try it between 1/4" & 1/2" behind the spar. I usually like to start at the spar, but many people reported good flight characteristics with CG aft of the spar.

I'm using a 52NX 2-stroke on this one since most 4-strokes poke too far out of the cowl and I didn't want to cut the firewall and move it back.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 PM
bassfisher

Well, I just got done finished painting the entire top side the dark green (you talked me into it!!) Now to just hit the bottom with the orange and then shoot everything with flat clear coat. I'm still thinking at the spar or just forward of it for the CG. If it's not too bad this weekend, I'll bring mine out to the field.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
stallwart

Dunno, best you check posts regarding the CMP Zero's CG. There's some debate over correct CG for that bird. With the short nose compared to other planes the correct location is more critical.

In any event, if the weather is good, I'll be there and I know you will have a successful maiden. I might even bring a camera.

As for my Seagull Zero, I'm not sure if the Rustoleum paint will be fuelproof after several weeks curing, or if I will need to clearcoat with Monokote clear or not. Anyone?...............??
Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 AM
oldtyme

I have this plane..........it is a blast to fly! I put an OS46FX in it with a Slimline sport muffler and it sounds good too. When I take it out to the field, a flyin' buddy of mine flys his H9 Corsair with me in mock combat..........what a hoot!!! A couple of other guys with sport planes decided to join us and one of them was trying to outrun the Zero and was not doing to good at it and once in an aerial loop maneuver he said "man that thing's just like a gnat........ya can't get away from it." I hope I don't crash it because it would be hard to replace. I just bought a Top Flite "Red Box" Zero off of Ebay so that I had a kit of this warbird...........but I had to pay through the nose for it.

You'll enjoy playing with the Zero,

Cheers,
Andy
Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM
stallwart

Oldtyme,
Thanks for your report on this plane. Do you remember where you set the CG? It seems to be a topic of debate with some Seagull planes.
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
locolobot

You can get the Phoenix Zero which is produced in the same factory at Tower Hobby. There is no difference in the planes.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: locolobot

You can get the Phoenix Zero which is produced in the same factory at Tower Hobby. There is no difference in the planes.

Can you send a link? I've searched and can't find diddly.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 AM
locolobot

Did not find a zero listed at Tower Hobby but here is a link to one on ebay and if you contact the seller he will probably sell you one or get you one. He is very prompt with his delivery of planes and very reliable to deal with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Zero-Fighter...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
stallwart

Thanks for the link. Turns out it's the CMP Zero with fibreglass fuse. I already have one unbuilt in the box. I think it's the smae one Bassfisher is working on.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 AM
locolobot

It seems that there are two Seagull ARF zeros on ebay. Here is the link to one of them . Both are by the same seller. Wish you luck in getting them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2974&rd=1&rd=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.