Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
stallwart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models Zero ARF - Online Build

Initially, I added about 2oz, but now only have about 3/4oz on the engine box at the left side of the firewall. The battery is mounted above the fuel tank, so that helps with nose weight.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:50 PM
FlyFanatic

Sounds good, 55 ax it is. Did you use a standard rx pack or did you go with 1000 or 1500 etc?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
stallwart

I use a Hitech 1100 maH ni-cad for the receiver. I've had good luck with their packs.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I am building this Seagull Zero for a friend. He has given me a OS 70 four stroke for the engine. The supplied motor mount will not support a four stroke engine. I have a great planes motor mount but this put the 70 four stroke to far forward. I looks like if we want to use this OS 70 four stroke in the plane we'll have to cut about 1" off of the motor box and reattach the firewall[:'(] Has anyone out the mounted a four stroke engine to this war bird without having to cut anything off the motor box?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 PM
stallwart

I am faced with the same dilemma. Although my Seagull Zero has a 52 2-stroke installed now, I have a new cowl and would like to install a Saito 82. Even with the 2-stroke, the cowl is too long and the engine is a bit too far forward, but this is not a scale plane and is designed for sport flying.

You might have already seen posts earlier in this thread that someone else installed an OS 70 and had to move the firewall back.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
jstanton

It looks like I will just cut 1" off the motor box and move the firewall back. I was hoping there might be another motor mount that might work. I fell the 70 four stroke will be a better all arounf engine for this plane. i plane on usinf a 12x8 3 bladed prop. It should look really cool
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM
stallwart

Sounds like a good combination.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 PM
oldtyme

Wow..........there are still people talking about this plane. I love my Zero........bought it several years back and love flying it. I was out at the field two summers ago with it and flying combat with a H9 Corsair and some other plane both sporting OS61FX's and I have an OS46FX in mine and one of the guys asked what I had in the plane..........he says that it was like a gnat.......he couldn't get away from it. I hope this one doesn't meet with an untimely death because of the fact that Seagull discontinued it...........and I have to ask WHY!!!![:'(]

This is a neat plane. A friend of mine has one that has never been flown and probably won't be and I asked if I could buy it but he says he wants to keep it..........darn. [:@]

Cheers all,
Andy
Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 PM
stallwart

It is fast! I changed to a 11x7 3-blade hoping to slow it down a bit. Result: Just as fast.

When I looked for one of these, it was already disco'd. I bought replacement parts, wing set, tail feathers, fuse, cowling and canopy to complete mine. It cost more, but worth it to me.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
old bird

Jstanton and Stallwart, We have had two of the
Seagull Zeros. A great flying warbird with a Magnum .91 four stroke up front. We cut the firewall off and about 7/8" of the box. Then we glued the firewall back on using tri-stock all around and epoxy. I can't remember what motor mount we used. We had the battery mounted on the side of the engine mount box and still had to add some lead to balance. The plane was very fast with the .91 turning a Master Airscrew 13-8 three blade prop. We had a black plastic three blade spinner on them and they looked very Zero like in the air. We lost one of ours due to pilot error, and the other due to the battery lead being cut by an epoxy burr around the hole in the firewall for the wire to go back to the switch. Should have used a rubber grommet there. Probably had over 100 flights between the two of them. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they were still available.

Best regards from old bird.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
jstanton

Old Bird,

Thanks for the reply about the motor box & 4 stroke installation. I am going to cut 1" off of the motor box and reinstall the firewall like you said. I have a OS 70 4 stroke I plan to us with a MAS 12x8 prop. I will use a 2600mah 6v battery and install it on the motor box. I also have change the landing gear. I had a Hanger 9 P-51 gear off of thier P-51 trainer. The gear is 7/32 steel and angled forward more than the stock gear. I hope this will put some extra weight forward to help with the CG.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
jstanton

Well I am finished building this Zero and the OS-70 FS did fit inside the cowl once I moved in 1" father back on the motor box. I am a little worried about the CG like most have been. Like some others here I have it set the CG at 1/4" behind the main wing spar at the fuselage. I hope this is a good place to start Hope the do the maiden flight this coming Saturday
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
stallwart

According to the manual CG is 6-8 centimeters (2-3/8" to 3-1/8") from leading edge measured at wing tip.

I don't remember where that relates to wing spar, but you might want to check to be sure.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 PM
jstanton

Stallwart,

I made a small doe on the outer most ribs at 2 3/8" than ran a line between the two. I than marked the wing at the fuselage. It came out to 1/4" behind the main wing spar. I hope this works out.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
stallwart

Then you shouldn't be far off. This plane is a good flyer, and the washout at the tips make it manageable at lower speeds, although I wouldn't call it a floater.

Good luck on the maiden and post some pics if you can.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 AM
jstanton

I just cannot believe how much extra weight I have had to add to the motor box to get this plane balanced. So far I have added 6oz plus I have moved the 6v 2500 nimh battery to the top of the motor box and she still needs more weight. It looks like I will have to add another 6oz. I did have to move the firewall back 1" to get the OS 70 FS to fit into the cowl. I just hope the plane can handle this extra weight and be a good flyer
Old 09-20-2015, 07:50 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, mine needed 18oz of nose weight to balance, so back to the drawing board!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Towpro

Originally Posted by milkman-RCU
Not a lot of interest expressed on this ARF, but I might as well post the finished product. It was one of the easiest ARF's I have every assembled. Other than the cowl, the rest of the plane went fast. Some of the best fitting parts of any ARF I have assembled.

I opted to mount the TT 46 engine sideways with a Pitts muffler rather than inverted as the instructions indicate. I don't like to mount 2 strokes inverted unless I have too.

I will try and get it in the air in the next couple of weeks. A great plane for $139.
Have the same plane, did you use the supplied motor mount when you changed it to side mounted or ?