Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

nexstar engine running backwards

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

nexstar engine running backwards

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 AM
flyboy138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nexstar engine running backwards

I started my nexstar today for the first time. It seemed to run fine but sometimes when I give it over half throttle It just dies. It starts right back up but sometimes when it starts up it runs backwards. Do all engines do this or and I doing something seriously wrong? is there any
way to prevent this?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-02-2004, 01:52 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: nexstar engine running backwards

All of my MDS engines do it once in a while as do my OS engines. The OS's don't do it as often.
It happens more when you flip start them. A electric starter would cure the problem. I always flip start mine with a chicken stick, but I bump them clockwise against compression and they almost always start the right way now.

Jesse
Old 01-02-2004, 03:32 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all 2 strokes will run backwards just as good as they do forwards. The case with our model engines is that they get their intake from the crank shaft at a specific point in cylinder travel, and when run backwards our engines try to push air out of the carb when you go above half throttle because of the timing of the intake hole in the crank. A dirtbike engine with reed valves howver will run backwards and wont have this problem. Usually when this happens to me on my os46fx i just play with throttle and get it to the point where its wanting to die and keep lower the throttle so it dosnt die, eventually you'll find you can get the engine to kick forwards the right way by doing that without it dieing. or just get an electric start and never have the problem, thats what i did. Just zing it and it starts right up!

sean
Old 01-02-2004, 03:53 PM
flyboy138

Thanks guys
I will get an electric start.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:27 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

If your motor is dying as you advance the throttle, it might be a little too lean. You could also try opening the throttle til it starts to die then open the needle valve a bit. If it picks up and runs better, it was lean. A too rich engine will blubber and spit some but will usually run. A lean one will quit. An electric starter won't make it run any better. Just makes it start the right direction. Also sometimes the throttle setting(open too far) will make them start backwards.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:04 AM
flyboy138

thanks ec 121 i will remember that[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-03-2004, 01:47 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

[8D]hi

generally this is due to a too rich setting of hight speed needle valve. close needle valve and open about 1 1/2 turns, start engine with will be running very rich and slowly lean for max rpm and then richen to lower rpm slightly. this will make th engine run on the slight rich side. also sometimes when this happens you can flip the prop backwards to start, then adjust needle valve for proper running.

then when you reach this point you can briefly pinch the fuel line to the carburetor and if properly set the rpm should increase slightly. just briefly pinch the line.

good luck and happy flying...hope this helps

joe